Good source for Cylinders

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
In addition to my personal engine issue thread, I wanted to throw a bone to this place.
Sal's Aircraft Cylinders Inc in Prosper Texas

Shame he doesn't have a website but you can google it and get to some FB pages, his contact info and some reviews.

I went in today and the guy spent 2 hours explaining every detail of what he does, showed me all the cylinders I brought him and what the issues and probable causes are. He really dropped everything he was doing to sit down with me and go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

The man is detail oriented and has been doing just aircraft cylinders for 50 years.
He said he is 70 now and has his family working with him as well.

He is in the middle of nowhere but came highly recommended by 4 people I spoke to.
I learned a lifetime of information about these cylinders from how to take care of them to the paperwork and how they are traced, etc.

He can get you rebuilt, new, whatever you need. It was the least expensive cost as compared to anything else I have seen online.

We left and he says "My job isn't done until you are flying. Call me after you have flown for 24-48 hours and lets discuss anything you want but let's schedule the call"

Seems like a really good guy. Very positive experience.

This is 1 section of wall in his shop. He probably had 2000 cylinders there. Maybe more.
cylinders.jpg

Used cylinders are not a good idea. Keeps
those guys in business though...

All cylinders are used.
I've been using that argument in the auto parts world for 20+ years.

As soon as you install that part you purchased from the OEM dealer, it's used.

Used cylinders are not a good idea. Keeps
those guys in business though...

I just replaced my cylinders with new. The first time my plane's had new cylinders installed in it since it came off the line in 1958. Until last fall the entire engine and all the cylinders were original to the airframe...third run.

And the last run was chrome. 1500 hours without any issues (all by me). I guess my engine decided not to listen to the "chrome is junk" crowd here. :rolleyes:

Besides, a good cylinder man reworks new cylinders, not just used ones. At least my overly anal retentive cylinder man does.

And that makes me happy. :cool:

I don't give much credence to anything Mike Busch says. And haven't since about a dozen years ago when, over on CPA, when he stated that you don't have to worry about getting your oil hot in the winter to boil off water because winter's cold air doesn't carry enough moisture to matter.

Someone had to point out to him that the moisture in the case was a byproduct of combustion.

Savvy what?

Savvy salesman maybe.

Last edited:
I didn't want to start a debate, just recommend a guy that seems to be really cloud at what he does and murder affordable than most.The cylinders I have now are less used than the ones he pounded

I don't give much credence to anything Mike Busch says. And haven't since about a dozen years ago when, over on CPA, he stated that you don't have to worry about getting your oil hot in the winter to boil off water because winter's cold air doesn't carry enough moisture to matter.

Someone had to point out to him that the moisture in the case was a byproduct of combustion.

Savvy what?

Savvy salesman maybe.
ya but.....now he found a dentist, lawyer, and a doodle puller.

Last edited:
"Doddle puller"?

Google: No results found for "Doddle puller".

I didn't want to start a debate, just recommend a guy that seems to be really cloud at what he does and murder affordable than most.The cylinders I have now are less used than the ones he pounded

Bad translation!

Suuuuure. We all know you just wanted to call Mr Busch a Doodle Pulling Cloud Assassin. ;)

You've given @timwinters a new nickname for Mr Busch against his own rule that no one ever make fun of a celebrity on the Internet. It might make them suicidal you know.

I suggest we create a safe space at OSH for Mr Busch in case his feelings are hurt, and stock it with fresh coleslaw.

Back