good lunch spots

bluee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
AL
Name your favorite lunch spots! I'm looking on the east coast, but feel free to share your favorites.

Have you been to W75 yet?

No, but it's on my list. I was really looking for places far away enough to count as a cross country. Hummel is only 30 miles or so. But how's the food?

New Bedford MA (EWB )
Plymouth MA (PYM)
New Haven CT (HVN)
Orange County NY (MGJ)
Reading PA (RDG) - great museum on field, too
Lancaster PA (LNS)
York PA (THV)
Johnstown PA (JST)
Altoona PA (AOO)
Chester County PA (MQS) - the reuben is amazing
Sky Manor NJ (N40)
South Jersey NJ (VAY)
Cape May NJ (WWD) - small museum next door to restaurant
Georgetown DE (GED)
Easton MD (ESN)
Cambridge MD (CGE) - closed Wed
Tangier Island VA (TGI) - summer only, closed winters.
Gaithersburg MD (GAI) - beware -- inside the DC SFRA
Frederick MD (FDK)
Martinsburg WV (MRB )
Parkersburg WV (PKB )
Manassas VA (HEF) - beware -- inside the DC SFRA
Shenandoah Valley VA (SHD)
Williamsburg VA (JGG) - have your sandwich on the black bread and don't miss the seafood bisque
Martinsville VA (MTV) - but not on either of the two race weekends each year
Chesterfield County VA (FCI) - closed on Saturdays, open Su-Fr.
Hampton Roads VA (PVG)
Rutherfordton NC (FQD) - the burritos are their specialty.

That ought to get you started...

Last edited:
Great list, thanks! I decided to go to Manassas as part of my long IFR cross country but have to add another airport. I picked Manassas specifically to go into the DC area, but I want to go with my instructor.

Manassas VA (HEF) - beware -- inside the DC SFRA

Ron,

Is there a place to eat on the field at HEF?

Back in the spring, I gave a pilot a lift to the Red Robin about 1 1/2 miles away thinking that was the closest thing resembling a restaurant to the airport.

Thanks,
Paul

KRUE Russellville, AR - Country cooking - the Eagles club is adjacent to airport property and within easy walking distance from the ramp. $6 all you can eat every Wednesday lunch.

No, but it's on my list. I was really looking for places far away enough to count as a cross country. Hummel is only 30 miles or so. But how's the food?

Stop somewhere like EZF first then it will count ;)

There are actually two places at W75, The Pilot House which I heard has good barbecue but I don't really know about that. Then the German place Eckhard's right across the street from the airport. It's very good but a bit pricey and is really a dinner spot, not lunch, though I think they open for Dinner earlyish on Sundays.

AXQ - Virginia Diner, they will pick you up for free. Haven't been there myself.

FKN - Franklin Rose - you can borrow a courtesy car and eat somewhere in town.

TCI - Tangier Island is good but like Ron said, summer only. No car needed.

SFQ - I think there's a restaurant on field but it was closed when I was there.

OXB - Ocean City MD, you can rent a car or take a taxi into town.

W96/RIC - This place is about halfway between W96 and RIC on Route 60 (accessible from 64 also) http://www.williesbbqva.com/

Last edited:
General Fox , Lancaster CA, (WJF)
Bracket, CA (POC), nice resturant on the SW corner of the airfield with a patio view of the airport.

KCGE - Cambridge, MD
KGED - Georgetown, DE
KJGG - Williamsburg/Jamestown, VA (Charleys)
KTHV - York, PA

K22 - Prestonsburg, KY (Big Sandy) Good fuel prices too!

Nice, friendly little joint at KASH. Nashua,NH. Great Rueben sandwich.
KWWD, Wildwood, NJ. Aviation museum right next door too.
kHGR has a really fancy, tablecloth and linen napkin place. Pricey, but very good.

Last edited:
best lunch place I have found is the pik-n-pig 5nc3

carthage, nc

Is there a place to eat on the field at HEF?
There WAS a nice restaurant on the second floor over Volo Aviation on the east side. I understand what was Volo is now APPJet, and I don't know for sure whether the restaurant is still there or not.

There WAS a nice restaurant on the second floor over Volo Aviation on the east side. I understand what was Volo is now APPJet, and I don't know for sure whether the restaurant is still there or not.

From the airport FAQ :

Q: Is there a restaurant located on the Airport?
A: No, Hoppy's Skytop Restaurant & Lounge closed May 2010.

:sad:

No restaurant in Manassas, we called. We stopped in Martinsburg, WV (MRB ) for lunch during my long IR cross country. The food was just okay, not great.

Millville, NJ- KMIV. Flightline restaurant. They used to have 2, but it seems Antino's is closed.

The Runway Restaurant at Barnes-Springfield MA-KBAF, One of the all time best! Also, that little Pizza Joint just off the runway at Central Jersey...I don't recall the identifier just now, but man that was some awesome pie (had to skip the beer though)

Back