Goodbye 727DS

how old is your old altimeter and why did you remove it?

how old is your old altimeter and why did you remove it?

It was from the last plane, and it didn't pass the 91.411 test. It was outside the parameters for keeping the plane IFR certified. I think it was off like 150' when set to pressure vs field elevation.

Well, I think it's between Scott and us then, right? Or am I forgetting someone?:dunno:

Scott was in 2nd. I think I've been there six times now.
I am not sure how many times I have been there. I know I have made it at least once a year since opening. The year, last one, I missed labor day but I had visited earlier in the year in July. Grant and Leslie were there then too.

It was from the last plane, and it didn't pass the 91.411 test. It was outside the parameters for keeping the plane IFR certified. I think it was off like 150' when set to pressure vs field elevation.

If my heading indicator is off (when I don't constantly reset it) by 10 - 30 degrees within each flight, makes me wonder how accurate my altimeter is. Yikes. My (rental) plane is not IFR certified either.

If my heading indicator is off (when I don't constantly reset it) by 10 - 30 degrees within each flight, makes me wonder how accurate my altimeter is. Yikes. My (rental) plane is not IFR certified either.
The altimeter should read within 75 feet of the airport elevation when it is set.

I am not sure how many times I have been there. I know I have made it at least once a year since opening. The year, last one, I missed labor day but I had visited earlier in the year in July. Grant and Leslie were there then too.

That's right... You were the only person to have been there every year. I missed 2008, but I've been there twice in two other years.

While Ed's Comanche wouldn't win any beauty contests, ugly seems an awfully strong word to use for an airplane that carried me and mine all the way across the long state. As for Ed himself, he spent an evening in the Steinholme and did not wear out his welcome. That ought to count for something.

Just don't let him put you up in the upstairs of his house.

While Ed's Comanche wouldn't win any beauty contests, ugly seems an awfully strong word to use for an airplane that carried me and mine all the way across the long state. As for Ed himself, he spent an evening in the Steinholme and did not wear out his welcome. That ought to count for something.

Just don't let him put you up in the upstairs of his house.

Um, that sounds scary. What is in the upstairs of his house? A forbidden garden? A dungeon? A secret military operation?

Or (gulp) spiders????

Um, that sounds scary. What is in the upstairs of his house? A forbidden garden? A dungeon? A secret military operation?

Or (gulp) spiders????

Actually, nothing. The upstairs of Ed's house remains unfinished. Being single he apparently has little use for an upstairs.

Um, I thought I implied that with the *cough* comment?

(Scroll up)

Just kidding. Ed is not cute. He is stunning.

:yikes: Oh no this can go no where good.

I've seen enough pictures of Ed to know that you all must be crazy to not be turning him in to the men's modeling agencies. I mean . . . look at him . . . tall and THOSE BLUE EYES. Who could resist?

Ok now I might be sick
:vomit:
Um, I was sober. And meant (most) every word.

Now your really starting to scare me

And if there is nothing upstairs, what is downstairs???

Okaaay :hairraise::hairraise::hairraise: I'm pretty sure some law of nature was just broken.

:yikes: Oh no this can go no where good.

Ok now I might be sick
:vomit:

Now your really starting to scare me

Okaaay :hairraise::hairraise::hairraise: I'm pretty sure some law of nature was just broken.

Well tonight is a full moon . . . does that count?

Ok.Ok
It's been many years but I"ll admit it now,---------I dropped him on his head when he was two weeks old---- this is why we call him "Special Ed" Diz trusted me to watch him but-------.
For a long time he had an ed-ache.:idea:( as did we:))

Also now he flies his "Fast Commanche" and sometimes drops off product to our customers in emergencies, we call this service Ed-Ex. Kinda mixed up though as his Ed-Ex plane is the UPS color -BROWN.

Now let's see where everybody takes the thread now:wink2:

Sorry Ed love ya like a son, (just getting back at yah for yelling at me as my flight instructor)

Ooooooooooooooookay, back on track here.

Might have the plane back today.

There is an intermittent modulator issue where occasionally instead of transmitting at 10W, it cranks out 30W of power, and caused garblization if the other com radio is being monitored. Repair cost probably $1k and have to send the unit to Garmin. Tech said it's no big deal to leave it for now, so I'm putting that off.

SL40 went in without any hitches, so I can actually monitor frequencies again

They are adjusting the center stack upwards, to make up for the size difference between the MX and the SL.

Hat rack went away, and the rear seat jacks are now in the rear side panels.

So might be able to grab it this afternoon and have it for the weekend.

Waiting on the new MFD system to drop in, but that's a "portable" unit which will get "installed" by me.

He lives in Michigan.

That shouldn't be a problem. When I was on the road all the time, and I'd see a good-lookin' woman in a car, I'd look at the plates and see what state she was from... There was a noticeable trend that a lot of the good-lookin' women were from Michigan.

Of course, I didn't spend much time in Michigan, so that means that Michigan's good-lookin' women tend to like to LEAVE Michigan. :rofl:

That shouldn't be a problem. When I was on the road all the time, and I'd see a good-lookin' woman in a car, I'd look at the plates and see what state she was from... There was a noticeable trend that a lot of the good-lookin' women were from Michigan.

Of course, I didn't spend much time in Michigan, so that means that Michigan's good-lookin' women tend to like to LEAVE Michigan. :rofl:

Yeah, cause I certainly ain't seeing em when I go out!

Ok.Ok
It's been many years but I"ll admit it now,---------I dropped him on his head when he was two weeks old---- this is why we call him "Special Ed" Diz trusted me to watch him but-------.
For a long time he had an ed-ache.:idea:( as did we:))

Also now he flies his "Fast Commanche" and sometimes drops off product to our customers in emergencies, we call this service Ed-Ex. Kinda mixed up though as his Ed-Ex plane is the UPS color -BROWN.

Now let's see where everybody takes the thread now:wink2:

Sorry Ed love ya like a son, (just getting back at yah for yelling at me as my flight instructor)

This explains a lot. Your "special Ed" - that is very cute! I never even thought of that before, was looking for a nickname for him .... thanks!

There is an intermittent modulator issue where occasionally instead of transmitting at 10W, it cranks out 30W of power, and caused garblization if the other com radio is being monitored. Repair cost probably $1k and have to send the unit to Garmin. Tech said it's no big deal to leave it for now, so I'm putting that off.

Leave it in, but don't transmit with it. 30W is likely a two-fold problem.

Practical - It's likely to toast your RF final transistor, making that a higher dollar repair. Did they test it for spectral purity when it's in that bad mode? Will it stay within it's allotted channelized bandwidth or will you be interfering with all nearby channels?

Legal - 30W is probably outside the Type Acceptance criteria for that specific model radio. Operating a radio transmitter that's known to be operating outside it's Type Acceptance specifications in FCC Part 87, is illegal. The VHF aircraft band does allow for up to 55W but if that radio isn't Type Accepted to operate at that higher power level, it's effectively (legally) in-op right now.

So he's right that it's fine to leave it in the panel as a receiver only. ;)

Otherwise, as a transmitter, it's a brick -- now that you've posted that you know it's operating outside it's specifications in a public forum. ;)

The altimeter should read within 75 feet of the airport elevation when it is set.

I checked it out today when I flew solo and the altimeter read within 40 feet of the airport elevation. The AWOS said it was 29.92 today at O69 before takeoff.

Back