Google Earth

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
Have you guys seen this? It's a new feature/program from Google. Different from their maps/sat pics though. This is a 3/D (sort of) program that you can "zoom" into any address or location, then tilt the picture at an angle, turn it, etc. You can also have it highlight various things like hotels, businesses etc which are clickable in any view.

I've been playing with it by zooming into various airports, tilting the pic like I'm on final and I am amazed at the clarity of the pics. You can clearly see the numbers, runway marking etc. Pretty cool for taking a look at a new airport you've never been to before and getting an idea what it looks like.

Warning! It's for broadband connections though...

http://earth.google.com/

(I know, I'm bored tonight.. what can I say) :D

Last edited:
Seriously cool. I've lately been playing around with Google Maps; found my house with the satellite view. I only get freaked out when looking at water; from the air in an airplane or a satellite image still gives me a fright.

Google is really coming up with great products and services; things that make me go, "Well, it's about time...". They're like the next Disney, but... actually useful. How many here use Gmail? I adore it. Blows every other service out of the water.

If you can't tell, I {heart} Google.

Skysailor said:
Google is really coming up with great products and services; things that make me go, "Well, it's about time...". They're like the next Disney, but... actually useful. How many here use Gmail? I adore it. Blows every other service out of the water.

If you can't tell, I {heart} Google.

I use Gmail. It's great. It saved my rear-end the other day after a hard drive crash. Using the archived mail, I was able to retrieve a software reg number that I did not have backed up anywhere. Most definitely beats any other email service around.

HEY!

Who FLATTENED my house!?!!

(That's seriously cool, thanks for sharing!)

Greebo said:
HEY!

Who FLATTENED my house!?!!

(That's seriously cool, thanks for sharing!)
Hey Chuck -- mine ain't even there -- just uncleared woods!

It actually seems that this version of the s/w is better than what I had tried a couple of months back on Keyhole.

RotaryWingBob said:
Hey Chuck -- mine ain't even there -- just uncleared woods!

It actually seems that this version of the s/w is better than what I had tried a couple of months back on Keyhole.

I can see my dock, boat lifts and the raft in the lake, but my house appears to be made of trees. I suspect that there's some "image enhancement" going on there as the house is surrounded by trees within 30 ft everywhere, but you can see it clearly from an airplane.

dang it - is this like a snipe hunt? Now I get "Google Earth downloads temporarily delayed"

Those Bastards at Google said:
Google Earth downloads temporarily delayed

Thanks for your interest in Google Earth, but we're sorry we can't offer you a download right now. As you know, Google Earth is in beta, and we're still building out our ability to take on new users. We're making good progress, and expect to be able to accept new downloads shortly, so we recommend you check back daily at earth.google.com. We hope to be able to welcome you and other new planet surfers soon.

We appreciate your patience,

The Google Earth Team

I guess I'll never know *sniff*

Aw, man! OK, who has the download they can send to those of us who were working and didn't jump on it fast enough??

BillG said:
Aw, man! OK, who has the download they can send to those of us who were working and didn't jump on it fast enough??

I've still got it, but it's a 10 meg file... if you're email can handle that file size, I'll be happy to email it to who ever wants it. Just PM me an email address.

Actually it looks like the beta is opened up again - woohoo! :)

This is really a Kewl program. I can't wait to see how it improves. It's awsome as it is.

It sure is nice to look at Meigs without all the Xs in the runway too. That picture must be a few years old.

Jeannie

Last edited:
Back