Good stop around Mobile, Al?

jhflyboy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Heading from Houston to Orlando in a couple of weeks. Looking for a point about halfway for fuel and food. Usually stop at Crestview, which is very convenient, but have a little more time on this trip and would like to stop for a good lunch. Amy recommendations? I'm open to an airport with a good restaurant, or one that we can grab a car and have a quick bite close to the airport. Crestview really doesn't fit either of those.

Maybe ocean springs? Very close to Biloxi which had no shortage of great places to eat, drink, ....

Maybe ocean springs? Very close to Biloxi which had no shortage of great places to eat, drink, ....
That's an option. I usually like to get a little further on my first leg. I've stopped at Jack Edwards a few times and did the walk to Lulu's. Not a bad option either.

Can you land at NAS Pensacola and eat at the museum? The museum is open to the public, but I don't know if you can get approval to land there.

If I need a fuel stop when I fly from San Antonio to Fort Lauderdale, I land at KJKA - Jack Edwards Airport. It's a nice FBO, Fuel prices are reasonable and there is a cool little building that serves as a pilot lounge, complete with lounge chairs, TV and snacks.

In addition, you can get a crew car and go eat at one of the many restaurants on the beach, like The Hangout. There was also another restaurant that would send a car to pick you up and drop you off after you eat.

One of the mrore memorable stops my family and I have had was at the Hangout waiting for some thunderstorms to clear.

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Agreed, KJKA and lulu's. Cant beat it but if you you've done that before go a little more to Dauphine Island and grab lunch on the beach. Fun airport to land at as well. Well scratch that no fuel at Dauphine island, still a fun airport to visit. haha

Agreed, KJKA and lulu's. Cant beat it but if you you've done that before go a little more to Dauphine Island and grab lunch on the beach. Fun airport to land at as well. Well scratch that no fuel at Dauphine island, still a fun airport to visit. haha

Love Lulu's! If you continue eastbound from JKA can you get IFR clearance along the shoreline or do you need to route north of the Elgin airspace?

So... what makes this place any different than any other FBO with some barely-legal lookers behind the counter? Y'all are making it sound special lol

Monroeville AL (think it's KMVC). Heard there's a catfish restaurant within walking distance of airport. Good eatin' they say. Just N-NE of MOB, maybe 30-40 miles.

Destin, although the fuel isn't the cheapest around, you are real close to some great seafood. Harbor Docks, Dewey Destin's, if you can find the Big Red Truck, Casey has awesome fish tacos!

So... what makes this place any different than any other FBO with some barely-legal lookers behind the counter? Y'all are making it sound special lol

Babe Minette is different because there are NO line guys. At least not that I've ever seen. These girls marshall you in, fuel your plane and even bake cookies. It's been a few years since I've been through there. There were always a bunch of military on the ramp there (AT6 Texan II's and some helicopters). They even have an annual calendar. I always thought it was an interesting business model. Sort of a Hooters FBO. Wait, now there's an idea...

Think they used to do that at CEW too. Army had a contract refueling deal there and other airports around Ft Rucker. Gotta keep the aviators happy!

Think they used to do that at CEW too. Army had a contract refueling deal there and other airports around Ft Rucker. Gotta keep the aviators happy!

Florala, Andalusia and Monroeville are all popular stops for Army students. Used to be known not just for BBQ but the FBO girls as well. ;)

Looked like all my favorite food groups! Ribs, red beans and rice, tacos, eggs...yum. :D

This thread should spark some resurgence of traffic to FBO Hotties... I want to see some updates over there! Looks like the site may have been compromised in some manner... some times when I go to it, I get an online pharmacy website now.

Back