Good instructor in Albuquerque

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
I have a student, post-solo who is going to Albuquerque for a week long conference. I suggested she go up with an instructor for a flight while she's there to get a bit of local knowledge.

She's flown 172s exclusively so that would be a plus.

Any recommendations?

Joe

I have a student, post-solo who is going to Albuquerque for a week long conference. I suggested she go up with an instructor for a flight while she's there to get a bit of local knowledge.

She's flown 172s exclusively so that would be a plus.

Any recommendations?

Joe

Avoid Bode like the plague (They're about to go out of business, thank god).

That leaves you with my current flight school, based at the Albuquerque International Sunport, at Del Sol Aviation. They do not have a C172, but they have a PA28-140, a P28R-200, and a Liberty XL. I would STRONGLY recommend Justin Chavez, the instructor there. He's my II, and he's fun and a good instructor.

But whatever you do....stay away from Bode. They're bad news, overpriced, and jerks.

Bode leaving - what's gonna happen at Double Eagle then? Bode put the other FBO out of business, didn't it? Been about a year since I was there, haven't kept up with the news.

Bode leaving - what's gonna happen at Double Eagle then? Bode put the other FBO out of business, didn't it? Been about a year since I was there, haven't kept up with the news.

Yes. Bode actually poisoned West Mesa Aviation and then swooped in with the help of the Airport Manager to force their hand in buying them out.

Funny story: A while back, I was looking into opening a pilot shop at Double Eagle. The Airport Manager told me that Bode had a no compete clause (no mention of West Mesa, which was still there), and that I could not open a pilot shop because of it. Bode had no pilot shop, but the airport manager said "They could open one someday, and they have exclusive rights to do so."

Bode took over, raised their prices on hangars and fuel and just basically said "We're the only game, do something." No competition could move in since the city blocked it. Now they're struggling and there is rumors that the city is no longer supporting them. Good.

Let them die a slow, painful, mafiaesque death that they've sowed.

As to what will happen? The city will have to find something, won't they? Otherwise that nice new tower that was built will go to waste.

Can't speak to Bode as a flight school, but they've been good to me as a transient pilot, and their avionics shop did a flawless job on my GPS install at a competitive price.

When it existed, I too preferred West Mesa, and its closure meant the end of cheap fuel in the ABQ area.

Nick, just wondering what makes you say Bode is hurting to the point of being nearly out of business? Certainly traffic is down at AEG, but I think that has more to do with the collapse of Eclipse and the economy than anything about Bode.

Jon

Nick, just wondering what makes you say Bode is hurting to the point of being nearly out of business? Certainly traffic is down at AEG, but I think that has more to do with the collapse of Eclipse and the economy than anything about Bode.

Jon

its the local rumors. People have been saying that they neglected to donate to Marty Chavez (ABQ Mayor)'s political fund this year, so they're being pushed out. I think that's a load of BS, but that's just one of many rumors surrounding their collapse.

Truth is, not many local pilots use Bode if they can avoid it. I know many people based at KAEG that actually fly to Belen to get fuel (I know I did) to avoid giving Bode any money that they can avoid. I think its taking its toll.

Richard had a fun story about an experience at Bode. I can't delve into details without his permission (maybe he'll chime in), but they actually forced him to remove a comment on Airnav to protect their "good" name.

Avoid Bode like the plague (They're about to go out of business, thank god).

That leaves you with my current flight school, based at the Albuquerque International Sunport, at Del Sol Aviation. They do not have a C172, but they have a PA28-140, a P28R-200, and a Liberty XL. I would STRONGLY recommend Justin Chavez, the instructor there. He's my II, and he's fun and a good instructor.

But whatever you do....stay away from Bode. They're bad news, overpriced, and jerks.

I hope you aren't a professional pilot, as that response is very UNprofessional.

Justine Chavez is a fabulous instructor- not only is he a superb pilot, but his ability to teach and convey what he is instructing to you is second to none. I too highly recommend him.
As far as your comment on Bode (and the others as well), it is unfounded. Any rumors about them going out of business is heresay and cheap talk. As if running a business isn't hard enough these days, anything connected with aviation is twice as difficult. If they could sell the gas cheaper and still stay afloat, of course they would. Sure, go ahead and run down to Mid-Valley to gas up- There overhead isn't 1/10th of Bode's. Bode Aviation runs a professional FBO, and go out of their way to help. It's easy to trash a business behind the anonimity of the internet, isn't it? If I ever had an issue with Bode Aviation, I went to John and discussed it personally, and he went above and beyond to make it right.

If Bode were to fold up, you would be begging for them to come back if Atlantic took over, which in all likelyhood would be the new owners- and If you don't like the gas prices now, go check out Atlantic at ABQ-

My .02

Last edited:
I hope you aren't a professional pilot, as that response is very UNprofessional.

Justine Chavez is a fabulous instructor- not only is he a superb pilot, but his ability to teach and convey what he is instructing to you is second to none. I too highly recommend him.
As far as your comment on Bode (and the others as well), it is unfounded. Any rumors about them going out of business is heresay and cheap talk. As if running a business isn't hard enough these days, anything connected with aviation is twice as difficult. If they could sell the gas cheaper and still stay afloat, of course they would. Sure, go ahead and run down to Mid-Valley to gas up- There overhead isn't 1/10th of Bode's. Bode Aviation runs a professional FBO, and go out of their way to help. It's easy to trash a business behind the anonimity of the internet, isn't it? If I ever had an issure with Bode Aviation, I went to John and discussed it personally, and he went above and beyond to make it right.

If Bode were to fold up, you would be begging for them to come back if Atlantic took over, which in all likelyhood would be the new owners- and If you don't like the gas prices now, go check out Atlantic at ABQ-

My .02

LOL!

This person clearly works for Bode. No one but a Bode employee would praise them.

Take this person's .02 for the money its worth.

edit: Since you work there, maybe you can explain why Bode took over West Mesa and immediately raised prices to the point of insanity, if they "would sell fuel cheaper if they could."

BTW, aside from you, using a fake name, no one here is being "Anoynmous." My name is Nick, as the post says, and Bode can look up my information if they'd like. They clearly have it on file under the numerous times they tried to add fuel purchases to my account without my permission, then had the nerve to send letters demanding payment for. BTW, they didn't get a penny.

So - I guess if you really, really want to do business with Bode, my advice is: "Don't give them your credit card, as they'll tack fuel purchases onto it."

Last edited:
I got my single engine commercial rating at Bode a few years back.

It was the year of the big snowstorm, I was there over Christmas, not many of the instructors were around, and ... well ... it snowed. A lot. Airplanes got buried, and parts broke. These were tough days.

They bent over backwards to make sure I got in the air, and I had to get in the air a lot to get the time requirements, the experience, and to work through all the maneuvers. I would go back. They did well by me.

Brian Handy
CFI/CFII/MEI

My name is Pat, and no, I do NOT work for Bode, as is your habit of "clearly" being wrong. Do everyone a favor and continue taking your business elsewhere.

Remember, if West Mesa was making a fair profit, they wouldn't have needed to sell. There is more to running an FBO then fuel. Some day if you ever own a business, you might understand.

Last edited:
My name is Pat, and no, I do NOT work for Bode, as is your habit of "clearly" being wrong. Do everyone a favor and continue taking your business elsewhere.

Remember, if West Mesa was making a fair profit, they wouldn't have needed to sell. There is more to running an FBO then fuel. Some day if you ever own a business, you might understand.

Well Pat, I am about 90% sure I know exactly who you are since
1) You are a student pilot in the Albuquerque area.
2) You are flying with Bode, and
3) Your name is Pat

If you are who I think you are, we know a lot of the same people, and you work with my Fiance, so I'm going to stop this conversation here with the following advice:

1) Bode's instructors are probably very good instructors, working for a bad company
2) Check your receipts for errors, as they're prone to make a lot of billing mistakes
3) Don't give them your credit card information if you can avoid it.
4) Someday, come on over to Del Sol. You won't regret renting from a legit organization some day.
5) If you ever buy a plane, don't trust Bode to have an account set up for you, as they WILL add fuel sales to it when you're not paying attention.

FWIW, I was obviously wrong in the first claim, since the post was in May, and Bode is still around. The rumors continue to fly, but they're still around. I guess that says something.

Welcome to PoA, and who knows, maybe someday we'll share the same airspace.

Well Pat, I am about 90% sure I know exactly who you are since
1) You are a student pilot in the Albuquerque area.
2) You are flying with Bode, and
3) Your name is Pat

If you are who I think you are, we know a lot of the same people, and you work with my Fiance, so I'm going to stop this conversation here with the following advice:

1) Bode's instructors are probably very good instructors, working for a bad company
2) Check your receipts for errors, as they're prone to make a lot of billing mistakes
3) Don't give them your credit card information if you can avoid it.
4) Someday, come on over to Del Sol. You won't regret renting from a legit organization some day.
5) If you ever buy a plane, don't trust Bode to have an account set up for you, as they WILL add fuel sales to it when you're not paying attention.

FWIW, I was obviously wrong in the first claim, since the post was in May, and Bode is still around. The rumors continue to fly, but they're still around. I guess that says something.

Welcome to PoA, and who knows, maybe someday we'll share the same airspace.
1) Well, I am not a student pilot, and 2), I do own a plane, two planes to be exact, and 3) Bode Aviation has been accurate and legit on every transaction so far. And 4), yes, I am friends with several people at Del Sol. I am sure we will run into each other. Are Bode's fuel prices higher than E98? Yes, but they are also less than E80. I also know that I have taken one of my planes in to be looked at, and the Bodes said no charge. Well worth the price of fuel.

I didn't mean to rant, but it is so easy to point out the errors of a small company without seeing the big picture of the good they do. You can do the same with any small company, regardless of the business they are in.

Last edited:
Back