Good Deal on Barnstormers

Goofy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Goofy
http://www.barnstormers.com/ad_deta...=/Experimental,%20Velocity%20Classifieds.html

VELOCITY ELITE RG KIT - DEAL! • $27,500 • BEST DEAL EVER! • Velocity Elite RG Kit(Like having a free fastbuild kit). Four seat, Elite, RG. Approx. 60% complete. All work checked and documented by Velocity factory inspector as "very well done". Includes all building logs and pictures. Selling due to no time anymore. Kit includes all parts, etc. Also includes flight instr purchased new (Airspeed, DG, VSI, etc) as well as new velo toe brakes. Steal at this price $27,500. RG Kit with no work done sells for $44,000. Kit has always been in the garage or house. Specs. Include 1,000 useful load, 180 ktas cruise and 1,000NM range and can be IFR Cert. • Contact Kevin Baker, Owner - located Dallas, TX USA • Telephone: 469-464-5771 • Posted February 14, 2012

The crazy thing about kits is I think you decrease their value by working on them.

I'd be worried that at 60% complete the buyer could not qualify for the 51% build rule allowing him to do his own maintenance/repairman.

I'd be worried that at 60% complete the buyer could not qualify for the 51% build rule allowing him to do his own maintenance/repairman.

The 51% rule is a registration issue, not a repairman's certificate issue. If you admit that >49% of the work wasn't done by amateurs, technically, you can't get the airplane registered as an Experimental/Amateur built.

As far as the repairman's certificate, they issue one per airplane. If you participated in the airplane's construction, you're qualified to be the one.

The 51% rule is a registration issue, not a repairman's certificate issue. If you admit that >49% of the work wasn't done by amateurs, technically, you can't get the airplane registered as an Experimental/Amateur built.

What does it become then?

I think 60% done would mean 79.6% done since I believe most kits are delivered at 49% complete before you get the box open. i.e. 60% of the remaining 51% is done.

What does it become then?

From a legal perspective, you might be able to register it as experimental R&D or some other classification that pretty much takes away any utility from the aircraft.

Alternately, it becomes yard art.

This is why people lie when they go to register pro-built aircraft. No sense in having a $100k airplane that you can't take on a cross country flight and can't use for carrying passengers.

From a legal perspective, you might be able to register it as experimental R&D or some other classification that pretty much takes away any utility from the aircraft.

Alternately, it becomes yard art.

This is why people lie when they go to register pro-built aircraft. No sense in having a $100k airplane that you can't take on a cross country flight and can't use for carrying passengers.

Any kit that was bought partly finished, can be registered as a Experimental Amateur built. the only thing the FAA/DAR wants to know is that it was built by some one who isn't a professional. Builder assistance centers are alive and doing well because as long as the builder is an active part in the supervision of the build it is legal.

If I had the money I'd be tempted to buy that Defiant. One showed up to Adams do in Philly. The guy said he spent north of 12 thousand hours putting it together.

I can guarantee that you can't build that aircraft for $65k.

1 qt of primer cost me over $100 yesterday. a gallon of epoxy resin is well over $200 plus catalyst.

AS&S wants over 35k just for the metal parts for a Cozy.

price 2 engines and props, 2 engine mounts, radios, and gauges see if you can stay under $65k

and we won't even talk about the labor or time period to build.

Back