Google Earth your airport

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
So a while ago on the defunct forum "which shall remain nameless" we had a thread which I found both fascinating and fun. I'd like to see everyone's home airport via Google Earth (or Microsoft Terraserver if you are a clone :D )

Here's mine, along with a fly-to placemark to take you there if you have GE installed, click on the .kmz file attached. Unfortunately photo quality in my part of Alaska leaves something to be desired, but you get the idea. Mt. McKinley is in the distance at the top.

ICAO-PAIN.jpg

If you don't have GE you should, it's free! http://earth.google.com/

Attachments

• PAIN - McKinley NP Airport.kmz
    640 bytes · Views: 6
Last edited:
Here's my home airport. KPHN, St. Clair County Interntional Airport, Michigan. The view is from 8,000 ft. in line with runway 04. The water in the back ground is the southern most end of Lake Huron and the river is the St. Clair River. Unfortunately the resolution is not very good in this part of Michigan.

I've noticed that some states, like Indiana, are high resolution over the entire state but most are only high res in urban areas.

How do you manage to insert the whole picture in a post rather than just a thumbnail?

Attachments

• KPHN.jpg
    KPHN.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 31
  • St Clair County Intl Airport.kmz
    687 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited:
How do you change it to be at an angle like that?

edit: nevermind

Here's mine:

Attachments

• airport.JPG
    airport.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 38
Actually, this is cooler, Runway 3 at KABQ:

Attachments

• airport.JPG
    airport.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 35
Maverick said:
Here's my home airport. KPHN, St. Clair County Interntional Airport, Michigan. The view is from 8,000 ft. in line with runway 04. The water in the back ground is the southern most end of Lake Huron and the river is the St. Clair River. Unfortunately the resolution is not very good in this part of Michigan.

I've noticed that some states, like Indiana, are high resolution over the entire state but most are only high res in urban areas.

How do you manage to insert the whole picture in a post rather than just a thumbnail?

Nice!

To insert a picture it has to be on a webserver, I put in on my personal web space that comes free with my internet service from my ISP. If you don't have that, then here is just one list of free web space providers.

(Or, you can go to your Frappr page in the POA member map, upload the photo there, then once you've done that, you can right click the open image in Frappr, get the url, and then use the url as I describe below.)

Then you link to the image like this (I had to change it a little to keep the forum software from thinking it is an actual photo - you would add the bracket to the front of the first IMG tag):

IMG]http://www.the_domain_name.com/the_folder_its_in/image.jpg[/IMG]

and it will appear in your post as a photo. Or you can use the little image button in the post menu to do the same thing. It sounds complicated but it actually doesn't take long to upload and link, if you have a good FTP program.

Last edited:
Home airport Caldwell, NJ KCDW out in Essex county. Airport is about 20 nm west of NYC. KCDW was the launching point for the ill-fated flight of JFK jr.
Google Earth's terrain doesn't show it too well, but there is a big hill on the left side of the pic, or on the approach end of 27. Its weird to be landing and be almost at eye level of houses.

Attachments

• kcdw.jpg
    kcdw.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 27
Also, if you want to post a placemark so others can fly to your airport and see it the way you want them to...before you save it as a .kmz file...

Add the placemark ("add" on the menu bar or button at right bottom)...

Using left mouse button drag it on top of the airport...

In the "new placemark window", rename the placemark whatever you want...

Also in the "new placemark" window, click on the icon next to the placemark name, and you can change it to whatever you want...

check the "advanced" box...

On the "view tab" you can click on "snapshot current view" which means that whoever follows that placemark later will see it the same way you did - maybe you want them to see it tilted down and aligned with the runway like you are landing. Also you can do the same thing later by getting the view set up the way you like it, and then right clicking on the placemark and selecting "snapshot current view."

When you are ready to share it, right click it and select "save as", then save it on your computer.

Then come to POA, start a post, and attach the KMZ file. Others can then click on it and be "flown" right to your airport, to the view you selected for them.

Here's a sample below, fly right down the runway to one of my former favorite airstrips at Lake Powell, UT.

OK, I'll shut up now, I can be pretty nerdy on a Sunday afternoon. Make sure you have the "terrain" check box checked in the layers window, so you can see 3d terrain. There is so much more you can do, even levitate the placemark above the ground...but you get the picture. :D

Attachments

• bullfrog.kmz
    613 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited:
The photo resolution on Google Earth is too low to make out any detail for my home base.

Here is a b&w from Windows Local Live imaging...

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=aN.31.906270_-90.371475_M11%20Copiah%20County_
M11 Copiah County

The plane on the ramp is one of the aerial applicators that work out of the airport from time to time.

I just donated a new windsock so the bubbas don't have any excuse anymore for which runway they pick.

I *think* that this will be my new home airport..Eventually...We'll see..

KMIC
crystal.jpg

jangell said:
I *think* that this will be my new home airport..Eventually...We'll see..

Jesse,

I'll get my multi rating there, if they ever put their Seneca back on the line. :dunno:

LakeHavasu.jpg

Lake Havasu City, Arizona as seen from the north looking towards the city.

My home drome is CHA (last photo), the others are Skyranch in Knoxville, where I did my tailwheel. Cool little airport.

Attachments

• tn982.jpg
    tn982.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 12
  • tn98.jpg
    tn98.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 12
  • skyranch.jpg
    skyranch.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 11
  • cha.jpg
    cha.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 12
RotaryWingBob said:
Here's N99 (this is a sharper image than the Google one).

Oh, there's QVC! :)

flyingcheesehead said:
Jesse,

I'll get my multi rating there, if they ever put their Seneca back on the line. :dunno:

I think they have a Dutchess for cheap ($150ish)

alaskaflyer said:
OK, I'll shut up now, I can be pretty nerdy on a Sunday afternoon.
You're explanation was excellent because I was even able to figure out how to do this (I hope) and I'm the opposite of a computer geek.

Attachments

• KAPA.jpg
    KAPA.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 14
  • Centennial Airport.kmz
    455 bytes · Views: 2
The info in Google earth is opd for my airport. There are a lot more hangers, the runway was repaved, extended, and a new taxiway added. But you can see where the land has been cleared for the new hangers and taxiway. Here is a shot anyways. Kinda flat looking after all those airport pics where there are mountains. Oh well 10C is in corn country.

Attachments

• 10c.jpg
    10c.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 13
Well, here's my attempt.

Two files -

first, my airport

second, just in case you need to get hold of Garmin, here's where to find them.

Attachments

• KOJC.kmz
    451 bytes · Views: 3
  • Garmin.kmz
    437 bytes · Views: 3
alaskaflyer said:
Here's mine, along with a fly-to placemark to take you there if you have GE installed, click on the .kmz file attached. Unfortunately photo quality in my part of Alaska leaves something to be desired, but you get the idea.
I thought that looked familiar! Here's a photo from the lodge across the river, taken in August 2003. Spectacular!

Also attached are a couple of Google earth angles of my home field, KVUO Pearson Field, Vancouver, WA. As you zoom in on the view from the south you can see Mt. St. Helens off in the distance, though it disappears as you "descend". There's an Alaska Airlines 737 climbing out over the Columbia River from nearby KPDX, and its shadow can be seen on the water beyond.

The view from the northwest shows Pearson's proximity to the Vancouver National Historic Reserve and the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site (the dark outline just north of the runway). This angle does not show Mt. Hood, which dominates the view in real life (see photo).

-- Pilawt

Attachments

• Pearson Field (from south).kmz
    597 bytes · Views: 4
  • KVUO - Pearson Field 2.kmz
    520 bytes · Views: 1
  • Dsc00890.jpg
    Dsc00890.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Dsc04732e.jpg
    Dsc04732e.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 10
Pilawt said:
I thought that looked familiar! Here's a photo from the lodge across the river, taken in August 2003. Spectacular!

-- Pilawt

Wow, that photo looks green! Makes me wish for summer! (it looks quite different right now)

Back