Google Earth?

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
Has anyone here ever tried Google Earth?
It has to be the most interesting use of the Terraserver type data I've ever seen. It will do routes, maps, and all the usual stuff. But it will also do "flying" with a joystick button and all that jazz. You can zoom in from space, 100's of miles up and watch it "fly" to your chosen location. Includes London and other such places too. It' will tilt and pan and all that cool stuff. It was used by the news agencies to do computer "flybys" of Baghdad during the invasion.
I've included a tilted screen shot of PXE, Perry-Houston County Ga Airport.
The basic version is free. Plus and Pro versions are cheap and expensive, respectively.
Just Google "Google Earth" to find the download.
BTW you need Win2K or later and broadband. It streams a LOT of data when you go "flying".

http://earth.google.com/

Last edited:
It's an impressive tool to get an overview of terrain I've found but some country areas don't have very high resolution. Haven't tried the flying feature you speak of, just zooming here & there for me so far has been some fun.

Keith Lane said:
Has anyone here ever tried Google Earth?
It has to be the most interesting use of the Terraserver type data I've ever seen. It will do routes, maps, and all the usual stuff. But it will also do "flying" with a joystick button and all that jazz. You can zoom in from space, 100's of miles up and watch it "fly" to your chosen location. Includes London and other such places too. It' will tilt and pan and all that cool stuff. It was used by the news agencies to do computer "flybys" of Baghdad during the invasion.
I've included a tilted screen shot of PXE, Perry-Houston County Ga Airport.
The basic version is free. Plus and Pro versions are cheap and expensive, respectively.
Just Google "Google Earth" to find the download.
BTW you need Win2K or later and broadband. It streams a LOT of data when you go "flying".

http://earth.google.com/

Yep, it is amazing. My hanger door is open! Hope they get more high res up soon.

Back