Good LA area flight schools and instructors

genetk44

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
genetk44
Good day gang,
My one and only niece just took a familiarization flight and loved it. She lives in the LA area....anybody have recommendations for really good flight schools and/or instructors in the area?? Any advice would be much appreciatted.

Thanks
Gene

Hello Gene,

Where in LA is she? I am training out of Los Angeles area at Van Nuys airport. Its a crowded place and in all honesty, I will end up paying a bit more in the end having to train at a place so busy due to waiting and such. However, by doing so, it will make me more confident to fly in and out of busy locations so the tradeoff seems worth it. Also it makes pilots very profisient with ATC comunications. My instructor is freelance and I pay $45 an hour. I cna give you a recomandation on where if she plans to fly out of Van Nuys, Whiteman, Santa Paula or Santa Monica. I am sure others on here hve recomendations for other LA airports.

Marc

Well she figures she is equidistant to both Santa Monica and Burbank airports....she's leaning towards the Santa Monica one because that's we're she did her familiarization flight with American Flyers. That doesn't mean she is set on using American Flyers as her flight school...she is wide open to suggestions....she's still checking all options.

Last edited:
Hello Gene,

I have heard good things about american flyers. Only downside with training out of Santa Monica is that it has less favorable weather in regards to fog and low ceilings. Also I hear they have a lnading fee, but I have never trained there so unsure if it applies to training.

Van Nuys has more consitant clear VFR dyas for sure, but as I mentioned above it is more crowded. But for me I chose it for that reason to get use to flying in a congested location. I rent from Continental aviation and train with a freelance instructor. However continental has good instructors. I plan to try renting at american aviation as well, but unsure about their instructors. Also here is a link to my instructor who also gives free seminars and also offers an inexpensive groundschool as well. www.mendaviation.com

I dont believe there is any training at Burbank. There use to be a club there, but burbank has been pushing most of the prop planes out.

If I had my choice and driving distance was not an option I would train out of Santa Paula with CP aviation. Mostly because I really liek that airport, and they have a good rep. It is where I plan to take my tailwheel training.

Last edited:
While not exactly close by, Dubois Aviation up in Chino looked to be a really good operation. I flew there over this past weekend just to get current, and it seemed to be a really nice place to fly. Plus Chino has some cool stuff flying around all the time. www.duboisaviation.com

Back