Google Glass

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I just watched a cool demo for the new Google Glass product. (see the techcrunch.com site)

With many folks having fun using the Go Pro cameras, I wonder how general Aviation might employ this new product? Just sharing our experiences? Any training uses? I'm curious to hear y'alls take on this.

Here is a picture of what this looks like.

20120627_Rafe_Project_Glass_001_610x470.jpg

And the article that had the photo: http://cnet.co/LFZb9C

This could be an interesting way to bring in some HUD views, or a different way to display SVT.

I saw this episode, it's a trick...

0.jpg

(early apologies if no one gets the connection!)

What kind of apps do you foresee being written for this? Put your thinking hats on.

It could make a neat rentable art museum or city tour guide... as you walk around, it knows where you are based on GPS and image recognition (what you're looking at) and displays information and could give you an audio narrative through its built in speaker to tell you about the piece or place you're looking at.

Maintenance where acesss to tech manuals is needed. Quickly bring up diagrams, pictures, tables that aid in doing the work well.

Business where the person on the other end needs to see the objects you are viewing as you converse about it.

Enhanced view of the object your looking at. Camera can be zoomed in for a 3x or 5x view and allow you to see details.

Some warfighter applications are possible. View from the UAV overhead, blueprints of the structure enhanced with visualizations of the location of friendliest and enemy.

Tower controllers being able to look outside and see info usually on the radar screens overlaid on the aircraft they are looking at.

I want to meet someone on the street and have the glasses do a quick facial recognition so I can remember their damn name. I'm so bad with names.

Tech to fix human problems usually adds more problems than it solves. But it does pay well for those who fix it for those who bought it thinking it'd lower their problems. :)

Anyone remember the ads in comics for X-Ray glasses?

Skydiving out of an airship, the ultimate in jumping from a non-moving platform.

Back