Goodbye, Little Buddy (NA)

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
Bob Denver died Friday at age 70. He's off to join Alan Hale on the island in the sky.

What's even scarier is that I just discovered that MaryAnn is older than my mother-in-law!

MSmith said:
What's even scarier is that I just discovered that MaryAnn is older than my mother-in-law!

There's a reality check! Like most every other boy I had a crush on Mary Ann. But everyone else her age would've been considered by me and everyone else in boy-dom to be ancient and old.

:( :(

Total bummer.

Gilligans Island was on every day after school about the time I would get home.
Bell rings, run home, Gilligans Island, homework, play. In that order.

RIP Gilligan.

Richard said:
There's a reality check! Like most every other boy I had a crush on Mary Ann. But everyone else her age would've been considered by me and everyone else in boy-dom to be ancient and old.

Wasn't there a beer commercial a few years ago where some guys were playing pool and talking about whether they were MaryAnn or Ginger kind of guys? I think it was a Millar ad.

The mate was a mighty sailin man,
The skipper brave and sure.

Frank Browne said:
Wasn't there a beer commercial a few years ago where some guys were playing pool and talking about whether they were MaryAnn or Ginger kind of guys? I think it was a Millar ad.

The mate was a mighty sailin man,
The skipper brave and sure.

Here's something I've never been able to definately answer:

Mary Ann or Ginger
Jeannie or Samantha
Wilma or Betty

My favorite beer commercial featured a motor bike coming around a corner on a high mtn road and Mt Rainier appears in the background as the camera pans away from the bike:

Raaaaaaaaaiinnn ieeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr BEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr as the bike shifts into higher gears.

Last edited:
Richard said:

Mary Ann or Ginger
Jeannie or Samantha
Wilma or Betty

Mary Ann, for sure.
Toss up. Jeannie was hot, hot, tho.
Betty was cuter than Wilma. IMO:)

A few years ago my wife and I went in with my parents on a beach condo south of Sarasota Florida. The name of the little 8-unit building: Castaway Cove. Having grown up watching Gilligan's Island, my mom & dad became Thurston and Lovey. My oldest son is the professor. My youngest son is Gilligan, my daughter is Ginger and my wife Mary Ann. Guess that makes me the Skipper. We just got a new boat and are trying to decide on a name for it. "The Minnow" is a contender, although a dark horse up to this point. Perhaps sentiment will kick in.

Just sit right back an you'l hear a tale,

Richard said:
Audrey or Alice?
You mean Trixie or Alice. Alice.

When Audrey Meadows auditioned for the role of Alice, Jackie Gleason thought she was too pretty to be Alice. She showed up at a new audition in old clothes all dowdied up like Alice and got the job.

Richard said:

Mary Ann or Ginger
Jeannie or Samantha
Wilma or Betty

Both?
Samantha!
I would have said Betty, but Rosie O'Donnel played her in the movie and ruined that one for me FOREVER! :hairraise:
Eric
________
Uggs

Last edited:
mikea said:
You mean Trixie or Alice. Alice.

When Audrey Meadows auditioned for the role of Alice, Jackie Gleason thought she was too pretty to be Alice. She showed up at a new audition in old clothes all dowdied up like Alice and got the job.

Affirm

fgcason said:
:( :(

Total bummer.

Gilligans Island was on every day after school about the time I would get home.
Bell rings, run home, Gilligans Island, homework, play. In that order.

RIP Gilligan.

Remember Dobie Gillis? Personally, I liked him best as Maynard G. Krebs.

How about Joyce Dewitt, or Susanne Summers . Definately Joyce for me . Dave G.

lancefisher said:
Remember Dobie Gillis? Personally, I liked him best as Maynard G. Krebs.

I remember that one too but it wasn't on as much. I think you have me beat by about a decade (1970's) but it was still running then too, just not as consistently.

Curiously I see these shows again nowadays occasionally and they're in black and white, not color, and it surprises me. I know they were B/W when I saw them before however my brain programmed colors into the shows at some point. It's really odd when a series changes to color in the later seasons and you remember the B/W shows specifically in the right colors. :goofy: I guess we had to have a better imagination back then than the digital kids have now.

bubba said:
Both?
Samantha!
I would have said Betty, but Rosie O'Donnel played her in the movie and ruined that one for me FOREVER! :hairraise:
Eric

Samantha!! I once visited North Haven Island, Maine via the outboard powerboat skippered by Andrew and Nicky Wyeth, originating from our Cushing neighborhood.. The home we visited was that of George Montgomery -- EDITED CORRECTION: make that Robert Montgomery(he was in his later years Pres. Eisenhower's television advisor). His daughter, Elizabeth, was also visiting her Dad; and I'm tellin' ya, she was as beautiful in person as she was on television. And the family was right down-to-earth.

HR

Last edited:
Richard said:

Mary Ann or Ginger
Jeannie or Samantha
Wilma or Betty

Mary Ann
Jeannie
and Wilma

MSmith said:
The ship set ground on the shore of this ...
I saw a documentary on Trio with Sheldon Schwartz, the creator of "Gilligan's Island." When he went to the network to sell the show he sang the song. It told the entire premise in a minute.

Back