Good Eye Bad Eye

U

Unregistered

I have one eye with perfect vision, the other with horrible vision. I have a perscription for the one eye, but it doesn't help since i really don't use that eye. I've had this condition my whole life. Even corrected i don't think it is quite 70.

I somehow managed to pass the medical with a corrective lense restriction, although I'm about 99% sure I will not pass the next one.

At the time, I did not know (nor did that dr. apparently) you could jump through a few extra hoops to get ok'ed to fly with one eye blind.

At this point my concern is that if something should happen while flying and I do not have my corrective lense in, I will be held liable for all damage and injury.

Should I go get another medical that acknowledges near blindness in that eye which does not have a lense restriction on it?

Unregistered said:
I have one eye with perfect vision, the other with horrible vision. I have a perscription for the one eye, but it doesn't help since i really don't use that eye. I've had this condition my whole life. Even corrected i don't think it is quite 70.

I somehow managed to pass the medical with a corrective lense restriction, although I'm about 99% sure I will not pass the next one.

At the time, I did not know (nor did that dr. apparently) you could jump through a few extra hoops to get ok'ed to fly with one eye blind.

At this point my concern is that if something should happen while flying and I do not have my corrective lense in, I will be held liable for all damage and injury.

Should I go get another medical that acknowledges near blindness in that eye which does not have a lense restriction on it?
When you get to 20/200 corrected, FAA will require you to do a monovision medical checkride with a FSDO inspector. Some pilots are required to have a spare pair-but if your other one is perfect, that's unlikely.

BTW, I know an airline captain with only one functioning eye, and I also fly the CJ with an excellent pilot who only has one as well. He had to tell me, I never would have known otherwise.

my perscription will correct me better than 200, however the perscription is too big for glasses.

bruce, when you say 'spare pair', i'm assuming you mean another set of eyes. does that mean it has to be another pilot?

could i opt to do a monovision checkride to get the lense restriction removed? or do i go re-apply for another cert and make sure they understand the situation.

after so many years, your brain sorta shuts out the bad eye, so correction isn't much help except for therapy to make the brain know that eye is still alive so the muscles keep it aligned.

i suppose i could just always make sure i wear a contact, but i would like to avoid any situation where i forget to put the contact in ( since i don't need it and therefore don't always think of it ) and had some accident. i'd be financially ruined if the insurance company found that as a reason not to pay up.

Unregistered said:
my perscription will correct me better than 200, however the perscription is too big for glasses.

bruce, when you say 'spare pair', i'm assuming you mean another set of eyes. does that mean it has to be another pilot?
Spare pair means another pair of glasses.
could i opt to do a monovision checkride to get the lense restriction removed? or do i go re-apply for another cert and make sure they understand the situation.
Yes
after so many years, your brain sorta shuts out the bad eye, so correction isn't much help except for therapy to make the brain know that eye is still alive so the muscles keep it aligned.

i suppose i could just always make sure i wear a contact, but i would like to avoid any situation where i forget to put the contact in ( since i don't need it and therefore don't always think of it ) and had some accident. i'd be financially ruined if the insurance company found that as a reason not to pay up.
May be better to ask for the ride. That or be certain you've got a contact in your bird, with some solution all sealed up....
:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back