Good steak/dinner spot in Philly?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Not really aviation related (although we will be taking the aluminum mailing tube to get there).

My brothers-in-law are taking my father-in-law to the Army/Navy game on Saturday for his 75th birthday. Looking for a decent place to take him for dinner one night. Not looking for super showy "coat and tie" place, as he gets put-off by excessive showy stuff, but looking for a solid steak house type place that is not a typical 'every night of the week' kind of place that we can get a good steak and a bourbon for the evening. We're staying in Center City area, if that matters.

Last edited:
Not really aviation related (although we will be taking the aluminum mailing tube to get there).

My brothers-in-law are taking my father-in-law to the Army/Navy game on Saturday for his 75th birthday. Looking for a decent place to take him for dinner one night. Not looking for super showy "coat and tie" place, as he gets put-off by excessive showy stuff, but looking for a solid steak house type place that is not a typical 'every night of the week' kind of place that we can get a good steak and a bourbon for the evening. We're staying in Center City area, if that matters.

Del Frisoco's - does have a dress code - business casual should work.

If not there, then the Oyster House on Samson, and right around the corner is Ocean Prime - with a menu for all - reservations recommended.

Ruth's Chris - if it's still there; we'd do our "success" dinner there after a DR test.

One of the newer hotel/office buildings has a nice restaurant way up high. Great view. Not a dress up place. I think it's the Four Seasons.

Del Frisoco's - does have a dress code - business casual should work.

If not there, then the Oyster House on Samson, and right around the corner is Ocean Prime - with a menu for all - reservations recommended.

I second Del Friscos. Been there a few times. That’s a place you want to go to for a memorable place with your father-in-law. Once is enough with your own wallet, I went there a few times for business.

We ended up with reservations at Del Frisco's. Several suggestions for the place in addition to here, so it must be OK.

We ended up with reservations at Del Frisco's. Several suggestions for the place in addition to here, so it must be OK.
It's a Landry's chain steakhouse. A good one, but not a unique place.

I was thinking of sending ya to Dante and Luigi's in South Philadelphia... one of the main places for the Philly Mob Godfathers to hang out - great food too! Took my wife there when we visited once, she keep saying she was expecting Michael Corleon to come out at any minute with guns blazing.

Pat’s king of steaks. Has the best ribeye…

What about cheesesteaks? Is that actually a thing in Philadelphia? Or is cliche like everyone in California owns a surfboard?

What about cheesesteaks? Is that actually a thing in Philadelphia? Or is cliche like everyone in California owns a surfboard?

Trust me brah, der da most gnarly gastronomic treat from the city of brotherly love, only thing gnarlier are hot babes and Pat's on South Street... Killer waves and tasty cheesesteaks is all I need brah!

Last edited:
Pat’s king of steaks. Quintessential cheesesteak. Sliced ribeye. Line moves fast. It is in the depths of Philly. But easy to get to.

(following closely, will be there for a week on business in mid-January)

If cheesesteak not your thing
Tony Lucs on Oregon Ave for chicken park with broccoli rabe.
While In the area get a elephant ear at Termini brothers in south 8th street

If cheesesteak not your thing
Tony Lucs on Oregon Ave for chicken park with broccoli rabe.
While In the area get a elephant ear at Termini brothers in south 8th street

And Levis's Hot Dogs... if they're still open.

Tell me you’re not from Philadelphia without telling me you’re not from Philadelphia.
Since I'm not actually from Philly, I wasn't going to say anything. But none of my native Philadelphian relatives consider Pat's more than a tourist novelty. I can't claim to have tried even a significant fraction of the great places in Philly, but I'm a fan of Sonny's, Dalessandro's, and a couple other places I can never remember the names of.

Since I'm not actually from Philly, I wasn't going to say anything. But none of my native Philadelphian relatives consider Pat's more than a tourist novelty. I can't claim to have tried even a significant fraction of the great places in Philly, but I'm a fan of Sonny's, Dalessandro's, and a couple other places I can never remember the names of.
I’d say Max’s is first with Delassandro’s second

Edit: was just texting with a buddy still living in Philly. Says Delassandro’s changed hands and now the steaks are ass. Take it off the list.

Angelo’s and Sonny’s come in close.

Pat’s (and Geno’s across the street) are to cheesesteaks what Taco Bell is to Mexican food.

Last edited:
I’d say Max’s is first with Delassandro’s second. Angelo’s and Sonny’s come in close.

Pat’s (and Geno’s across the street) are to cheesesteaks what Taco Bell is to Mexican food.
Good analogy. The only times I've been taken there have been late at night after the bars. And I know people have their favorite among the two of them, but it's always been the shorter line for me.

Edit: was just texting with a buddy still living in Philly. Says Delassandro’s changed hands and now the steaks are ***. Take it off the list.

Noooo! Say it ain't so!!

JIm's on South St. was always good too, but they're closed indefinitely after a big fire.

Looks like I'll need to do some investigating on the next trip to Philly to visit the inlaws.

Last edited:

Edit: was just texting with a buddy still living in Philly. Says Delassandro’s changed hands and now the steaks are ***. Take it off the list.

Maybe. I was in the area tried to go to Dalesando’s today. The wait in line line was over an hour so I went to Fatty’s. My buddy waited and he said it was good.

Back home from a great trip.

Del Frisco's was good, but not stellar. Maybe I'm just hard to impress these days. They lost our order in the kitchen somehow so it took over an hour for our food, but we didn't mind as we were in good conversation. Good Bourbon Old Fashioned, FWIW. Here's the kicker - I specifically looked for a steak place because my father in law always talks about how he likes a good steak. So we get to Del Frisco's and what does he order???? You guessed it. Shrimp alfredo. smdh

I wish I had seen the suggestions for the cheesesteak places earlier. The closest I got to a cheesesteak this time was 'cheesesteak eggrolls' at Del Frisco's. Reading Terminal Market was awesome. Had a darn good pastrami sandwich for lunch, then some sort of breakfast roll-up thing in a pretzel bun and cinnamon rolls with 1" of frosting for breakfast. I really wanted to try those Dutch made pancakes with 1# of butter. The line was too ridiculous, though.

This was my first time to downtown Philly. I have to say - I wouldn't mind going back to see more of the sights. The Christmas market thing at City Hall was really neat - we got a brat from one of the stands there for lunch on Saturday. We heard that the pipe organ at Macy's was impressive, but we were there for the football game, so never made it back for the music/lights show.

Last edited:
Maybe. I was in the area tried to go to Dalesando’s today. The wait in line line was over an hour so I went to Fatty’s. My buddy waited and he said it was good.
Obviously, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Ask 10 guys from Philly what’s the best cheesesteak and you’ll get 12 different answers.

And a fist fight.

What about cream cheese? I know this is a steak thread, but on the other hand it is a Philly thread too. Does it come from Philadelphia? Do you put it on bagels with smoked salmon? Or maybe... just maybe...

Thin cuts of steak from last night's foray in to exclusive restaurants? (If it was a really good steak, you might order one for the road???)

Back