• Tim's Engines

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

JOHN SEMERC

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skytrails
Coming up on TBO on my TSIO-520P and have to pull the Milleniums because of the AD, so I'm gonna do a major instead of just the top and wanted some feedback. Any one have any experience with Performance Aero Engines at Brackett, Corona Aircraft Engines Corona, or Tim's Engines Long Beach? Any Thoughts, experiences?

As long as we're ignoring the voting choices, RAM aircraft in Waco, TX

I’ll add to the mix. Gann Aviation in Lafayette, GA. Carlus used to build engines for Bill Elliott. Great work but be prepared to wait.

From the choices you gave, I looked at a 182 with the O-470 done by Corona. My research into them while considering the airplane was positive. No personal experience.

OP list OH shops in the vicinity of LA and people are making suggestions for east coast....

I realize you folks out there in the boonies are isolated, but you can ship an engine any where by this new service they call freight.
Friends in Wyoming and other places ship to Zephyr in Florida. I, unfortunately, used a shop closer to me. WishI hadn't. The total price would have been cheaper using Zephyr. Had to send one brand new cylinder back to ECI for new rings, (they were incredibly nice about it and cut the price) and 6 months of aggravation with the closer shop. Shop refused to honor the warranty. Didn't quite get to the lawyer level, but in retrospect, wish it had.

I realize you folks out there in the boonies are isolated, but you can ship an engine any where by this new service they call freight.

Zephyr (and I’m assuming other shops) have free pick up for engines if relatively local. So there’s at least 1 reason to stay within a certain area.

Thank you all for your input, will post once we get the engine back.

Only experience is with Zephyr,did a good job ,reasonable price.

I know folks who have had good experience with Tim's on an OH. We had them do new cylinder setups for us (fairly minor work) and they were good. Haven't heard anything bad about Performance Aero or Corona either, and I've been an owner in the area for 14 years. I'd recommended talking to all three and going with the one you're most comfortable with.

We are getting close to doing the io-360 on our Diamond. We have had good luck with Poplar Grove Airmotive, but they currently have an eight week turnaround!

Any recent pireps on the turnaround at Zephyr?

We are getting close to doing the io-360 on our Diamond. We have had good luck with Poplar Grove Airmotive, but they currently have an eight week turnaround!

8 weeks? Wish my prop-strike turnaround was anywhere close to that fast from them.

But as Kung-Fu would tell you, patience grasshopper.

Their work is worth the wait IMHO.

We are getting close to doing the io-360 on our Diamond.

Bah. It's only got 2700 hours on it. Should be good for a few years yet...

I saw one that was for sale that had 3600 hours on it, still on the original engine. Seller knew they probably wouldn't be able to sell it that way, so had an "as is" price and a "fresh engine" price, but the engine was still running fine.

NOT Poplar Grove.

I'm curious too... I didn't like how lonnnggg it took, but the work itself was solid. O-320

Oh, and the insurance paid for the bulk of it, so i didn't have any price issues to speak of.

Back