Good new from the FAA

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
There are 2 new notices out in print for mechanics, please pass these on to your mechanic.

Please excuse the lenght of the post..

Effective Date: 6/12/06 Cancellation Date: 6/12/07

SUBJ: USE AND DISTRIBUTION OF FAA FORM 337, INCLUDING AUTOMATED SUBMISSION AND RETENTION SYSTEM (ASRS)

1. PURPOSE. This notice provides new information on procedures and requirements for the users of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Form 337, Major Repair & Alteration (Airframe, Powerplant, Propeller or Appliance).
2. DISTRIBUTION. This notice is distributed to the division level in the Flight Standards Service in Washington headquarters; the branch level in the regional Flight Standards Divisions; the Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO); and to the Regulatory Standards Division at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center. This notice is also distributed electronically to the division level in the Flight Standards Service in Washington headquarters and to all regional Flight Standards divisions and district offices. This information is also available on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Web site at: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8300/notices/ .
3. BACKGROUND. Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 43, appendix*B, section (a) (3) states that, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall forward a copy of FAA Form 337 to the local FSDO within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service. Section 43.12 further describes the requirements and consequences, regarding the falsification, reproduction, or alteration of maintenance records and section 43.9(d) places the responsibility of data quality and information listed on the form to the person performing the work.
a. Flight Standards aviation safety inspectors (ASI) traditionally perform a review for completeness and conformity prior to submission to the FAA Registry in Oklahoma City, OK.
b. Since data quality is the responsibility of the submitter, the ASI will no longer perform that function.
4. DISCUSSION. This change procedurally relieves both industry and the FAA, so it is imperative that users of FAA Form 337 comply with all regulatory requirements for return to service and submission to the FAA Registry. FAA inspectors are available to provide assistance with any question or concern relative to the process.
a. In the calendar year 2006, the FAA expects to launch an automated version of FAA Form*337. The system will provide query capability for data retrieval by the FAA, an auto fill function for the user, and an electronic interaction with all of the workflow scenarios presently used.
b. Persons performing major repairs or major alterations will have the option of recording those actions using the automated form, which will be submitted directly to the FAA Registry or continue with the traditional paper copy which is sent to the local FSDO for collection and forwarding to the FAA Registry. Procedures are currently being developed to better coordinate both methods of submission.
5. ACTION. In order to accommodate the Automated Submission and Retention System, FAA Form 337 has been slightly modified to allow a search of existing databases. These changes will be reflected as an official change to the Office of Management and Budget form.
a. The FAA Form 337s submitted electronically will go directly to the FAA Registry and ASIs will have the ability to query and/or spot check at his or her discretion.
b. The forms submitted by paper copy will be sent to the FSDO for collection and forwarding to the Registry.
c. Policy and procedural guidance material will be revised to accommodate this change. Prior to release, ASI’s with appropriate authority will be given digital signature authorization for field approval applications.
6. DISPOSITION. This notice will be incorporated into Order 8300.10, Airworthiness Inspector’s Handbook, volume 2, chapter 1, section 1; 14 CFR part 43, appendix B; and Advisory Circular 43.9-1E, Instructions for Completion of FAA Form 337 (OMB No. 2120-0020), Major Repair and Alteration (Airframe, Powerplant, Propeller, or Appliance). All questions or comments should be directed to Bob Stockslager, General Aviation and Repair Station Branch, AFS-340 at (717) 774-8271.

ORIGINAL SIGNED by

James J. Ballough
Director, Flight Standards Service

NOTICE N 8300.122

6/21/06

Cancellation
Date: 6/21/07
SUBJ: USE OF MANUFACTURER’S REPAIR OR SERVICE DATA AS
FAA-APPROVED DATA FOR MAJOR REPAIRS FOR AIRCRAFT ISSUED A TYPE CERTIFICATE PRIOR TO JANUARY 1, 1980

1. PURPOSE. This notice provides information to aviation safety inspectors (ASI) concerning the ability to use a manufacturer’s repair or service data as FAA-approved data for major repairs on airplanes by authorized persons.
2. DISTRIBUTION. This notice is distributed to the division level in the Flight Standards Service in Washington headquarters; to the branch level in the regional Flight Standards Divisions; to the Flight Standards District Offices; and to the Regulatory Standards Division at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center. This notice is also distributed electronically to the division level in the Flight Standards Service in Washington headquarters and to all regional Flight Standards divisions and district offices. This information is also available on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Web site at: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8300/notices/
3. BACKGROUND.
Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 43, section 43.13(a) states that, “Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer’s maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, or practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as noted in section 43.16.” FAA inspectors are prepared to answer questions that may arise in this regard. Persons engaged in the inspection and repair of civil aircraft should be familiar with 14 CFR part 43, Maintenance, Preventive Maintenance, Rebuilding, and Alteration; and 14 CFR part 65, subparts A, D, and E of Certification: Airmen other than flight crewmembers, and the applicable airworthiness requirements under which the aircraft was type certificated (TC).
Advisory Circular (AC) 43.13-1B, Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices--Aircraft Inspection and Repair, contains methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator for the inspection and repair of non-pressurized areas of civil aircraft, only when there are no manufacturer repair or maintenance instructions. This data generally pertains to minor repairs. The repairs identified in AC 43.13-1B may also be used as a basis for FAA approval for major repairs. The repair data may also be used as approved data, and the AC chapter, page, and paragraph listed in block 8 of FAA Form 337, Major Repairs and Alterations, when:
(1) The user has determined that it is appropriate to the product being repaired.
(2) It is directly applicable to the repair being made.
(3) It is not contrary to manufacturer’s data.
Service and repair data provided by small airplane manufacturers, although, in most cases, not specifically approved, has provided for continued airworthiness of their product. Service experience in using this data when performing major repairs to non-pressurized airplanes that are 12,500 pounds or less maximum certificated takeoff weight, and were originally TC’d before January 1, 1980, has proven to be very reliable if followed and not deviated from.
4. ACTION. In recognition of the reliable service experience provided when using the original manufacturer’s data for small airplanes, authorized persons may use service and repair data in accordance with existing regulations, as approved data for major repairs on non-pressurized areas of airplanes that are 12,500 pounds or less maximum certificated takeoff weight, and were originally TC’d before January 1, 1980 provided the requirements listed in Table 1 below are followed. Follow-on TC’d of the same model airplane, or a derivative thereof (may be assigned a later TC date), is considered to meet this criteria. When the data is used in this manner, the AC chapter, page and paragraph or manufacturer’s data (with page, paragraph, etc.) must be referred to in block 8 of FAA Form 337.
TABLE 1.

DATA THAT MAY BE USED PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET
MANUFACTURER’S REPAIR DATA EXISTS FOR THE SPECIFIC REPAIR BEING ACCOMPLISHED Manufacturer’s repair or maintenance instructions The repair is appropriate to the product being repaired

a. b. The data is directly applicable to the make and model airplane on which the repair is made

c. d. The specific repair that is needed for the airplane will not deviate in any way from the manufacturer’s repair or maintenance instructions

e. f. g.
h. i. j.
k. l. m.
n. o. p.

MANUFACTURER’S REPAIR DATA DOESN’T EXIST

OR

MANUFACTURER’S REPAIR DATA DOESN’T EXIST FOR THE SPECIFIC REPAIR BEING ACCOMPLISHED AC 43.13-1B The repair is appropriate to the product being repaired
q. r. The data is not contrary to any other data available from the manufacturer (or design approval holder)
s. t. The repair does not affect pressurized areas of the airplane (areas affected by pressure loads)

5. INQUIRIES. This notice was developed jointly by the Aircraft Maintenance Division,
AFS-300, and the Aircraft Certification Division, AIR-100. All questions or comments should be directed to AFS-340 at (202) 267-3546.

6. DISPOSITION. This notice will be incorporated into the next revision of Order 8300.10, Airworthiness Inspector’s Handbook, volume 2, chapter 1, section 1, and AC 43.13-1B.

Original Signed by
Carol Giles for
James J. Ballough
Director, Flight Standards Service

As I see it...

Item #1 - FAA will accept electronic records as "official".

Item #2 - Repairs performed on aircraft can be legal when no mfg's data for the repair exists if done IAW AC 43.13-1B. Makes working on older planes less troublesome. Probably reins in some inspectors who raised some "overly narrow" compliance issues during field inspections.

It makes the paper work a LOT eaiser.

the new 43-13-2B is out soon, and that will make radio up dates a lot easier.

think GPS installation.

The manufacturers installation instructions becomes the APPROVED data for the A&P-IA to do the return to service NO MORE asking the FAA to approve the installation.

And Then, they can be submitted by wire, not snail mail, and FSDO can't send them back to get a "T" crossed or a "I" dotted.

They are getting ready to launch the test on this up here. I just attended a seminar on it I'm not sure if it will be that great. Like all things it will take a while to work the bugs out. :dunno:

Tim said:
They are getting ready to launch the test on this up here. I just attended a seminar on it I'm not sure if it will be that great. Like all things it will take a while to work the bugs out. :dunno:

Launch the test? What's to test? the 2 directives are stand alone methods of the way the FAA is going to do business.

If your FSDO Wants to test something they should talk to the guy who signed the notices.

He the man..

Yes the FAA will be accepting electronic 337 Forms in the near future, however it will require A&P/IA to have a computer and (PAY) for the privilege to sign up and keep the electronic signature.

This is not a work a around of the field approval process and if a FAA inspector does not sign off electronically in block three the field approval will not be accepted as approved data. There are some computer things that will have to be worked out yet before the system is implemented. And it is not a FSDO thing. All the FSDO's have eletronic signature right now for Air carriers and repair stations.

The test will be how the A&P/IA will attach the required data to the 337 form such as drawing, pictures, and etc. As a back up the paper 337 will still be around.

Stache

If
"3. BACKGROUND. Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 43, appendix*B, section (a) (3) states that, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall forward a copy of FAA Form 337 to the local FSDO within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service. Section 43.12 further describes the requirements and consequences, regarding the falsification, reproduction, or alteration of maintenance records and section 43.9(d) places the responsibility of data quality and information listed on the form to the person performing the work.
a. Flight Standards aviation safety inspectors (ASI) traditionally perform a review for completeness and conformity prior to submission to the FAA Registry in Oklahoma City, OK.
b. Since data quality is the responsibility of the submitter, the ASI will no longer perform that function"

is true, what does the ASI do before he signs the form?

It'll be a fun gaggle for a while because the local FSDOs do not understand the notice..

Things will change.. Even Stache

Stache said:
Yes the FAA will be accepting electronic 337 Forms in the near future, however it will require A&P/IA to have a computer and (PAY) for the privilege to sign up and keep the electronic signature.

This is not a work a around of the field approval process and if a FAA inspector does not sign off electronically in block three the field approval will not be accepted as approved data. There are some computer things that will have to be worked out yet before the system is implemented. And it is not a FSDO thing. All the FSDO's have eletronic signature right now for Air carriers and repair stations.

The test will be how the A&P/IA will attach the required data to the 337 form such as drawing, pictures, and etc. As a back up the paper 337 will still be around.

Stache

And who is starting the program (what Region)? Stache

NC19143 said:
Launch the test? What's to test? the 2 directives are stand alone methods of the way the FAA is going to do business.

If your FSDO Wants to test something they should talk to the guy who signed the notices.

He the man..

It's not all worked out yet... we just had a demonstration up here, it ain't up yet.

Do you know if the electronic submission program allows you to print a paper copy? I'm gonna want something in my logbooks to document the change to future buyers.

Troy Whistman said:
Do you know if the electronic submission program allows you to print a paper copy? I'm gonna want something in my logbooks to document the change to future buyers.

I have been running bata testing with SEA FSDO and yes I can print anything I send.

Let's say I apply the Auto gas STC to your aircraft. that will require I send a 337 to registry, the local FSDO no longer needs to see the paper. I as an IA can return to service, with the log entry and fill out the 337 on line and submit it to OKC and print you a copy. and a copy for my files.

Now the Field approval method where there is no approved data to do the return to service by the A&P-IA. then I must fill out the 337 and propose to the Airworthiness inspector what I plan to do. I can not send this to the FSDO by electronic methods rather than snale mail. This portion of the approval system as Stach has said did not change. Just the method of sending and recieving the 337.

I have been doing business with my FSDO by E-Mail for several years. I can attach any PDF format page to the email and allow them to review what I would like to do before I send the smooth 337 in for approval.

NC19143 said:
It'll be a fun gaggle for a while because the local FSDOs do not understand the notice..

Things will change.. Even Stache

Some FSDO Inspectors can read, write, and understand technical English most of the time and some can even use a computer. I support the electronic 337, as it will cut down on the amount of paper work that has to be filled out and processed by the mechainc and FAA. It will also put the responsibility back on the A&P/IA to make sure it is done correctly.

As you may not know all FSDO Inspector now have access to all the aircraft and registration records in Oklahoma City from their desk or lap top computers. Adding the electronic 337 is another step in which the Inspector can assist mechanics in locating data quickly if needed. For example if you are performing an annual inspection and don’t have a copy of a 337. You can contact your local FSDO Inspector and request they down load copy for you. If you have a good working relationship with your local Inspector they could assist you by providing the missing 337. This would save ordering the CD-ROM and waiting for it to arrive before proceeding with the annual inspection and helping your customer.

Just one man’s opinion.

Stache said:
Some FSDO Inspectors can read, write, and understand technical English most of the time and some can even use a computer.]

WoW! things are looking up..:)

Stache said:
I support the electronic 337, as it will cut down on the amount of paper work that has to be filled out and processed by the mechainc and FAA. It will also put the responsibility back on the A&P/IA to make sure it is done correctly.

This may or may not be an improvement. (yet to be seen)

Stache said:
You can contact your local FSDO Inspector and request they down load copy for you. If you have a good working relationship with your local Inspector they could assist you by providing the missing 337. This would save ordering the CD-ROM and waiting for it to arrive before proceeding with the annual inspection and helping your customer.
Stache said:

Just one man’s opinion.

This only requires a phone call.

NC19143 said:
WoW! things are looking up..:)

This may or may not be an improvement. (yet to be seen)

This only requires a phone call.

Sounds like the FAA is moving into the 20th Century! Woo Hoo.:cheerswine: :D

Back