Good grief! Astrologer suing NASA over Deep Impact

"The impact changed the magnetic properties of the comet, and this could have affected mobile telephony here on Earth. If your phone went down this morning, ask yourself Why? and then get in touch with us," says Mr Molokhov.

Proof positive that that end of the gene pool is a little shallow. Good grief! :dunno:

Fortunately, the Russian courts have no jurisdiction over NASA.

Pretty pathetic publicity/I want money stunt, tho.

What a crockup!

I want to see a copy of this fruitcakes ephemeris tables and orbital elements projected to Earth impact based on real proven orbital mechanics data. Please include all magnetic readings from the comet surface as well since that's apparently an issue to said fruitcake and how that will affect anything. Hand'em over so we can break out the books and computers...

"This impact could have altered the orbit of the comet, so now there is a chance that the Tempel may well destroy the Earth some day!"

Lets for a moment assume a hit, which isn't going to happen, but for arguments sake lets say it does: Anyone want to run the kinetic energy numbers of a 3x9 mile rock banging into the Earth? Hint: Earth big, rock small. It would wreck the neighborhood for a while, but destroy the Earth? I haven't run the numbers but not going to happen. We've been hit by big things before and we're still here.

"An amateur astrologist, she believes that any variation in the orbit or the composition of the Tempel comet will certainly affect her own fate."

$1000 sucker bet says she didn't know the thing existed until it was put on the evening news. The only way it will affect her is if it hits her...I'll give the hit about 40 billion years to happen... Sun is due to torch her way before then. Maybe she should sue God for creating a defective sun...

http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/science/tempel1.html
http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/science/tempel1-orbitalhist.html

"The collision with comet 9P/Tempel 1 takes place near the comet's perihelion point and at a relative velocity of 10.2 km/s. The 370 kg impactor will impart a very modest 0.0001 mm/s velocity change in the comet's orbital motion and by so doing decrease the comet's perihelion distance by 10 meters and decrease its orbital period by far less than a second of time. This is to be compared to a change of some 378 billion meters in the comet's perihelion distance due to the passage by Jupiter in 2024. Because the comet is so much larger and more massive than the impactor, there will be practically no change in the comet's orbital motion as a result of the Deep Impact collision. As is evident from the above Table, the changes imparted in the motion of comet Tempel 1 by Deep Impact are completely negligible when compared to the orbital changes on the comet due to periodic passages near the giant planet Jupiter."

Hmmm. 0.0001 mm/s (that's millimeters per second boys and girls) velocity change and 10m orbit change on a 1.5-2 AU perihelion orbit.

Looks like a complete miss to me and it's not even an Earth crosser.

Astrologist...didn't those go out of business at the end of the Dark Ages? Gene pool need evolution put back into the equation...

Summary: Fruitcake.

P.S. I forgot which site I dug up this orbital graphic but it was one of the bazillion nasa/jpl links I looked at while all this was going on.

Last edited:
Frank Browne said:
Here's a neat little study of orbital mechanics.

WARNING: Can be habit forming.

That's fun. I hate you. ;) I have to leave for work in 10 minutes. I'm going to be late...

Opposite direction orbits of the moon can be quite stable. I have 5 that just won't stop.

I thought a few of you would be entertained by such...uhmm, a ludicrous news article!

And Joe--yeah--would be nice to get a piece of suing people over comets, selling grilled cheese sandwiches with divine images, haunted grandpa slippers, advertising space on one's forehead, and the the list goes on. And here all I thought I had was valuable was my collection of Rick Brant books...

Go figure.

terry

If she's an astrologer, and NASA has endangered the earth, why didn't the stars tell her ahead of time so she could stop it?

If the earth is really endangered now, we should sue HER!

Greebo said:
If she's an astrologer, and NASA has endangered the earth, why didn't the stars tell her ahead of time so she could stop it?

If the earth is really endangered now, we should sue HER!
HEY! Grat idea! Any lawyers in the house, or did we kill them all? (Kidding, but couldn't resist)

Let's do it. We can make CNN and BBC and get some publicity for PoA at the same time.

terry

Back