Good artical on the Comanchee

So they did steal the design from Al Mooney! Told ya Pete. :)

My A&P/IA restored a Comanche 180. It is beautiful. I keep hearing stories about parts availibility and insurability. I don't know if they are real or just an excuse for the insurance company to charge more.

There are at least half a dozen very active Twin Comanches based at my home airport, plus a good 3-4 singles. No parts availability problems. And I've never had any since I've owned mine, either, and I've replaced a LOT of stuff.

Insurance is another issue, unfortunately.

gibbons said:
I'd like to have a Comanchee if I could find one in just the right color red.

Gee, Chip, they can match any shade of red that you want at the paint store. Why should that stop you? :)

Greg Bockelman said:
Gee, Chip, they can match any shade of red that you want at the paint store. Why should that stop you? :)
Well Greg, I went in to the paint store and asked for "Slut Red" and they told me that only very special people can get that specific shade of red... and I didn't qualify. If I only knew someone to ask.................

Yeah...hmm....not really sure its the same air foil, though I dont doubt it was inspired by the original m20. They're significantly slower than a mooney with the same horsepower and from what I understand they drop like a rock when you pull the power off.

Anthony said:
So they did steal the design from Al Mooney! Told ya Pete. :)

My A&P/IA restored a Comanche 180. It is beautiful. I keep hearing stories about parts availibility and insurability. I don't know if they are real or just an excuse for the insurance company to charge more.

gibbons said:
Well Greg, I went in to the paint store and asked for "Slut Red" and they told me that only very special people can get that specific shade of red... and I didn't qualify. If I only knew someone to ask.................

LOL. I forgot. I imagine that particular shade cannot be found just anywhere.

I've always had a thing for Comanches, first GA flight as a kid was in a neighbor's '59 250 (some guy in Missouri owns it now). After seeing carol T's, I am smitten. What a beautiful bird!

Re: Good artical on the Comanche

gibbons said:

Ask Rita at http://www.desapi.com/
She'll know :D

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I would love to have one myself. I see e-bay has one that is a turbo version.

sere said:
I would love to have one myself. I see e-bay has one that is a turbo version.

I've heard it said by those who own or who have owned them that the turbo in a Comanche isn't worth the extra expense. But ask someone who really knows, I am just relaying what I have heard.

FWIW, the databases show the engine in the airplane I fly as a TIO-540 but it's not. Just a regular IO-540.

Back