Google Earth?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
A few years ago I downloaded Google Earth onto my home desktop. The computer is starting to slow down so I'm trying to clean out unecssary crap and programs. Given that can just go to Google Maps online and type in a locatin and see the view is the Google Earth program really needed now. Is there any difference between what you get or see on google earth than you do from the website?

A few years ago I downloaded Google Earth onto my home desktop. The computer is starting to slow down so I'm trying to clean out unecssary crap and programs. Given that can just go to Google Maps online and type in a locatin and see the view is the Google Earth program really needed now. Is there any difference between what you get or see on google earth than you do from the website?

Certain views, fly to, other such ephemera.

Viewing Historical Imagery

To access historical imagery, do one of the following:
  • Click View > Historical Imagery
  • Click the Clock icon
    time_button.png
    in the toolbar above the 3D viewer.

Google Earth is pretty different from Google Maps. The key thing is Google Earth is a real 3D view. FWIW Google Earth shouldn't be slowing your computer down in any way. Unless you're actively using it, it stays out of the way.

As a student, I use Google Earth to plan flights and to review my GPS tracks from flights. The main thing it offers over Google Maps is a view of altitude and terrain. I plot a crosscountry in Google Earth, or load a GPS track, then I look at it my altitude vs. where the terrain is to better visualize things. It's been a big help, both to avoid mountains and to see glide slopes in pattern work, etc. (For an example, here's my first solo as a Google Earth KMZ).

Last edited:
It's been a big help, both to avoid mountains and to see glide slopes in pattern work, etc. (For an example, here's my first solo as a Google Earth KMZ).

Yes you can really analyze your flight that way.

What gps tracker do you use, and how do you generate the kmz? I use AMOD and gpsvisualizer.com.

Back