Good Flight Schools in Augusta, GA?

USAFTA

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
USAFTA
Hi all. Brand new to the forum. I live in the Augusta, Georgia area and am looking to get my PPL. Can anyone recommend a good, local school? Thanks.

If no one from your area chimes in - you can try

www.airnav.com and do an airport search and enter in the identifiers of your local airports. You can find them on a chart, www.vfrmap.com will get you started

For example, Daniel field is (DNL) so search "DNL" on airnav.

call around to the schools at airports around you and ask about flight training and what they charge. then go check them out.

a lot of flight training is not done through a school but through an FBO that rents airplanes and has independent instructors. If an FBO lists flight training as one of their services then give them a call too.

can you provide any more info on your experience level, (been flying with a friend before?) what kind of airplanes you would like to fly?

Last edited:
I appreciate the quick response!

I have a few hours in the DA-20, but that was about 3.5 years ago. I'll be using military tuition assistance, so I'd have to make sure the school has a relationship with the DOD already and can accept tuition assistance.

If possible, I'd like to fly newer airplanes like the DA-40.

I appreciate the quick response!

I have a few hours in the DA-20, but that was about 3.5 years ago. I'll be using military tuition assistance, so I'd have to make sure the school has a relationship with the DOD already and can accept tuition assistance.

If possible, I'd like to fly newer airplanes like the DA-40.

Sounds good. You might try searching online.. maybe there is a list out there of flight schools that accept veterans benefits .. or just call around and ask the local places.

Good luck! DA-20's are good trainers. I'd just fly whatever is local and fits your budget / works with your tuition assistance program. Get the newer aircraft if you can but no reason to rule out a school that has a bit older fleet (well maintained of course) for your primary training. The most important thing is that you get a good instructor.

I know you can get flight instruction at KDNL Daniel Field. I think there are instructors at Thompson and Aiken too. If you would like to hang out with some other pilots you might like to visit the Experimental Aircraft chapter 172. Here is a link. We meet on the second Saturday for lunch at the "Pea Patch". The directions and information is on the website.

http://www.jcmservices.net/eaa172b.htm

You will have to do your training at a school that operates under a Part 141 Certificate to use your military tuition assistance.

Back