Gonna Get Some

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Had to cancel the past five flights due to . . . whatever.

But tomorrow, late afternoon, looks like I'll be getting some of my favorite type of aviating--night IMC. Can't wait to see how the infrared works in actual, at night!

I hope you have life insurance for your family. This sounds like a death wish.

Huh? Did you forget a smiley?

Most of my IR training with Jesse was at night... And a number of hours of that in actual.

Long XC was to Wichita for dinner with the resident glider fanatic and his lovely wife -- ha -- and that started out between layers for a little under an hour.

Airplane doesn't know it's dark. Airplane doesn't know if there are clouds. Airplane flies the same.

Wasn't convective, wasn't freezing, wasn't anything but smooth, and got to see how layers can create a horizon illusion, thus... Instruments. Stay on them.

The actual instrument flying wasn't any tougher than in the daytime. In fact, I find popping in and out on top in bright daylight far more distracting.

There was about 1/2 hour where we were on top of ground fog, which would have limited engine-out options, but they're already significantly limited at night.

I hope you have life insurance for your family. This sounds like a death wish.

If there is anyone who is more deliberate and thorough in planning and executing safety-of-flight than Ben, it would be hard to believe. My money's on safe flight and a great and descriptive (probably instructive) write-up after.

If there is anyone who is more deliberate and thorough in planning and executing safety-of-flight than Ben, it would be hard to believe. My money's on safe flight and a great and descriptive (probably instructive) write-up after.

Should be fun. I'm going up with my CFI-IA for currency, and I expect he will push me to my limits. Couldn't ask for a better flight!

Had to cancel the past five flights due to . . . whatever.

But tomorrow, late afternoon, looks like I'll be getting some of my favorite type of aviating--night IMC. Can't wait to see how the infrared works in actual, at night!
I must have missed a thread... what is this infrared you speak of?

Or there was some auto-correct-ish stuff going on and IR (Instrument Rating) got automagically changed to infrared.

Huh? Did you forget a smiley?

Most of my IR training with Jesse was at night... And a number of hours of that in actual.

Long XC was to Wichita for dinner with the resident glider fanatic and his lovely wife -- ha -- and that started out between layers for a little under an hour.

Airplane doesn't know it's dark. Airplane doesn't know if there are clouds. Airplane flies the same.

Wasn't convective, wasn't freezing, wasn't anything but smooth, and got to see how layers can create a horizon illusion, thus... Instruments. Stay on them.

The actual instrument flying wasn't any tougher than in the daytime. In fact, I find popping in and out on top in bright daylight far more distracting.

There was about 1/2 hour where we were on top of ground fog, which would have limited engine-out options, but they're already significantly limited at night.

I was with you on dark, but clouds brings ice to mind. Airframe and carb. I submit planes often do know they are in clouds.

:)

I must have missed a thread... what is this infrared you speak of?

The cirrus has a FLIR camera. Pretty sweet. You can see the hot brakes of aircraft that just landed... etc..

I was with you on dark, but clouds brings ice to mind. Airframe and carb. I submit planes often do know they are in clouds.

Also, depending on the cloud it can be quite bumpy.

No carb ice to worry about in an injected

The cirrus has a FLIR camera. Pretty sweet. You can see the hot brakes of aircraft that just landed... etc..
I had a feeling it was something like that. Sounds nice. How well can they see through clouds? Water vapor absorbs some (most?) wavelengths of IR, so I was wondering how effective they would be in IMC.

Heh. I know what you mean, but you knew what I meant too. ;)

Airplanes don't know they're taking the reverse high speed. ;) ;) ;)

Pilot must not ask airplane to do anything it can't or shouldn't. ;) ;) ;)

Night, clouds, no ice, no convection, plenty of gas, engine working properly...

Airplane can do that. :)

I had a feeling it was something like that. Sounds nice. How well can they see through clouds? Water vapor absorbs some (most?) wavelengths of IR, so I was wondering how effective they would be in IMC.

Very effective.

Writeup:

IMC was minimal, but did get some night. Flew one coupled RNAV-Z, hand-flew ILS twice, hand-flew VOR-A. I did very well on the approaches, but you need to know that it is hard NOT to do well with the Perspective (which is even better than the G1000). Put the green circle on the depiction of the runway, and monitor the HSI. Your scan requires very little eye movement.

Then got night current again with landings. I have always agreed that night landings are easier (as long as your landing light works). You have you, and the runway, and that's it. First two landings were good; third landing was a sweetie pie.

Writeup:
Then got night current again with landings. I have always agreed that night landings are easier (as long as your landing light works). You have you, and the runway, and that's it. First two landings were good; third landing was a sweetie pie.

Sounds like a good time.

For the night landings, I agree. During the day sometimes my crosswind landings aren't the best, but at night it always just seems to happen naturally. =)

Sounds like a good time.

For the night landings, I agree. During the day sometimes my crosswind landings aren't the best, but at night it always just seems to happen naturally. =)

That, and at night the winds are usually less strong than in the daytime (unless there is a weather system in the vicinity).

Sounds like a good time.

I love night flying. Don't do much of it, but I love seeing the lights of the cities, and the often smoother ride.

Back