Good XC Destinations Around Denver

Jayhawk

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Fletch
Passed my sport checkride recently and realized after a few trips to Meadow Lake that I want to get some more experience on shorter/narrower strips- most of my trips in training were to Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Any recommendations for cool airports within 150nm of Centennial to check out? Haven't done a mountain flying checkout yet, so I'll be staying east of the mountains while I build the 100 hours my club requires for the checkout. Open to some good destinations for a $100 hamburger too, so far I've done the Spitfire Grill in Pueblo, The Airplane Restaurant in the Springs, and of course, The Perfect Landing at APA about once a week.

Longmont (KLMO). Lots of good fellowship at that airport and a good snack bar, too.

Erie (KEIK). Similar to Longmont but on a smaller scale.

Greeley (KGXY). Don't know if they have crew cars, but the airport is only a few minutes east of town and lots of dining options available in town.

Ft Morgan, grab one of the cars to got into town. Sydney just to visit the original Cabelas. Goodland for the pie. Platte Valley for the WWI museum. LaJunta, take one of cars for the ride i to town and the famers markets. Home of Rocky Ford melons and a great classic diner for lunch.

Longmont (KLMO). Lots of good fellowship at that airport and a good snack bar, too.

Greeley (KGXY). Don't know if they have crew cars, but the airport is only a few minutes east of town and lots of dining options available in town.

Greeley has a restaurant in the terminal too.

Greeley does have courtesy car! Used it when I stayed overnight this summer.

Thanks for the suggestions, have to check them all out. I'd been looking at Platte Valley to get some experience on a 40' wide runway, had no idea they had a WWI museum there. All the more reason to head up there.

Cheyenne is a fun trip up from APA as well. Just make sure you take a close look at the forecast winds there before heading up. They have a restaurant on the field that is an easy walk from the FBO. Raton is a nice trip to the south also. They will cook you a burger at the FBO. It has recently changed hands but the folks that run it are really nice. I guess officially it requires you go over a pass but Raton pass is a very easy pass. You can stop at Trinidad on the other side of the pass. Not a lot there but a good place to grab a touch and go or two.

I am assuming you are with Aspen? If so, try to make the club flyouts. They are great fun. Also if you can swing it, the trip to Oshkosh is great fun in a LSA.

Carl

Fly to Lajunta, Bents Fort is an exact reproduction of the fort in 1840's. It is very impressive site and quite educational. I though Pueblo had small air museum also. Might check it out also. It hadn't opened for the day when my son and I drove by.

Cheyenne is a fun trip up from APA as well. Just make sure you take a close look at the forecast winds there before heading up.

Then print out the forecast, ball it up, throw it in the trash, and expect 30 out of the West. You'll be landing on Runway 27. Ha.

I've been going up to CYS most of my adult life. I about had a heart attack one night when I arrived after the tower closed and the winds were out of the East at 5 knots. I landed 09 for the first time in 20 years just because I could. And then did T&Gs eastbound just because I could. Looked weird. Ha.

Cheyenne is a fun trip up from APA as well. Just make sure you take a close look at the forecast winds there before heading up. They have a restaurant on the field that is an easy walk from the FBO. Raton is a nice trip to the south also. They will cook you a burger at the FBO. It has recently changed hands but the folks that run it are really nice. I guess officially it requires you go over a pass but Raton pass is a very easy pass. You can stop at Trinidad on the other side of the pass. Not a lot there but a good place to grab a touch and go or two.

I am assuming you are with Aspen? If so, try to make the club flyouts. They are great fun. Also if you can swing it, the trip to Oshkosh is great fun in a LSA.

Carl

Yep, flying the Goboshes at Aspen. If I could swing the rental fees to take 77K to Oshkosh I'd be signing up for that in a heartbeat. I'll have to look into Raton, I've heard a bit about their FBO. Good advice on the flyouts too, I've been waiting for one that'll work with my schedule, but looking forward to joining in on those.

Back