Google-analytics

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Lately (for the past couple of days), the pages for New Posts have never completely loaded, instead saying that it was "looking up www.google-analytics.com". This is on FireFox 3.0.1. Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't seen this...though I have seen it on other sites before and would notice if it was happening to me.

The answer lies here:
http://www.customizegoogle.com/block-google-analytics-cookies.html

It is google's attempt at a spying/tracking cookie. Yep, google is not the angelic company many people think they are.

Its stuff like this that will lead to the demise of Google, just like Genuine Advantage will for Microsoft.

While I don't agree with everything that google does, Google Analytics is not a spying tool. It is a free service offered by google to track statistics for websites and must be installed per site. It's not something that they just do because they're google and they can.

While I don't agree with everything that google does, Google Analytics is not a spying tool. It is a free service offered by google to track statistics for websites and must be installed per site. It's not something that they just do because they're google and they can.

I agree, as long as the site is not receiving money for the statitstics...

Yeah, I'm familiar with Google-analytics (which I hesitate to call "GA" so will call G-A :)) because we use it at work. It's just weird that PoA keeps on trying to load from G-A, with the page never completely loading. Of course, now it seems to no longer do that. :dunno:

Get the No-Script plug-in for Firefox. This will allow you to eliminate all the different java scripts that websites force on you. You can select only the ones you want and need to see a page. It also provides protection from click-hijackings.

I've been blocking it with NoScript. I guess I'm not being counted.

How do we know that Google isn't tracking across sites other than "do no evil" ..."until we have to?" :skeptical:

Last edited:
I've been blocking it with NoScript. I guess I'm not being counted.

How do we know that Google isn't tracking across site other than "do no evil" ..."until we have to?" :skeptical:
"Google Affiliate Network connects advertisers and publishers who want to increase sales and drive leads through affiliate marketing."

Something new for Goog - since early in 2008, when they bought what is (arguably) the third largest affiliate marketing network. Just food for thought. :)

The answer lies here:
http://www.customizegoogle.com/block-google-analytics-cookies.html

It is google's attempt at a spying/tracking cookie. Yep, google is not the angelic company many people think they are.

Its stuff like this that will lead to the demise of Google, just like Genuine Advantage will for Microsoft.
Uhh--it is Google's attempt at nothing. It is my attempt at utilizing Google's free service for building detailed web statistics on PoA.

Skyhog said:
I agree, as long as the site is not receiving money for the statitstics...
uhm--I can assure you--that I'm not receiving money from the statistics. I wish I were.

gprellwitz said:
Yeah, I'm familiar with Google-analytics (which I hesitate to call "GA" so will call G-A :)) because we use it at work. It's just weird that PoA keeps on trying to load from G-A, with the page never completely loading. Of course, now it seems to no longer do that. :dunno:
I've never had it happen...

Back