Good Resourse to learn Garmin

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
So Now I'm renting airplanes that has G530 and G430 Garmin models, what is a good resource to learn Garmin? I not sure if I need all the bells and whistles each model provides, but I need to first learn the basic functions.

you can download the emulators and play with them on your computer.

The 430W manual is a good start, used with the Garmin simulator.

Failing that, you can use one of Max Trescott's books. Kinda expensive.

You SHOULD learn all its capabilities. The time to do that is before you really need them. Like your iPad goes TU and you need an approach frequency to cross Class C or a tower frequency to land. Like how to test the GPS will actually work when you arrive (RAIM calc). In an emergency, how to load an instrument approach or locate the nearest airport. And so on.

A surprising amount of buttonology transfers to 650/750s and even G1000.

Makg1 for the type of flying I do I will only be scratching the surface of its full capabilities.
Thanks for the comments

Well, there is much more to this thing than a direct-to button.

Even VFR, you should always keep a flight plan, know how to edit it, know how to declutter the screen and get to the terrain page, understand OBS mode (real nice for finding the 45 or extended centerline of an airport you can't see yet -- and its cousin is how to activate a leg in your flight plan), how to look up airport info, and so on. REAL important is how to get to a known configuration.

Intentionally not knowing your equipment is a recipe for fixation. There are big mountains around where you fly. Big invisible mountains at night. An an instrument approach flown VFR is a good way to keep your airplane off them.

The old 430 simulator from Garmin won't work on newer versions of Windows. But there is a workaround - get their G500 simulator and it has a 430 built in. Works great although if you're starting from scratch, learning a sophisticated piece of avionics from a simulator is somewhat akin to learning a foreign language from a dictionary.

If you are starting from scratch, try www.GPS430.com. It's an introductory course in the 430 and costs $37. Money-back guarantee if you aren't satisfied.

The old 430 simulator from Garmin won't work on newer versions of Windows. But there is a workaround - get their G500 simulator and it has a 430 built in. Works great although if you're starting from scratch, learning a sophisticated piece of avionics from a simulator is somewhat akin to learning a foreign language from a dictionary.

If you are starting from scratch, try www.GPS430.com. It's an introductory course in the 430 and costs $37. Money-back guarantee if you aren't satisfied.

It works in "compatibility mode."

Well, there is much more to this thing than a direct-to button.

Even VFR, you should always keep a flight plan, know how to edit it, know how to declutter the screen and get to the terrain page, understand OBS mode (real nice for finding the 45 or extended centerline of an airport you can't see yet -- and its cousin is how to activate a leg in your flight plan), how to look up airport info, and so on. REAL important is how to get to a known configuration.

Intentionally not knowing your equipment is a recipe for fixation. There are big mountains around where you fly. Big invisible mountains at night. An an instrument approach flown VFR is a good way to keep your airplane off them.

I understand! When the time comes I own an airplane with a Garmin Of course I will learn it religiously. For now I rent doing short VFR Hops here and there.
I just want to get the basics down and looking for a resource that isn't to complicated. Like a Garmin 430/530 for dummies book.

You can also buy the quick reference cards online that are like checklists for the basic features. Makes it easier when sitting in the airplane. I've had my 430W in the plane for 6 years and still don't have it down cold for every feature that is available in those boxes.

One place that has them: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/6116?gclid=CMXaiem25MsCFY9hfgodtf4JhA

I've seen them cheaper, so shop around a bit to find the best price.

Cheers,
Brian

I understand! When the time comes I own an airplane with a Garmin Of course I will learn it religiously. For now I rent doing short VFR Hops here and there.
I just want to get the basics down and looking for a resource that isn't to complicated. Like a Garmin 430/530 for dummies book.

You seem to be thinking that effort spent on this will be wasted.

It won't be. You'll be able to just jump into a later Garmin GPS (especially a 650/750) with minimal transition. The only real difference is that the 650 supports airways, something you don't care about VFR. And the touchscreen is a really simple transition.

There are only a few flavors of aviation GPS out there. With the exception of 172SPs, almost all of them are 400-series, 600/700-series, and relatives. There are the few KLN and Apollo oddballs out there, but they really aren't common.

I'm a renter, too, and I switch between 400, 430W, 650, 750 and G1000 almost interchangeably, even IFR. The GPS isn't that complex. It's the interactions with autopilots that bite you.

This is correct. The Garmin 430 sim won't work on anything after Windows XP.

However, the 430W simulator works on later versions of Windows - requires XP or later. For me this free Garmin sim on the PC was the best way to learn about the device starting from scratch. Different people have different preferences to how they learn best.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3531

Last edited:
Back