Good starting books to read!

mrjones30

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Freedom is Flying
Hello to all of the great people on this site! I'm pretty much a newbie but I'm dedicated to learn about flying. Does anyone know of a good starter book that can teach the basics, (I don't even know what a checkride is). Instrumentation, Airport protocol, What to check during a pre flight...etc This will be my first airplane book of many.

Thank you!

Well, you can break down your training into the stick and rudder skills of actually handling the aircraft and everything else that you need to know to get your license and fly safely.

Stick and Rudder is a very good book for the former and there are zillions of books for the latter. There are some VERY good books by the FAA that can be downloaded for free.

To learn the lingo, just start reading on this site. There is a wealth of information and wisdom to be learned from some pilots that are not only experienced but also are very well spoken.

Enjoy your training and keep us posted. When you have questions, you can search here and probably find a ton on whatever it might concern. You also can post your question and get tailored coaching.

Good luck!

"Stick and Rudder".

Just remember "Flippers" = Ailerons. :rolleyes:

(Looking on Amazon now) Is it by Wolfgang Langewiesche? the 1944 version or the 1999 version?

(Looking on Amazon now) Is it by Wolfgang Langewiesche? the 1944 version or the 1999 version?

That's the one. It's probably been reprinted so many times that I don't know what the dates are of all of the editions.

Last edited:
Thank you,

I will get the original one. I rather hear it from the source.

I think later versions might have an additional forward from his son, but it's still the same book inside.

It's definitely the place to start - some of the terminology is a little dated, but the 'why' and 'how' will never change.

I expect that it will serve you well. Once you solo, take the next step and start getting the study materials that will enable you to pass the written and the oral portion of the checkride.

I'm using Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook in my training. Excellent book.

I second Rod Machado's book. He has a facebook account as well and actually replies to people!

As doc mentioned you can download the 2 books from the FAA for free. They aren't near as entertaining as Rod is but since they are free it's nice to have them for comparison. The airplane flying handbook and the pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge.

Rod is good about answering questions, years ago when I was a PP student I wrote to his email address on his web site and was surprised when he actually wrote a real letter back. I had expected a form letter.
Bob Gardner is an author who writes on this forum and also answers questions quite clearly. He wrote the complete private pilot which is good.
Lots of choices.... Stick and rudder is a good start.

I second Rod Machado's book. He has a facebook account as well and actually replies to people!

I added him on my Facebook account, I hope he adds me. I saw some of his photos, he seems like a nice guy. Looking forward to reading about him.

That looks like a great book! But I just purchased stick and rudder when I get it and read it we can compare notes?

I've got Stick and Rudder also, but haven't read it yet. I bought a used copy of Machado's book on Amazon for $23. Was enjoying it so much, I bought the iPad app version for $49 so I don't have to lug the book around. The app version is very convenient.

You could join AOPA and take their Air Safety Institue courses. They're free and very informative. You can do it online and at home or office.

They have been very helpful to me as refreshers. Earns "Wings" credit.

Hello to all of the great people on this site! I'm pretty much a newbie but I'm dedicated to learn about flying. Does anyone know of a good starter book that can teach the basics, (I don't even know what a checkride is). Instrumentation, Airport protocol, What to check during a pre flight...etc This will be my first airplane book of many.

Yes, download this 80-page book. It's free, no signup required.
www.FreeFlyBook.com

SPEAKing of Rod's book.....

I have the audio version of his book ready for sale. This lists for $130 on Aircraft Spruce and other e-tailers... Asking $95 and I'll cover shipping to CONUS addresses.

-------------------------------------

If it hasn't already been mentioned, check out The Complete Private Pilot by Bob Gardner (also a member of PoA).

Last edited:
I joined AOPA and have taken most of their "ASI" (Aircraft Safety Institute) courses. They are very good, will test you at the end and upon completion yo get a "Wings" certificate which you can register with the FAA FAAST program. It's free and you can do the courses online, at home or at the office by going to AOPA, whenever you have time available.

I have learned a lot. Great refresher courses for pilots.

Rod accepted my friend request and in one of his posts he mentioned that he is working on a new book. I don't know if I should buy his original book or wait for the new one. I do have enough information to read for a while to keep me busy!

Why don't you ask him if you should wait. I don't recall what the book he is writing is about - I feel like it's all about checkride prep. But Not real sure. :)

Why don't you ask him if you should wait. I don't recall what the book he is writing is about - I feel like it's all about checkride prep. But Not real sure. :)

I did message him on Facebook about the title of the book and when it is going to come out and even if I should wait or not. He hasn't messaged me back yet. Even if he doesn't no hard feelings.

Elevators, not ailerons, but you get it from context pretty easily.

I'm on page 120 or something right now =)

I actually know the terms: Elevator, Fuselage, Ailerons, Flaps, Rudder..etc from my R/C airplane flying days.

Hello,

I finally got the book "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche and I purchased it for the price of coffee. I normally get my books from Half.com. It's a very basic flying book for the beginner like myself. It's a good read so far, thanks for all of the recommendations.

I also got Flight Training by Trevor Thom for really cheap, (I believe $2.95) from the same website. This book is more detailed on flying then the previous one that I am reading, (Over 500 pages). This one also looks good, I'm going to finish these two in a few weeks and I will comment on them when I get a chance. I'm pretty excited to start building some knowledge on flying.

Thanks again for all of the recommendations!

I forgot to mention he responded to my facebook account and the new book he is writing is called "The Maneuvers Manual" it's going to be out by late July.

After reading this thread, I (as a new student pilot) went and got "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.

I've only just started it, but so far I really like the book. It's well written (with an entertaining and conversational tone), and really does a pretty good job (so far anyway) of explaining the things that pilots need to know from a practical standpoint.

Thanks for the recommendation of this book, everyone.

Thank you!

Any of Duane Coles stuff on actual airplane handling to go with a long list of other stuff you have to read if you want to do this well. Figure you need at least 400 hrs of reading to go with 40 hrs of flying and only 100 of that can be applied to studying for your written.

Last edited:

Ahh yes. As my instructor said, he cracks so many silly jokes that by the end you kinda want to wring his neck :). Here's one: why is one side of the V that geese fly in longer than the other?

For the answer, highlight between the braces {Because there are more geese on one side! Ha. Ha. Ha.}. (Or you could squint really hard...curse the almost not quite white background)

Anyway, yes, it's a great book. Also seconding the Stick and Rudder suggestion. I have the latest edition, and it contains his book as well as an afterword (I think?) about aircraft accidents, I believe. I haven't read it all yet, but I can find my copy if anyone's interested in knowing exactly what's there.

While not educational, per se, Fate is the Hunter, by Ernest Gann is probably the best illustration of the Captain mindset that I have read. And not a book, but filled with all things aeronautical - by a guy who can fly anything, Budd Davisson's airbum.com, particularly some of the articles about training, like "what the rudder is really for" is maybe the most succinct explaination of what I've stuggled to teach students for years.

Back