Good deals on O2 systems?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Hey folks..

Looks like I'll be flying the RV to Vegas in March. I can cut the trip down substantially if I have supplemental O2 in the plane (only planning on going up to 13k or so on this trip). I've looked at www.aviationoxygen.com and they have the Aerox 2-Place 'D' complete system for $456 - or we can bump up to the 'M' for nearly double capacity for not double price ($490).

I've also looked through Dr. Bruce's "DIY O2 System" write-up and I'll be calling locally to see if I can get aluminum O2 tanks easily, so that is still an option. The regulator is definitely the $$$ piece of the system - Aerox 2-Place $194. We have a pulse oximeter already, so that's one big piece of the puzzle out of the way.

So I was wondering if anyone has stumbled across any 'deals' on O2 systems recently?

Thanks for any info...

I really like my H2D2 system from Mtn. High, but it is more expensive than those above.

Scott

I've looked at the Mtn. High systems but, as you say, they are quite a bit more expensive than Aerox, Sky Ox, etc. Their claim is that their hi-tech system saves on O2 wasted, but since we won't be using it as much, the extra cost doesn't make much sense.

Chris, ask a doctor friend if he can get a medical oxygen supplier to get you an aluminum tank at an "inside rate". I did my DIY for less than half of the Chief lists, and I have 29 cubic feet in the system.

Chris, ask a doctor friend if he can get a medical oxygen supplier to get you an aluminum tank at an "inside rate". I did my DIY for less than half of the Chief lists, and I have 29 cubic feet in the system.

That's more or less what I did. Got a doc friend to write me a rx for O2 which I took to our local welding gas supplier and was then able to purchase an aluminum tank with medical regulator and flow control. Just use it with a nasal canula and it works great. I have 2 E cylinders which I trade off when one is empty I just swap it out at the welding supplier. The tanks and regulator were used and the whole rig was less than $100.

So Bruce, any chance you could get a medical oxygen supplier to get me about a 6 cubic foot aluminum bottle at an inside rate? From what I've read, thats sufficient for me in the glider for 3-5 hours below 18k. ;)

I read through your "DIY O2 System" sticky. We talked about all the options and actually priced the different parts (don't have an 'inside-scoop' on the med stuff) and we ended up deciding to go with a complete system this time. Maybe next time when we have a little more knowledge of how a system *should* work, we'll go with a DIY system ourselves.

We'll get to try out the Aerox system tomorrow enroute to Vegas! :D

Welding oxygen works great too. It's just as pure as the medical O2 these days.

Welding oxygen works great too. It's just as pure as the medical O2 these days.

That's one good thing about this deal -- I have easy access to welder's O2, just not med equipment. So the up front cost will be higher, but the refills will be nice and cheap. ;)

Chris, How is the Aerox system working for you?

We went with the Aerox 2D system from Chief Aircraft.

So far, I've only used it on our trip to Las Vegas in March. Overall, I liked it. The canulas were a bit cumbersome, but after talking to experienced high(er) altitude flyers, I think I had it on too tight, which accounted for some of the discomfort.

With the 'D' bottle (13 cu ft), my wife and I both had enough flow for 2+ hrs at 16,500' on the way out and another 2+ hrs at 13,000' on the way back. If I remember correctly, the gauge says we still have over 1/2 tank available. I haven't done the math in quite a while, but if I remember correctly, the 'D' sized tank was expected to give about 7hrs of two-place flight time at 15,000'. (ball park estimate - check Aerox site for exact numbers).

It was very easy to read the flow with the 'in-line' flow gages on both cannulas (a floating ball in a tube). I would set it at the recommended flow rate, and usually pull it back a little while monitoring O2 SAT. The only thing I didn't like was that the needle valves to adjust the flow were mounted on the regulator, so it was a bit of a twist-and-turn battle to get my fingers on the bottle when mounted behind the seats. Also, the needle valves themselves are small screw heads, so precise adjustment was a little tricky. I suppose a trip to a Med supply store could fix things up with some better in-line valves.

It came with its own bottle mounting bracket - much like a fire extinguisher mounting bracket, which is now removed until we plan for another high-alt trip. The aluminum bottle itself is amazingly lightweight for its appearance.

Other than that, I don't really know what to say. I haven't tried the mask out yet. Hopefully this spring I can use it and take the RV to the FL's just to say I did it. :) The cannulas aren't the most comfortable things in the world, but they might get a little more flexible after some more use.

Overall, I think it was a great buy. On the way back from SAF, we were at 13,000' with an average 195kt GS burning 7.4GPH!! I left my O2 off while climbing to 13k. After about 1/2 hr, I noticed I was having to focus on the radios a bit more than normal to tune the right freq, etc. I checked my O2 sat, and it was down around 83%, so I put the O2 back on, and within 15 mins, I was back up over 90%.

Hopefully I gave some info you were looking for. If you have more detailed questions, let me know - I can at least make something up. ;)

Attachments

• HPIM1456.JPG
    HPIM1456.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 17
I ended up buying a 3 yr old SK 12-24 4-Place Sky Ox system on eBay. The seller said it has only been used 5 times and I feel I paid a fair price of $415.

Chris - Thanks for all your info

I ended up buying a 3 yr old SK 12-24 4-Place Sky Ox system on eBay. The seller said it has only been used 5 times and I feel I paid a fair price of $415.

Chris - Thanks for all your info

Glad you found something to meet your needs at a pretty good price! Did you use it on your trip out west? If so, what do you think of it so far? I would like to use it on our trip to Charleston, SC this March, but my wife is so burnt out on it from the Vegas trip, I don't know if I'll ever get her talked into using it again. It's nice to get up there where you can get those 30+kt tailwinds and sip the fuel!

Back