Good book for student pilot

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Have just ordered Far/Aim, as well as the PHAK, but what is a good smaller book one could read while flying on a passenger jet to learn while in coach? Don’t really wanna have a huge book in hand such as the Far. Just want some private pilot material to study while on the plane to give me something to do.

The PHAK is an enchanting thing to read for the first time. I remember poring over it during when I was pre-solo. Hard to think of a better document written by the government (and available for free, no less!).

As you’re reading the FAR AIM I’d recommend having some stickies handy to mark it up. I guess it could help during the exam but also physically organizing the book is a great memory aid.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 14
Does anyone make a pocket mini spiral note book that has the pre flight for a 152/150/172? As well as the common emergency procedures? If no pocket sized, where would the best place to be able to find current correct pre flight and emergency procedures I could print and make my own 3 ring binder for studying? Any specific website I should use ?

Does anyone make a pocket mini spiral note book that has the pre flight for a 152/150/172? As well as the common emergency procedures? If no pocket sized, where would the best place to be able to find current correct pre flight and emergency procedures I could print and make my own 3 ring binder for studying? Any specific website I should use ?

Not a notebook but I have a CheckMate that I quite like (for my Arrow): https://www.checkmateaviation.com/cessna-152.html

99% of the time I use Foreflight with custom checklists that have all the unnecessary stuff removed, but it's nice to have a physical backup in the plane. Having a nice checklist during your walkaround may also help make a good impression on the DPE but YMMV.

I use audible and love it especially when i'm biking or traveling. I have The Killing Zone and Jason Shappert's private pilot book on it.

Airplane flying handbook its free and on the faa website. I get it on my foreflight subscription.

Not sure if its what you're looking for but I run a website called FlightChecklists dot com which is used for designing custom aviation checklists. I would be cautious about buying a checklist made by someone else unless you vet the procedures beforehand to make sure its exactly what you're looking for. Personally I would look through your POH and take those items at a minimum and add in any extras you need to your own custom checklist.

I use audible and love it especially when i'm biking or traveling. I have The Killing Zone and Jason Shappert's private pilot book on it.
Get Shappert’s audio book and listen to it over and over.

Have just ordered Far/Aim, as well as the PHAK, but what is a good smaller book one could read while flying on a passenger jet to learn while in coach? Don’t really wanna have a huge book in hand such as the Far. Just want some private pilot material to study while on the plane to give me something to do.
Performance Pilot. It has something for every level of pilot: ab.inito to seasoned professional.

Back