Good purchase questions to ask?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
As stated in another thread, my partner and I are going on a first look at a plane in GA. What is a good list of questions to ask (and things to look for) on your first visit to look at a potenial plane?

Look in the logbooks, they should be clean and orderly. If they are a mess you can expect that the maintenance was also done in a haphazard way. Ask about what AD service they used, how often they changed the oil then verify those things. Look for little that should be repaired, if they always took the cheap way out to fix something.

Wow, Bill, there's so much stuff. Sight along the fuselage and all skin surfaces for signs of hail damage. Look at the condition of the fasteners for corrosion. Open the back door, remove the bulkhead and look into the tailcone with a flashlight for signs of corrosion and general condition. Also look at the cables for general condition.

In the cabin, for now just approach it as you would a used car -- general condition, loose stuff falling off, smooth operation of latches and controls ... that kind of thing.

In the logs, look at the times between annual inspections. See if it has sat a lot recently as evidenced by low times between annuals. That could be a red flag.

If you test fly it, check that it flies hands off. Note any vibrations that seem unusual. Make sure everything works.

I'll second or third the advice on logs. Plan to sit down with them, get a cup of coffee or tea and calmly and thoroughly look through them from the first page. If the plane is thirty yr. old, you won't spend too much time on the earlier stuff. Even if you are not an A&P, you can understand much of the entries. Watch for some item that's been repaired a number of times, for example. Like someone said, watch for long periods of inactivity [I once looked at a plane that had 0.1 hr. on it between the previous two annuals....] You might speak with a mechanic you know, at home or wherever you normally fly, and get him or her to agree to speak with you over the phone if you find any questions in the logs. Offer to pay them for the time on the phone; they may not charge [they'll be getting your business soon enough], but even if they do, it won't be much. I did this once, and the mechanic didn't like what I read to him, told me how much it might cost to fix it, and we negotiated the purchase price down appropriately.... If you have a friend who owns already, it will be worth gold if they'd go along with you and cast a critical glance at the plane, too. I've done that for a friend, once. Even found a couple things I didn't like....

Once you decide on a particular aircraft make, model and range of years that are inside your budget post your question again for detailed specifics for that aircraft. Good general info posted here to date but once you know the aircraft folks will provide lots of specific things to check. For example, on an older Mooney...SB208, flap attach point, aileron AD complied by replacement, nose gar trunion, fuel tank reseal...

Len

1 You do the title search, who owns the aircraft? leins? two party ownership? who must sign the bill of sale?

2 You do an AD search, (faa.com) find a mechanic to explane the costly ones, and what to look for as a sign hey were complied with.

How about checking out AOPA's website - if you're a member - for their "Tips On Buying Used Aircraft". And if you come close to a buying decision, check out their "Title Services" to ensure a clean title. Click on "A/C Valuation Services" link on the home page to use the info for both these services. Good luck.

If you're serious about buying, get a complete list of applicable AD's and SB's on the model. Verify the maintenance logs address every one. Determine the time in service of gyro-driven instruments and accessories like vac pumps, alternators, as well as consumables such as belts, tires, batteries and filters. It's a bargaining chip when the "what I'll give" and "what I'll take" numbers get close. You don't have to buy a perfect plane, but you shouldn't pay for one, either, if it's not.

Capt Kirk said:
Once you decide on a particular aircraft make, model and range of years that are inside your budget post your question again for detailed specifics for that aircraft. Good general info posted here to date but once you know the aircraft folks will provide lots of specific things to check. For example, on an older Mooney...SB208, flap attach point, aileron AD complied by replacement, nose gar trunion, fuel tank reseal...

Len

Len,

You must have missed the whole discussion on Bill buying a Cherokee Six. ;)

Bill Key question in ANY aircraft purchase is ... Does it fly. If the answer is yes move on to what everyone else said. ;)

Another good thing to do is look at the batery compartment. If it is dirty and looks like there have been spills they may be corrosion on the aircraft around it that could be expensive to fix.

Bill...what are you looking at and where in GA?

FlyNE said:
Yup, it still made me drool the second time around...

Me too! I hope things work for you, that ship is beautiful!

Back