Good used SUVs?

When I was in Alaska a guy rolled through Seward in a UNIMOG-based RV. That thing was kewl.

When I was in Alaska a guy rolled through Seward in a UNIMOG-based RV. That thing was kewl.

There's a used Unimog dealer near Denver, CO. My neighbor in CO had one. They are very cool, I mean kewl.

Well actually just got back from Fredericksburg VA about a 3 hr 20 min trip from here that plus some local driving and I was in the 235-245 mile range and only burnt 10 gallons so I think I averaged around 23.3 mpg which is not to bad for a decent sized SUV. And Elizabeth yes I can get a bike in without taking it apart. Looking more like I'm just gonna buy the pilot off lease.

You just have to maintain the reserve fund for the new CV transmission. The good news there is it's supposed to be $4000 per now, not $6000 like it was.
The warranty on the CV in the 09 Rogue I bought my son has been bumped up to 100K miles.

The warranty on the CV in the 09 Rogue I bought my son has been bumped up to 100K miles.

It's 100K miles and 5 (6?) years, which isn't enough. All of my cars are over 6 years old.

There were owners of 2 year old cars that had them die dead in the middle of the road and were facing a $6000 transmission replacement while Nissan said they - and the other several thousand like them - were the only ones who ever had a problem. Since, and only after a couple of years of complaints, Nissan extended the warranty and dropped the price of the tranny.

My personal take is I should never go into a problem I can clearly see. I'd be guaranteed to have tranny failure right away. I had two Saabs that ended up parked because at the time I couldn't afford to replace the tissue paper trannys.

Ignoring the question of whether the CVTs are good or not, I cannot stand the dynamic experience of driving them- it always feels to me like a tranny in which the torque converter is failing. They just feel wrong.

I suspect they are less troublesome to folks who have no idea how cars work.

Ignoring the question of whether the CVTs are good or not, I cannot stand the dynamic experience of driving them- it always feels to me like a tranny in which the torque converter is failing. They just feel wrong.

I used to feel this way about the driving experience, but then I had a Nissan Sentra as a rental car for a week. I started to think of it as a constant-speed prop rather than a transmission with multiple gears (even though the reality is somewhere in between). Its fuel economy was impressive, as was the fact that I could drive around without ever getting much above idle if I wanted, and then when I wanted takeoff power, I stayed at rated RPM for the duration of my right foot being planted to the floor.

However, the transmissions themselves I think are junk and I'd never want to buy one... at least not until they make some significant changes.

I used to feel this way about the driving experience, but then I had a Nissan Sentra as a rental car for a week. I started to think of it as a constant-speed prop rather than a transmission with multiple gears (even though the reality is somewhere in between). Its fuel economy was impressive, as was the fact that I could drive around without ever getting much above idle if I wanted, and then when I wanted takeoff power, I stayed at rated RPM for the duration of my right foot being planted to the floor.

However, the transmissions themselves I think are junk and I'd never want to buy one... at least not until they make some significant changes.

I hear you on all that.

My first car was an Impala (1961) with a 348 and TurboGlide. IT was sorta like Buick's Dynaflow, a CVT itself, but without all that pesky efficiency (grin). If you were taking off, you'd floor it, and the revs would jump to something in the 4500 RPM range, and just... stay there... while the car accelerated. It was odd.

Drive a Prius sometime. Or pretty much any other hybrid with the Toyota Synergy drive. It is unnerving, even if you do get 45 miles per gallon.

Back