Good, but. . . .

When you level out in the flare you go sideways then as soon as you tagged, you relaxed and the plane was on the runway.

The GPS portrayal gives a pretty good clue as to what's happenning, but if you shot video it would be better.

My landings were right wheel, left wheel, nose wheel, and as soon as the nose wheel hit, turn the yoke all the way to the right.

Again, the GPS sucks where I had it.

I was weather vaned into the wind right up until I flared. Then I used left rudder to straighten the plane, and right aileron to keep the wing down, and adjust for the wind pushing me sideways.

At least that's what I was attempting to do the entire time. But being it was I think my second landing ever in those conditions, I sucked at it.

However not nearly as bad as that GPS says I did. Only posted it to show the angle of approach. Not because it represented the fidelity required to demonstrate the landing.

Henning, it was a GPS derived video generated from Google Earth. You can't look at it and get things like correction angles and crabbing vs. slipping. It wasn't a video camera. Back off a little bit.

My landings were right wheel, left wheel, nose wheel, and as soon as the nose wheel hit, turn the yoke all the way to the right.

Again, the GPS sucks where I had it.

I was weather vaned into the wind right up until I flared. Then I used left rudder to straighten the plane, and right aileron to keep the wing down, and adjust for the wind pushing me sideways.

At least that's what I was attempting to do the entire time. But being it was I think my second landing ever in those conditions, I sucked at it.

However not nearly as bad as that GPS says I did. Only posted it to show the angle of approach. Not because it represented the fidelity required to demonstrate the landing.

??? Did you have a right or left crosswind?

I was landing on 25, and the wind was 7 knots with gusts to 18 knots, coming from 32.

The normal runway that day was 36, but being I could not solo with the wind, we worked on cross wind landings.

Actually, this leads me to a question. This was done at KLEB yesterday at 19:30 Zulu time.

Where can I look up the weather?

You can get up to 36 hours in the past at http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/

Thanks!

Interesting that it does not show gusts...

METAR text: KLEB 291953Z 32007KT 10SM FEW065 24/08 A2993 RMK AO2 SLP130 T02440078
Conditions at: KLEB (LEBANON , NH, US) observed 1953 UTC 29 August 2012
Temperature: 24.4°C (76°F)
Dewpoint: 7.8°C (46°F) [RH = 35%]
Pressure (altimeter): 29.93 inches Hg (1013.6 mb)
[Sea-level pressure: 1013.0 mb]
Winds: from the NW (320 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 knots; 3.6 m/s)
Visibility: 10 or more miles (16+ km)
Ceiling: at least 12,000 feet AGL
Clouds: few clouds at 6500 feet AGL
Weather: no significant weather observed at this time

Thanks!

Interesting that it does not show gusts...

METAR text: KLEB 291953Z 32007KT 10SM FEW065 24/08 A2993 RMK AO2 SLP130 T02440078
Conditions at: KLEB (LEBANON , NH, US) observed 1953 UTC 29 August 2012
Temperature: 24.4°C (76°F)
Dewpoint: 7.8°C (46°F) [RH = 35%]
Pressure (altimeter): 29.93 inches Hg (1013.6 mb)
[Sea-level pressure: 1013.0 mb]
Winds: from the NW (320 degrees) at 8 MPH (7 knots; 3.6 m/s)
Visibility: 10 or more miles (16+ km)
Ceiling: at least 12,000 feet AGL
Clouds: few clouds at 6500 feet AGL
Weather: no significant weather observed at this time

Yeah but aren't metars once an hour? You were probably monitoring AWOS which updates every minute or so.

Yeah but aren't metars once an hour? You were probably monitoring AWOS which updates every minute or so.

forgive me if what I say is a "duh, that's how it's done everywhere" kind of thing :)

Before I call the tower, I tune the radio to ATIS, and listen to the report. At the end and beginning of the recording they give me a letter I have to report to ground control when I request Taxi.

That report is updated once an hour. However when I call and request touch and go or full stop durring my downwind leg, he gives me the ok, and reports back the weather. This report constantly changes. So my guess is what he is reading back is either AWOS, or from a local weather station at the tower.

forgive me if what I say is a "duh, that's how it's done everywhere" kind of thing :)

Before I call the tower, I tune the radio to ATIS, and listen to the report. At the end and beginning of the recording they give me a letter I have to report to ground control when I request Taxi.

That report is updated once an hour. However when I call and request touch and go or full stop durring my downwind leg, he gives me the ok, and reports back the weather. This report constantly changes. So my guess is what he is reading back is either AWOS, or from a local weather station at the tower.

Sorry my airport I don't have ATIS.

And I only showed you one of my landings. One was really bad, and it was because I was WAY overcorrecting the airplane.

I am a lot of things. Timid is not one of them. Completely green and just learning what I am doing? Yes. Timid? No.

Henning believes you should solo at 6 hrs and have exactly 41.5 after successfully completing the PPL. You're early in training and are expected not to have perfection yet....however, that said don't settle for turd landings and keep analyzing them.

Here's a video my buddy shot, it's a bit long but at the end is a crosswind landing in the same conditions you were experiencing.

I hate these videos where the camera man is looking all over the place. Wish you had a better example. Understand the 360 and 747 pattern due to Cirrus traffic. If 'Henning' were evaluating his own video he'd say the throttle boost and withdrawal on short final makes the pilot look like a throttle jockey or that the pilot is too pre-occupied with the ASI rather than using the tach, or that the glide path didn't require it, or that maybe he was dragging it in so hard that that boost was necessary.

Last edited:

There is also possibly another frequency that is a continuously updated automatic voice reporting of the automated weather observation system. What the tower guy is reading you is what is on his display at that moment. Take a tour of your tower, it'll be worth your while for them to put a face to your voice. They start to take care of you better.

Last edited:
Take a tour of your tower, it'll be worth your while for them to put a face to your voice. They start to take care of you better.

I know then all, because they come hang out with my CFI when not on duty. I should go up in the tower however, as it would be nice to see what they see.

I know then all, because they come hang out with my CFI when not on duty. I should go up in the tower however, as it would be nice to see what they see.

Yep, when you get a license invite them flying and do them the same favor, they need to understand what we see, especially if we are flying into a sunset.

Back