Good Day

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Flew with a student this morning. He's working on a BFR. Hasn't flown since 1978. We did a lot of ground last night and this morning. His first hour of flying in 28 yrs was really good! He learned to fly in a Champ and it shows. He coordinated well. Takeoffs and Landings were a little hairy but that is to be expected. Very good all around

Launched for KC in a Lance to drop off the owner. Easy trip down and back. Turbulence was light on the way down at 4000. The feeling was familiar, was it?, yes it was...THERMALS. smoothed out at about 5000. Some beautiful cumulus clouds were to be seen between Ames and Des Moines as late as 5:30. Saw a couple hawks circling over Sam's Clubs. Somber Note: Saw a flag draped coffin coming off a Falcon Jet at KC. Last plane ride for that guy. :(

Going flying with my IR student now. Hes got a checkride Saturday. Fun Fun!

I can imagine his thrill to have control of the yoke again. Mine was two months shy of nineteen years since my last flight. Twenty-two hours later and some ground work (a few things changed), I was taking the 709 ride.

I was amazed at how natural it felt to handle the plane after so long away. I had done it in my mind many times through reading, etc. But, it came back to me a lot easier than I was expecting. Six months later, I was working on my IR. Another six months after that ride, I had my CP.

Saturday, I'll be flying with Brandon on a long XC to St. Louis while he practices under the hood. We'll file under my ticket so with any luck we can get a bit of actual for him.

Sunday, I'm taking the dive. Literally. I'm starting some spin training but stretching it to upset recovery training and some aerobatics to better handle unusual attitudes. This will be a new experience and I'm looking forward to it.

It's nice to know I'm far from the only pilot to return to this passion after so many years away. At least I'm more consistently calling it "Class B" than a TCA. :)

Sounds like a great day Tony!
But with those clouds I am betting you wanted to be in the glider!

How long have you been a CFI Tony?

Do any of your students keep in touch or tell you about their future progress?
Did you always want to teach?

Do any of your students keep in touch or tell you about their future progress?
Did you always want to teach?

yea I try to keep in touch with them as they progress. Some of course kinda drop off the face of the planet.

Always want to teach? No not really, but once I got the CFI ticket I decided I better do a good job at it and then found that "hey I kinda like this!" I find that soloing students and having them pass checkrides is a very rewarding feeling. Speaking of, had a guy get his Instrument rating yesterday! :yes:

Hey congrats on another student passed!

I always like hearing about why CFI's are CFI's!
I was lucky and my CFI learned to fly beacuse he knew he wanted to teach.

yea at the time I got my CFI I think I was still on this kick of thinking I wanted to be an airline pilot. I seriously don't know what I was thinking. Soon after I (my parents) decided I should go to school and get a 4 year degree in engineering, so I chose Aerospace. Then I discovered that teaching was fun and rewarding and it was not just a way to build time.

Back