Good Aviation Weather Books?

giaviv

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
giaviv
Hey folks,

I am studying for my instrument rating (and ultimately want to become an instructor) and therefore would like to get a profound understanding of the weather from an aviation perspective (if possible, a book that explains charts reading and use of other aviation weather services as well).

What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!

thank you, but i am looking for books. any recommendations?

Aviation weather for pilots is one of the books I used. Its kind of dry, but will give you a solid understanding of weather and the atmosphere

Have a similar goal and reading requirement. Suggested to me to pick up a copy of Robert Buck's "Weather Flying" (link to amazon.com listing). Have only just started it, but I like the way the information is presented.

I went to Scott D's seminar, and am a subscriber at his excellent site (and you should be too, if you want to increase your knowledge... he puts out lots of little tidbits on a regular basis that are true gems).

After attending his seminar, I purchased both the "Weather Forecasting Handbook" by Tim Vasquez and "Meterology Today - An Introduction to Weather, Climate and the Environment - SIXTH EDITION" by C. Donald Ahrens -- a college class textbook.

Both are EXCELLENT reads for getting a better understanding of what drives the weather and the reports you see as you prepare for flights! They're not cheap, but definitely fall into the "you get what you pay for" category.

Last edited:
I went to Scott D's seminar, and am a subscriber at his excellent site (and you should be too, if you want to increase your knowledge... he puts out lots of little tidbits on a regular basis that are true gems).

After attending his seminar, I purchased both the "Weather Forecasting Handbook" by Tim Vasquez and "Meterology Today - An Introduction to Weather, Climate and the Environment - SIXTH EDITION" by C. Donald Ahrens -- a college class textbook.

Both are EXCELLENT reads for getting a better understanding of what drives the weather and the reports you see as you prepare for flights! They're not cheap, but definitely fall into the "you get what you pay for" category.

Typically the previous edition of purd near any textbook will go for a lot less since it isn't in demand at a text.

I have "Flying America's Weather," by Tom Horne, and "Flying the Weather Map," by Richard L. Collins, in addition to those recommended. I also subscribe to Scott Dennstaedt's weather forum.

Bob Gardner

Back