Good Practice or Macho?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Winds tomorrow are predicted to be from 330, 15G30. I have a C172 waiting for me out at Frederick. Because of concerts, I haven't flown in a couple of weeks. I really am looking forward to the practice which I plan to make all VFR. Runway 30 is looking like a fine choice, but if I am feeling up to it, Runway 5 might be good for crosswind practice (or at least tracking the runway).

I've done these winds a good amount of times before, but they weren't easy (which is sorta what I want). Since the winds will be pretty well aligned to a runway, I am feeling good to go, or at least get out to the airport for a look-see. I really would like the practice. I know I have to make my own decision, do any of you have any thoughts on this?

BTW, one thing I think I will do is switch from the C172 to the C182.

Thanks!

It sounds like a good day to do some practices. Especially with runway 30 available. Gusty winds can really keep you on your toes.

I plan on going to Ocracoke tomorrow and am facing the same issues. Runway is 060 and winds are expected from 010 at 15G25. Should be fun.

Switching to the 182 will certainly add to the feeling of security and you should not be bounced around as much.

Have fun and send in a report on how you did.

I learned at an airport that commonly had those type of winds :eek: I think I had soloed before I made a calm wind landing ;)

I'm not bragging or even saying go, but they are definitely doable in a 172 so long as they are not 90 degrees off the numbers. Enjoy...

Ben, from what we've read of you and your piloting, I think it will be good fun and good practice.

Gehen sie!

I think I will make my way out there to at least do that look-see. If the reports exceed gusts to 30 knots, I'll just try for Tuesday!

I did 20G26 today, about 40 degrees off the runway. It was good practice.

Bleh. Sometimes life decides for you. My neck is hurting today because I slept with my head in a weird position. That, coupled with the cold outside and the wind is making it a no-go for me. I'm rescheduling for Tuesday.

I actually cancelled yesterday because of the winds (330@18G28KT) - but I've not had the time or $$ to fly since Nov. I think it's all about how recent you are and if you feel up to it!

Today, the winds are supposed to be under 10KT, so I'm going to get back in the saddle - regain my currency - and hopefully slowly build back up my confidence. ;)

Ben:

Let's chat about this when you visit. Cross wind practice is great; be prepared to go around if need be. I've practiced by deliberatly stopping the descent a couple feet off the ground and controlling the plane to fly as if landing. It gives a great feel for the cross controlling that must be done. Have gone a little lower slowly on a long runway and next thing you know, a wheel is down. Then, go ahead and land or go around and practice more. Keeping the plane off the gound and flying down the runway in a landing configuration had really helped me.

Dave

Thanks, guys. Yep. I know I can handle the wind, especially if it is as aligned with the runway as it is today. It is just that my neck is stiff, and it is cold out there. Since I have time Tuesday, I think I'll just wait.

wangmyers said:
Thanks, guys. Yep. I know I can handle the wind, especially if it is as aligned with the runway as it is today. It is just that my neck is stiff, and it is cold out there. Since I have time Tuesday, I think I'll just wait.
I don't blame you. I flew to W95 (Ocracoke) today. The winds were supposed to be more aligned with the runway than they actually were. When I got there it was a direct cross wind at 19G30. Made one approach and after dodging a few seagulls and getting the crap kicked out of me, I broke it off and headed to Beaufort and had a great lunch at Sanitary Seafood.

It was still a fun day.

Dave Siciliano said:
Ben:

Let's chat about this when you visit. Cross wind practice is great; be prepared to go around if need be. I've practiced by deliberatly stopping the descent a couple feet off the ground and controlling the plane to fly as if landing. It gives a great feel for the cross controlling that must be done. Have gone a little lower slowly on a long runway and next thing you know, a wheel is down. Then, go ahead and land or go around and practice more. Keeping the plane off the gound and flying down the runway in a landing configuration had really helped me.

Dave

Maybe I don't have as fast reflexes as you because I don't dare try that in gusty crosswinds!

In calm wind yes, but otherwise I'm coming down to stay or throttling up sooner for the bouncy-rolly-pitchy go around in any severe gusty stuff that can easily require or force deadly rocknroll banks into the unforgiving landing surface, therefore I'm note lingering around in the wing dragging and smashing zone a few feet from the surface.

NC Pilot said:
I don't blame you. I flew to W95 (Ocracoke) today. The winds were supposed to be more aligned with the runway than they actually were. When I got there it was a direct cross wind at 19G30. Made one approach and after dodging a few seagulls and getting the crap kicked out of me, I broke it off and headed to Beaufort and had a great lunch at Sanitary Seafood.

It was still a fun day.
I'm glad you were still able to have some fun! I'll have mine Tuesday.

wangmyers said:
Winds tomorrow are predicted to be from 330, 15G30.

We had very similar wind, and I was going to go out and play, but the plane puked an alternator earlier in the day...no joy.

Bill Jennings said:
I love that place. Beaufort is noce, too!

Try Finz at the waterfront sometime... great outdoor dining place to watch the yahts come in. Oh yeah, the food is good too. :)

jdwatson said:
Try Finz at the waterfront sometime... great outdoor dining place to watch the yahts come in.

It was no yacht, but I used to own a 19ft trailerable sailboat, and sailed along that inlet amoungst the yachts. Very very nice to see it from the boat side.

The way I practice landings and airplane control is by coming down and touching the right main wheel on the numbers and holding it down the centerline. I don't let anything except the right main touch. After about 1,000 feet of this, I switch it to the left main on the centerline. I hold that for awhile, switch to the right main...Go around, and repeat...

At first it's kind of hard, eventually you get a feel for it. It's a fun "can you do this" trick with another pilot ;)

I've never tried it in a low wing, though I suspect you could do it. I just have a fear of smacking a wing on the ground...It works great in a 150 or 172 though.

wangmyers said:
Winds tomorrow are predicted to be from 330, 15G30. I have a C172 waiting for me out at Frederick. Because of concerts, I haven't flown in a couple of weeks. I really am looking forward to the practice which I plan to make all VFR. Runway 30 is looking like a fine choice, but if I am feeling up to it, Runway 5 might be good for crosswind practice (or at least tracking the runway).

I've done these winds a good amount of times before, but they weren't easy (which is sorta what I want). Since the winds will be pretty well aligned to a runway, I am feeling good to go, or at least get out to the airport for a look-see. I really would like the practice. I know I have to make my own decision, do any of you have any thoughts on this?

BTW, one thing I think I will do is switch from the C172 to the C182.

Thanks!
Late response, sorry:

Having landed in 18G25 just once, with a nearly dead on headwind, and once in 10G18 or so with a 90 deg crosswind, as long as the winds are straight down the runway, I'd still have to think twice. That's just me though. The straight in with 18G25 was NOT fun.

Then again, part of the reason it wasn't fun was my wife was right seat and feeling so motion sick at the time that she got confused as to what she was wearing.

The 10G18 (or something like that) xwind was at Pottstown (the one by the nuke plant where we had the fly in last year) and it kicked up when I was about 3ft above the ground, and gave me a good 10+ degree yaw when it first hit. I hit the rudder and the power in a microsecond and spent the time between the control input and the aircraft response dreading what would happen if we touched with that much side load on the wheels. Fortunately on the second time around, the winds were gentler, and I was more braced for it.

Back