Good Reason Not to Stand Too Close to a Tanker

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie

Still picture, from a distance:
EFhLtrMVAAEjt1k.jpg

Sometimes a wingman's gotta do what a wingman's gotta do.

Happens to chemical plants all the time.

“Unscheduled Maintenance Shutdown” aka our plant blew up.

After an exhaustive and lengthy 5 seconds of research....

UPDATE 1300 UTC Sep 28:
Reportedly, explosion was caused by cargo overheating, STOLT GROENLAND had styrene monomer load in No.9 tank, with neighbouring tanks containing liquids, which should be kept heated. Styrene monomer is a nasty stuff, very toxic and emitting toxic fumes, when on fire. According to latest Korean reports, fire was extinguished after much efforts, with many firefighting teams deployment. STOLT GRONELAND crew consists of 10 Russian and 15 Filipino nationalities, information on injures differs, 8 or 10 or 12 people, including crew and port workers, were injured, all save 1 slightly. One unidentified man suffered serious injures. Officials said, that fire was taken under control by 1630 Seoul time, and fully extinguished by the time this report was written, i.e. by 2200 Seoul time.

I actually saw a tanker explode in the late 70’s.

I was a passenger in a Continental Airlines flight approaching LAX, and as I was looking out the window, in the darkness, I saw a sudden bright white light. I thought it was a searchlight pointed at us. Then after a minute, the Captain announced that we could see a tanker exploding in the harbor.

I think it was the S.S. Sansinena in 1976 in Los Angeles. It was refueling.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Sansinena

There is some gas venting before it explodes...post explosion it was fiery venting... simple exhaust from engines wouldn’t do that right?

Back