Google: as bad as Microsoft.

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
I'm becoming more convinced that Google is evil.

I have Google Earth installed on a couple of machines. I don't use it very often. Went to use it last night, and it insisted that I download the latest version (which, inconveniently enough, had pre-checked the Google Toolbar and something else. After unselecting those, it STILL downloaded and ACTIVATED a BHO for Google Download Manager. Unable to deselect the BHO, but had to search and find other options to turn off.

On top of that, the new version of Google earth is very unsatisfactory in operation. Zoom in on a location, and it sets up on a tilt. Can't seem (by default, anyway) to merely zoom in or rotate from a straight-down view.

Google bites.

They've gotten a little political in what they allow to be searched for as well. I love how it works but the access should be pretty much open to anything possible with exception to obviously illegal images.

I have Google Earth installed on a couple of machines. I don't use it very often. Went to use it last night, and it insisted that I download the latest version (which, inconveniently enough, had pre-checked the Google Toolbar and something else. After unselecting those, it STILL downloaded and ACTIVATED a BHO for Google Download Manager. Unable to deselect the BHO, but had to search and find other options to turn off.

On top of that, the new version of Google earth is very unsatisfactory in operation. Zoom in on a location, and it sets up on a tilt. Can't seem (by default, anyway) to merely zoom in or rotate from a straight-down view.

Google bites.
Odd. I had the same experience today, except that it was WinZip that I downloaded. I deselected everything offered, but Google Download Manager installed itself anyway. I uninstalled it. Haven't searched to see what else came along for the ride.

I am already there
They mentioned on Cranky Geeks that Google now has more data on more citizens of the planet than any government agency.

That said, I'm off to populate the health care data thing and I'm switching more email from Yahoo to Google mainly because I'm sick of paying $20 a year to Yahoo just for POP access. :dunno:

"Don't be evil." Mostly.

"Don't be evil." Mostly.

It's relative. I'm sure Hitler didn't think he was evil, either. :D

I've taken to checking for "ride alongs" with every software installation. I do a before/after in various places on my computers. Or read the EULA (yeah, I actually read them) and you'll find all kinds of all encompassing, we will own you if you install this software, kinda things.

It's relative. I'm sure Hitler didn't think he was evil, either. :D

I've taken to checking for "ride alongs" with every software installation. I do a before/after in various places on my computers. Or read the EULA (yeah, I actually read them) and you'll find all kinds of all encompassing, we will own you if you install this software, kinda things.
Just recently our legal department has sent a mandate -- Don't ever click the "I Agree" button or checkbox again uless the software is listed on their OK list. They haven't provided the OK list yet.

Just recently our legal department has sent a mandate -- Don't ever click the "I Agree" button or checkbox again uless the software is listed on their OK list. They haven't provided the OK list yet.
Hmmm, wanna bet their OK list comes with an "I agree" button or checkbox? :D

The Google Updater runs as a service. It is permanently disabled easily enough through msconfig or through the services heading under Computer Management.

The Google Updater runs as a service. It is permanently disabled easily enough through msconfig or through the services heading under Computer Management.

The point is that it is installed without knowledge or permission. Just like those websites that used to hijack your home page setting.

*I* shouldn't *have to* disable software that I didn't ask for in the first place.

Well, if you installed Google Earth recently, the first thing you download and install is Google Updater. It then downloads and installs Google Earth. I agree, it is annoying as hell to have another piece of software running on your system all the time. Adobe is just as bad with their auto-updating software as well. If I want to install an update, I'll just download it and install it myself, thank you very much. No need to gobble up more of my RAM with junk like that.

I have so much shutoff in msconfig- it amazing how much CRA_ there is in there, spying on me, eating up clock cycles, etc....

Gee, you all missed the software installation/upgrade that ends by saying "Your machine needs to be restarted" and only gives you that one option. All software companies presume they are the only application running on your PC (ever).
They have always done this. They have always been evil. They will continue this way.... forever.

Back