good glider flight, more to come

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
i need a 50 km cross country and a 1000 meter height gain, documented, so i can fly the contest at the end of the month. of course ive done both of these, multiple times, but the paperwork has always fallen through. we managed to get a towpilot arranged for today, but as the morning progressed i worried that the forecast conditions would not come true. high cirrus was masking the sun and shutting down all convection. all was not to be lost though as about 1 PM the bugs and sparrows were gone and we could see the faintest wisp of cumulus clouds on the horizon. i helped get another club member launched and then readied my own ship. up up and away i went. off tow i was down to 1400 AGL and quite worried when i got a decent thermal off of the Ames Power Plant. once to 4500 I was able to use other club members thermals to boost up to 6000 msl. from here i alerted my crew that i would be departing, heading for Grinnel Regional, KGGI. I knew that this would satisfy the distance requirement, and I did have a CFII student at 6 PM who demanded my attention so I couldnt get too far from home. After departingt he airport area i found good lift in the 5-700 fpm range and easily flew to Grinnel, rarely gettin below 5000 feet. a nice landing 2 hours after takeoff and I was happy to have gotten the silver distance and altitude legs done. Then I did it, I looked at the barograph trace, and it was messed up :( Seems that the way the paper was mounted to the drum stopped it from turning midway through the flight. so once again I had completed a silver flight without the documentation to show it. augh. the good news is that I now have 3 club members barographs in my possesion and Im taking all of them with me tomorrow. I think Ill head north and see how far I can go. No plans for the evening. just gotta find a towpilot...

Attachments

• Img_0033.jpg
    Img_0033.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
1400 AGL .. Nice Save! Too bad about the graphs... although just an easy excuse to go fly again :)

1400 AGL .. Nice Save! Too bad about the graphs... although just an easy excuse to go fly again :)

yea it sure is, but dang i got enough stuff on my plate this week. im not complaining though. 1400 AGL is a pretty standard save around here. with the flatlands of the midwest, landing anywhere this time of the year is pretty easy. on my 5 hr duration i thermalled out from 1200 AGL off of a prarie fire, and that was far away from the airport too. that was a little more nerve racking than this one :)

yea it sure is, but dang i got enough stuff on my plate this week. im not complaining though. 1400 AGL is a pretty standard save around here. with the flatlands of the midwest, landing anywhere this time of the year is pretty easy. on my 5 hr duration i thermalled out from 1200 AGL off of a prarie fire, and that was far away from the airport too. that was a little more nerve racking than this one :)

How much did you say a solid state recording barometer costs? Does anyone ever sell them used?

gps dataloggers seem to be in the 6-800 range, at the low end. even used :(

cant find a towpilot so far today. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

id be more worried about a stray cinder lighting ME on fire!

looks like today is a washout. no tow pilot. ill be tormented by amazing soaring conditions as I go retrieve a TR182 this afternoon. ugh. maybe tomorrow...

id be more worried about a stray cinder lighting ME on fire!

looks like today is a washout. no tow pilot. ill be tormented by amazing soaring conditions as I go retrieve a TR182 this afternoon. ugh. maybe tomorrow...

Tsk tsk tsk.. I was sitting at work bored out of my mind today. All you gotta do is sign my log book, and I can tow (almost) any time you want! ;) Ha.. I guess it would be a good idea to find a tailwheel for us to fly around the patch a few times. :D

yea chris, maybe you'll have to come over to green castle this summer and we can fly around the citabria a little...

Back