Gonna get an iPad

If the guy told you you could not buy an iPad with cellular and gps without activating it, he lied. Sad deal.

My wife and I both have 3G iPads and neither required a plan. If and when we do choose to get cellular, I think it's about $25/month on a month-to-month basis. I think we've done that once each when going on a trip, and then canceled.
I had a month-to-month plan and canceled it. I went to re-activate it a few months later and was told that I would need a new SIM card. This made no sense to me, so I hung up and called again hoping to get a different customer service agent that would just re-activate my account. I got a different agent and was told the same thing: in order to start up a data plan again, I would have to go to an AT&T store and buy a new SIM card.

:mad2:

That's weird.

Can anyone else confirm?

I don't think that's right, but can't say for sure, since I'm not 100% sure either my wife or I has activated the same phone twice.

If the guy told you you could not buy an iPad with cellular and gps without activating it, he lied. Sad deal.

He absolutely LIED! I bought mine from the Apple store and the guy told be the one I bought didn't have to have 3G to use GPS, he was wrong and they swapped it for the cost difference of $100 or a couple weeks later.
AP take it back!! they should swap it and move the FF app over to the new one easy enough. :D

He absolutely LIED! I bought mine from the Apple store and the guy told be the one I bought didn't have to have 3G to use GPS, he was wrong and they swapped it for the cost difference of $100 or a couple weeks later.
AP take it back!! they should swap it and move the FF app over to the new one easy enough. :D
Yup - that salesman lied.

I bought mine from amazon.com. Didn't even think about activating the data plan until months after I bought it.

I bought mine and did not activate the 3G until last week, it's a Verizon capable since that is our regular cellular provider, I went to at Verizon store they swapped the SIM card and I was good to go in about 30 minutes. They had an issue with their computer system, I think it's about a 10 minute process, no charge for the SIM card and $10.00 per month extra on my already outrageous cell phone bill. :dunno:

I had a month-to-month plan and canceled it. I went to re-activate it a few months later and was told that I would need a new SIM card. This made no sense to me, so I hung up and called again hoping to get a different customer service agent that would just re-activate my account. I got a different agent and was told the same thing: in order to start up a data plan again, I would have to go to an AT&T store and buy a new SIM card.

:mad2:

I bought mine and did not activate the 3G until last week, it's a Verizon capable since that is our regular cellular provider, I went to at Verizon store they swapped the SIM card and I was good to go in about 30 minutes. They had an issue with their computer system, I think it's about a 10 minute process, no charge for the SIM card and $10.00 per month extra on my already outrageous cell phone bill. :dunno:
If you stop your data plan next month, and then in several months want to re-start it, they will ask you to come back to swap out the sim card again. This was extremely frustrating to me, because the entire reason why I wanted to re-activate my data plan was because I was on vacation somewhere in the empty areas of the southwest USA with miles and miles of no wifi but perfectly good cellphone reception - and no AT&T store within a days drive.

At least that is what happened to me. Your mileage may vary, but a quick google search indicated that this is the norm.

Last edited:
A few shopping tips.

You can save money buying a refurb iPad from the Apple Refurb Store. These are supported by Apple.

You can sell your old iPad at fair price to Gazelle.

Fltplan.com has free apps that provide charts and basic navigation for both iPad and Android.

I will probably replace my iPad before I disconnect the service, but they do make it complicated. I tried doing mine online, they said I must take it to a company owned store.
Verizon has two types of stores, company owned that are very service oriented, and "sales only" stores that are independently owned and operated, service not so good.:mad2:
In retrospect, I probably should have just used my phone as a mobile hot spot instead on activating the iPad, but whatever. :rolleyes:

If you stop your data plan next month, and then in several months want to re-start it, they will ask you to come back to swap out the sim card again. This was extremely frustrating to me, because the entire reason why I wanted to re-activate my data plan was because I was on vacation somewhere in the empty areas of the southwest USA with miles and miles of no wifi but perfectly good cellphone reception - and no AT&T store within a days drive.

At least that is what happened to me. Your mileage may vary, but a quick google search indicated that this is the norm.

I know she's already made her purchase decision, but for people reading who are tossing up between the Ipad and the mini, I have both (not intentionally, but it happened), have used both in the cockpit, and hands down, the mini is the way to go. I can't think of a single advantage the full size has over the mini.

I have the non-gps unit so it's literally just an EFB for me, it has no idea where I am. I use ForeFlight and I'm ecstatic with it. It's great for planning, saving favorite routes, loading and filing those routes, etc.

Case in point, I was briefing a 2600nm trip two weeks ago the night before the first leg. I planned all the legs in reasonable detail, filed plans for the first two legs and saved the rest as favorite routes. When it came time to fly those subsequent legs, I loaded them, briefed them and filed them with very little effort. FF is a fantastic platform.

I also frequently find myself using the extra info about the airports such as rentals cars, FBO's and restaurants...very handy for looking that up on the fly.

Let us know how you do with it!

For those of you with the mini - how old are you? I'm 54, and short distance focusing is an issue. Wondering how usable the mini is with older eyes.

...and hands down, the mini is the way to go. I can't think of a single advantage the full size has over the mini.

After a couple years with a Gen 1 iPad, I am almost certainly springing for a mini some time after Tuesday's announcements.

I use my wife's iPad 2 in the cockpit of my Sky Arrow - it provides more functionality, esp. the "Course Up" option, which I prefer. And it's faster, of course.

But I must admit the full sized is a bit large for the Sky Arrow - photo to follow.

So, mini it is, but...

On my iPad, I already "miss the target" a lot when typing and clicking. IOW, I'll click on a thread with my left thumb, and miss enough to bring up the poster's info instead. On another site, the "Read All" and "Sign Out" buttons are adjacent, and I've accidentally logged out a dozen times or so - frustrating.

Has anyone found this to be more of an issue on the mini? It would likely not dissuade me, but just curious.

As promised...

8543377536_61da288f59_c.jpg

I have a RAM suction cup stuck to the canopy, with a 3" arm supporting the back of the iPad. The bulk of the weight is supported on my left leg.

A smaller form factor might allow me room for my kneeboard, which I really need to have on my left leg - on my right in interferes with my sidestick.

For those of you with the mini - how old are you? I'm 54, and short distance focusing is an issue. Wondering how usable the mini is with older eyes.

I have to wear bifocals and I thought the mini would be a problem. But mounted on the yoke I have no problem reading it with my glasses.

I have to wear bifocals and I thought the mini would be a problem. But mounted on the yoke I have no problem reading it with my glasses.
Thanks! Would it be an issue in your lap?

On my iPad, I already "miss the target" a lot when typing and clicking. IOW, I'll click on a thread with my left thumb, and miss enough to bring up the poster's info instead. On another site, the "Read All" and "Sign Out" buttons are adjacent, and I've accidentally logged out a dozen times or so - frustrating.

Has anyone found this to be more of an issue on the mini? It would likely not dissuade me, but just curious.

I've had both(full size 2nd or 3rd gen ipad, can't remember which) and about 4 months ago bought a mini.

To answer your question, in my opinion, no it's not more of an issue. I hit the "wrong" thing about the same percentage on the mini as I did the full-size one:D

Thanks! Would it be an issue in your lap?

I have both a kneeboard (iPro Aviator/M) and a yoke mount (iPro Navigator). So, I've tried both for the mini. I do find the mini readable on my leg, but it's a bit of a battle. For me, kneeboard is fine for a full size iPad, but I'm a lot more comfortable with the mini on the yoke.

I have both a kneeboard (iPro Aviator/M) and a yoke mount (iPro Navigator). So, I've tried both for the mini. I do find the mini readable on my leg, but it's a bit of a battle. For me, kneeboard is fine for a full size iPad, but I'm a lot more comfortable with the mini on the yoke.
Thanks - that's exactly the info I was looking for.

More likely he just had no clue what the hell he was talking about. Take the average "kid", give them $8/hr and have them selling on their first day. That's Best Buy.

I flew with Foreflight on the iPad2 today for the first time. I found it very useful on the ground and in cruise, but felt much more comfortable with it stowed in the terminal area during approach and departure. My club's planes are equipped with Garmin GTN650's, so I don't have a need for moving map display on approach or departure. I found the digital A/FD and sectionals of Foreflight incredibly useful, especially since I didn't have a paper sectional for the northern segment of the trip. Overall I was very pleased. It's still a little clumsy for me but I'm sure that will improve with use. I use a Bad Elf GPS on the iPad and that worked fine.

I'm guessing we are in the same club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Reminder: Apple's iPad announcement is today at 10AM PDT (1PM) EDT.

May or may not be streamed - it was last October.

If it's not, most of the tech sites will provide coverage.

I have the bigger iPad with Retina display (iPad3). Really like it for general computer and web browsing.

Works great for aviation use, with exception of size. That limits the mounting locations. The iPad mini is a better fit for most GA cockpits. And for home use, the smaller screen doesn't appear to limit any of the functionality.

If you like FF for your EFB, then obtaining a Stratus II is worth a look. Feature set includes everything you would need from a device like that, including ADS-B, Wi-Fi connected GPS signal (permitting more than one device to connect and get the feed), and AHRS.

AHRS becomes of interest because you can turn your iPhone into an artificial horizon using the Stratus Horizon App (see screen shot below, and click the link for info)

The second attachment is how one of the reps for FF that was at the AOPA Summit has things arranged in his C177 Cardinal. You can see where he has the iPad, iPhone, and Stratus arranged.

Recommended capacity is at least the 32meg, though doubling that to 64 is not too much more money and you'll appreciate the extra elbow room in the long run..

Wi-Fi+Wireless is worth it to me since I use the iPad in lots of places other than the airplane. I've had the low end dataplan and for my running about the land, have never exceeded it.

Wow isn't that cockpit getting a bit cluttered? Or is that a typical attempt at modernizing an older cockpit?

More likely he just had no clue what the hell he was talking about. Take the average "kid", give them $8/hr and have them selling on their first day. That's Best Buy.

Agreed!!! Just recently I was shopping for wireless modem/router combos and some pimply faced kid was trying to sell me on one because he claimed it supported FIOS. Well needless to say right on the package of this item it stated "DOES NOT SUPPORT FIOS".

We just went to Best Buy and got a white 64-mb iPad mini without GPS or a plan. Guy suggested that BB would buy back the iPad for about $240 in a couple of months if we decide to trade up.

Will contact Sporty's to get started downloading plates.

Unless you are planning on using a Stratus or other external GPS receiver, you need the GPS version.

I forgot to mention that a Wifi/GPS version is ideal. It allows you to update at most any airport with wifi and the internal GPS receiver has worked flawlessly for me without the hassle of an external receiver of any kind.

And, FF Pro will show your location on the approach plate as you fly the approach. I will likely upgrade to Pro next time around.

You don't have to upgrade at expiration time. You can upgrade to Pro at anytime. They do a good job of managing the subscriptions.

I thought it was $4 plus commission, and a raffle drawing to make one lap around the parking lot after closing with the GeekSquad car? ;)

FWIW, here is what I learned about iPad data plans after doing extensive research.

Both Verizon and AT&T offer two methods of iPad data: pay-as-you-go and contract.

Contract iPad plans work just like cell phone contracts. You sign a x-month (usually 24 month) contract for data on your iPad, and you pay every month, use it or lose it... same as most cell phone plans.

Pay-as-you-go plans are exactly as stated: you pay a set fee for a set amount of data, which expires after 30 days. When you have used it all, or it has expired, you are free to buy another block/month of data, or not.

Benefits of the contract plans are that the price per MB/GB is better. You can also buy the iPad from your carrier of choice (instead of Apple or Best Buy) and generally get a discount. Drawback is that you are locked into a contract.

Benefit of the pay-as-you-go plan is obviously the flexibility, but you pay more for that flexibility. Pay-as-you-go (aka month-to-month) plans are pre-billed, and paid in advance via credit card. Contract plans are post-billed and arrive as a regular bill in the mail.

If your iPad is on a contract plan, you must call your carrier to make any changes to the plan. If your iPad is on a pay-as-you-go plan, you can activate the data directly through the "Settings" app on the iPad, choose how much data you want, and set up automatic re-billing (or not) as you wish. If you leave data off for a few months, you can just use the settings app to buy a new data "pack" whenever you want it. Once you select a data plan, you will have to cancel it before you a) run out of data or b) the month expires, or else it will automatically re-bill, however if you cancel one day after buying a data pack, you still get to use the data/time you have left.

Here's the catch: if your SIM card has ever been activated on a contract, and you want to switch to month-to-month, then you will need a new SIM. If your SIM has ever been on a month-to-month plan and you want to go to a contract, then you will need a new SIM. This is because neither carrier has the ability to move a SIM from one "type" to the other. However, once you have a month-to-month SIM, you can activate/deactivate as you wish, without ever speaking to, or seeing, a rep from your carrier again.

Best Buy and similar outfits like to sell them with a contract, because they get a significant kickback from the carrier, and I imagine a chunk of that goes back to the salesman as commission. However, it's totally technically possible to buy an iPad without buying a contract, and in fact, if you allow them to activate it under contract, you will have to replace the SIM (once) if you want to switch to month-to-month. It may be against a particular store/chain's policies to sell them without contract, and if they insist on only selling with a contract, simply go spend your money someplace more enlightened.

One other thing to consider, is that Verizon allows you to use the "hotspot" feature (share your 3G/LTE data with other devices via WiFi), even on month-to-month plans, at no additional charge. AT&T does not (to my knowledge) support hotspot on any but the most expensive month-to-month plan.

Edited to correct an error I made on automatic renewal, and to add hotspot information

I hope this helps anyone making these decisions.

Last edited:
FWIW, here is what I learned about iPad data plans after doing extensive research.

Both Verizon and AT&T offer two methods of iPad data: pay-as-you-go and contract.

Contract iPad plans work just like cell phone contracts. You sign a x-month (usually 24 month) contract for data on your iPad, and you pay every month, use it or lose it... same as most cell phone plans.

Pay-as-you-go plans are exactly as stated: you pay a set fee for a set amount of data, which expires after 30 days. When you have used it all, or it has expired, you are free to buy another block/month of data, or not.

Benefits of the contract plans are that the price per MB/GB is better. You can also buy the iPad from your carrier of choice (instead of Apple or Best Buy) and generally get a discount. Drawback is that you are locked into a contract.

Benefit of the pay-as-you-go plan is obviously the flexibility, but you pay more for that flexibility.

If your iPad is on a contract plan, you must call your carrier to make any changes to the plan. If your iPad is on a pay-as-you-go plan, you can activate the data directly through the "Settings" app on the iPad, choose how much data you want, and set up automatic re-billing (or not) as you wish. If you leave data off for a few months, you can just use the settings app to buy a new data "pack" whenever you want it.

Here's the catch: if your SIM card has ever been activated on a contract, and you want to switch to month-to-month, then you will need a new SIM. If your SIM has ever been on a month-to-month plan and you want to go to a contract, then you will need a new SIM. This is because neither carrier has the ability to move a SIM from one "type" to the other. However, once you have a month-to-month SIM, you can activate/deactivate as you wish, without ever speaking to, or seeing, a rep from your carrier again.

Best Buy and similar outfits like to sell them with a contract, because they get a significant kickback from the carrier, and I imagine a chunk of that goes back to the salesman as commission. However, it's totally technically possible to buy an iPad without buying a contract, and in fact, if you allow them to activate it under contract, you will have to replace the SIM (once) if you want to switch to month-to-month. It may be against a particular store/chain's policies to sell them without contract, and if they insist on only selling with a contract, simply go spend your money someplace more enlightened.

I hope this helps anyone making these decisions.
Awesome writeup. Copied/pasted/saved for when I need a reminder. Thank you VERY much for sharing the fruits of your labor.

VERY concise summary - thanks!

I was under the impression that the month-to-month data plans auto-renewed by default - at least once we ended up with a second month we really didn't need because we forgot to cancel in time.

Of note: when you do cancel, you still get your full month before it expires, so no penalty for canceling early.

VERY concise summary - thanks!

I was under the impression that the month-to-month data plans auto-renewed by default - at least once we ended up with a second month we really didn't need because we forgot to cancel in time.

Of note: when you do cancel, you still get your full month before it expires, so no penalty for canceling early.

That is true... At least on at&t.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have never bothered with a data plan for my IPad. I have Foreflight on both my IPhone AND IPad. My IPad is wifi + GPS. I download everything to the IPad via wifi. I update weather, file flight plans, etc at the terminal where there is almost always wifi.

If I ever am in a situation where I have to get data to the IPad with no wifi available, I will tether to my IPhone and get it via bluetooth. No need for a dataplan.

New iPads are here, including new retina Minis. Might want to take that one back to best buy while you still can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back