Good trip east coast with kids

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
Thinking of doing some flying with the family this weekend from kentucky. Any ideas on some fun for 8 and 5 yr old girls

possibly W95 Ocracoke Island
a little young for D.C. I think
Maybe Lamberts and St Louis?
We have done Disney a bunch
Tybee Island and Savannah are good but have done that a few times as well

Ocracoke is a wonderful destination, but you will never find housing THIS weekend on such short notice, not with it being Memorial Day.

I was supposed to fly there this weekend, but a friend died in TX so I am going to TX instead. My kids will drive the 8 hours to use our room reservation at Ocracoke (instead of me flying them the 1:40).

Wells

Jekyll Island in Georgia might be a good fit for you. The historical district there is well worth seeing, plus they have these electric 'Red Bug' cars you can rent at the airport for exploring the island that are fun. See the link at the bottom of this post. They also have a water park that the kids would enjoy. The next island north is St. Simons and is a great place to visit too. My wife and I enjoy both of these islands. Both airports are very easy in and outs.

South of Jekyll Island is Cumberland Island. If you fly low down the beach over Cumberland, you can usually see the wild horses that inhabit the island. You can also see the ruins of the Carnegee mansion there.

http://www.redbugmotors.com/

I don't think Jekyll Island has fuel. You would need to get fuel at St. Simons, St. Marys or Brunswick.

Last edited:
Williamsburg, VA or Hilton Head, SC?

Thumbs up- Williamsburg is great for children. I have fond memories of being in Williamsburg as a child in that age range. I can speak from experience, but I understand the GA airport is friendly as well.

Thumbs up- Williamsburg is great for children. I have fond memories of being in Williamsburg as a child in that age range. I can speak from experience, but I understand the GA airport is friendly as well.

KJGG - Nice airport for williamsburg. Car rentals available and a great little restaurant in the terminal.

Williamsburg is a great idea. You could also stick in a stop at Lauray Caverns in VA. If you just looking for some beach action and you can find a place this late. Either Ocean City NJ 26N or Ocean City MD KOXB are good destinations. So is Cape May NJ KWWD for that matter.

Jekyll Island in Georgia might be a good fit for you. The historical district there is well worth seeing, plus they have these electric 'Red Bug' cars you can rent at the airport for exploring the island that are fun. See the link at the bottom of this post. They also have a water park that the kids would enjoy. The next island north is St. Simons and is a great place to visit too. My wife and I enjoy both of these islands. Both airports are very easy in and outs.

South of Jekyll Island is Cumberland Island. If you fly low down the beach over Cumberland, you can usually see the wild horses that inhabit the island. You can also see the ruins of the Carnegee mansion there.

http://www.redbugmotors.com/

I don't think Jekyll Island has fuel. You would need to get fuel at St. Simons, St. Marys or Brunswick.

x2 on Jekyll. Pretty low-key area (at least when we have been there). There is lot of 'public' beach access there if you're not staying on the island.

The water park looks fairly new, too. I'm sure we'll be checking it out once our kiddo gets big enough to enjoy it.

leaning towards savannah or williamsburg
williamsburg looks great for boys but will little girls enjoy it? (pirate ships etc.)
probably do jekyll later this summer

I was asked by another POA member about outer banks destinations so i'll copy here some info about ocracoke

Some links
http://ocracokeairport.com/ Note that the runway is unlit and night ops prohibited 30 min after sunset. Code to the pilot's lounge is 1200. They have a computer and wifi. Nearby billy mitchell airport (KHSE) has AWOS.

I recommend eating at howard's pub. Give them a phone call, they'll give you a free ride to/from the airport.

Once you get there, you can either rent bikes or do a golf cart to get around. The island is small, but has several hotels, bars, restaurants.

http://www.ocracokevillage.com This site will have some info on lodging. You might call some of the vacation rentals to see if they have a cottage or condo available for the weekend. Usually booked but worth a call.

The golf cart guy will pickup/deliver your golf cart to/from the airport, and probably anywhere you are staying. I think its $15/hr or $50/day, can't remember. His link is on the airnav page for W95

Fishing should be pretty good this time of year. You can fish off the beach by the airport if you have the right gear (a big surf rod). I think there are companies that will take you surf fishing, a guide picks you up in a truck and will drive you a couple of miles down the beach to the inlet and set you up with equipment/bait/tackle. Also inshore fishing is a 3-4 hr experience and generally not too expensive, you'll fish in the sound and channels which are usually calm water.

http://www.fishtradewinds.com/ I haven't done any chartering recently, but I was at this tackle shop on the island a couple weeks ago. If you are interested in fishing at all, give them a call and ask for some info. They can sell you tackle, give you advice, or recommend a charter boat.

If you just want a boat ride around to knock back a few beers and take in the scenery, the charter guys will do that too for a reduced price.

Other NC destinations I can recommend are Beaufort or Wilmington.

Last edited:
leaning towards savannah or williamsburg
williamsburg looks great for boys but will little girls enjoy it? (pirate ships etc.)
probably do jekyll later this summer

Sure, History is not gender specific. They have lots of info regarding how people lived in colonial times Women and kids included. They have kids activities, puppet theatre etc. Neary by is Busch Gardens Amusement park and the associated Water park.

If you go to Williamsburg stay at the Great Wolf Lodge. When they get older go to Cedar Point or Hawk's Cay...at this age Branson is fun.

Last edited:
Williamsburg JGG has the most expensive fuel in the area. Just fyi.
Jamestown is interesting, and Busch Gardens is fun.

Sure, History is not gender specific. They have lots of info regarding how people lived in colonial times Women and kids included. They have kids activities, puppet theatre etc. Neary by is Busch Gardens Amusement park and the associated Water park.

Williamsburg JGG has the most expensive fuel in the area. Just fyi.
Jamestown is interesting, and Busch Gardens is fun.

I'll second the Busch Gardens is Fun sentiment. The water park associated with it (Water Country USA) is not in the same park and is not connected (it's a short drive away), so if you're going to be there for only a day, it's probably best to choose one. Both are fantastic, though, so if you're water folks, go for WC USA, and otherwise, go for Busch Gardens.

Perhaps one of the parks and historic Williamsburg?

Back