Gone Camping. Not Coming Back. Ever.

fgcason

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Frank Cason
This is completely trivial and unimportant to most people but it's kind of interesting in it's own way. I've been on this board since the beginning and the discussion has vaguely been bumped into on occasion here so quite a few of you know that I live in a motorhome and am known in the RV community as a Fulltimer.

I have not stayed overnight in a house, hotel, barn, hangar, dog house, bear cave, or anything other than my motorhome or a tent since day one when I moved into the motorhome at the end of October 2006. I have no physical address to call home other than my license plate number where ever it happens to be at any given moment which is about as consistent as a random number generator..and my photography will put me on the road for about 300 days a year once I get the business going next summer. I've done everything between pleasant clear skies, monster scary thunderstorms, hail and lightning like you wouldn't believe, 105F and 100% humidity, snow up to the eyeballs blizzards and sub zero temperatures down to -25F for weeks on end, broadside winds in excess of 60mph while parked, scary broadside winds while moving. I've stayed in weird places and other places so beautiful you don't want to leave. I've met the greatest most totally reliable and supportive friends I've ever had because they, just like me, live this way because it's who we are and wouldn't have it any other way.

What's the point of all this? Well, today is consecutive camping day number 1000. Pretty neat huh? Or maybe nuttier than squirrel poop... The next update will be on day number 2000.

Peace out,
Frank. (Nomad)

Attachments

• CampDay1000.JPG
    CampDay1000.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 96
  • PDO-Sep07.jpg
    PDO-Sep07.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Bailey-Aug08.JPG
    Bailey-Aug08.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 78
  • SWind-DEC06.jpg
    SWind-DEC06.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Sounds good to me. Congratulations.

I've always thought that sounded like an interesting way to live. Leah would not approve of you calling it "camping" but I won't tell her :)

Pretty good, Frank....

I used to work with a woman who married a gentleman that wanted to do the same. They sold their homes, bought a motorhome, and now do as you do.

IIRC, he's writing a book.

Great way to see America.

Frank, sometimes I think, "How can he do that, do without all his stuff?"

Then I note: all that "stuff" is, quite frequently, a source of trouble, stress and worry.

It looks like a pretty appealing way to live, and you're obviously serenely happy with it. How much better can it get?

Whenever you get Dallas-way, give advance warning, and dinner's up!

I've always thought that sounded like an interesting way to live. Leah would not approve of you calling it "camping" but I won't tell her :)

I wouldn't call it camping camping either. True camping was several years ago when I went solo into the backcountry of SW Colorado for 46 days straight and didn't see another human or any indications of civilization the whole time. That's camping.

sometimes I think, "How can he do that, do without all his stuff?" Then I note: all that "stuff" is, quite frequently, a source of trouble, stress and worry.

Contrary to popular belief, you DO NOT own your stuff. IT OWNS YOU and controls you like a psychotic dictator. You'd be amazed exactly how little stuff you really need or want when it comes to actually living. The day I got rid of all that excess stuff I previously owned, I felt like someone had been holding my head underwater too long and finally let me up to breathe again. It probably added 10 years to my life just by dumping the stress of taking care of all that junk. Everything is now categorized as a want, a need, or an essential. When I bring something new in, two other things leave.

It looks like a pretty appealing way to live, and you're obviously serenely happy with it. How much better can it get?

It can get a lot better. I'm semi stationary too much right now for work however I'm planning on doing the art festival circuit like a very good friend of mine does. She's literally on the road 9-10 months a year. Stay somewhere 3-4 days then move on. Always getting to see somewhere new and not sticking around long enough to get bored with a place.

I have a severe case of Wanderlust..and my house is on wheels. It's The Good Life.

Congrats, Frank. I hope the next 1,000 nights bring as much, if not more, joy then the first 1,000!

Would have been more fun if it were a Gooney Bird, a Global Express or G-V instead of a camper...

Then again, it would have been a LOT more expensive.

Sorry. A motorhome is not camping. Its a hotel with wheels. :D

Thats neat Frank. Reminds me of the book blue lines.
"Blue Highways--A Journey Across America", by Wm. Least Heat-Moon. I read that book when it first came out. It is so captivating that to this day I remember reading it. It was the impetus for my desire to hike the Brook Range.

Attachments

• f9_6.jpg
    f9_6.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 205
attaboy, Frank. I think it's great! And, I'm glad you're still hanging out here with us.

I think Frank has succeeded in realizing its not the destination, its the journey. All our "stuff" is rented anyway. All we really own is our integrity and character.

Frank - thanks for posting; I had no idea you'd been living as a fulltimer. It's something I've long thought about, but usually just brushed aside. The past few years, I've been thinking more and more about a more mobile lifestyle.

So, I've been paring down the stuff (it really does "own you"), eliminating debt, mobile-ifying my job, and otherwise simplifying my "life."

I'd love to learn more about what you're doing and how you're doing it. Perhaps you could PM me with some good resources?

We're in the hills now for a couple weeks in our trailer, it's interesting to see how quickly I can wean off of the "stuff" at home. Haven't ever wanted to full-time, but have done 59 nights and 46 nights before. Never in a motor-home, however, so that might be different. For us, the flexibility of the Trail-Manor has been perfect. We can keep it under the carport and use for extra beds or grandkid playroom, then be ready to hit the road anytime in a couple of hours if a good weekend gig pops up.

We are cheating a bit this week, however, as kids have rented a big house in Aspen for a month and got an extra BR for us. Fact is I'd rather be on a creek somewhere, but this is a nice place. Prices are waaay down here, this one was $7MM a couple years ago, could be bought for less than $3MM today.

Congrats, and although I've never lived in a camper, I did live on a boat, and I was very happy without a lot of stuff... or even a lot of space.

I'm curious... how does RV living compare, expense-wise, with your old life?

"Blue Highways--A Journey Across America", by Wm. Least Heat-Moon. I read that book when it first came out. It is so captivating that to this day I remember reading it. It was the impetus for my desire to hike the Brook Range.

Reading Least Heat-Moon's "River Horse" compelled my son and I to canoe the Susquehanna.

To answer a few posts:

It's not a hotel on wheels. It's a house on wheels. (and, um, has the gas mileage to prove it) Ok, so it's actually the size of a dorm room with a small galley but how much room does a person really need anyway?

Forget the G-V nonsense. I'm thinking more along the lines of a DC-3. You know, something that can get in and out of fun places and carry a motorcycle.

Anthony is absolutely right. The journey is the destination. The destination is just an excuse to turn right instead of left the next morning. Getting to the destination is completely irrelevant. Integrity and character is what most fulltimers are completely full of. If you've ever lived on a working farm, the mindset and integrity is the same.

JoeSelch, I wrote something up a while back for a motorcycle board I'm on because others were interested in what it was like to fulltime. It's a bit lengthy and sort of in response to others questions however it's kind of a reality check for anyone considering fulltiming. I'll PM it to you shortly. There's a bit of the romance of the nomadic lifestyle however you have to do and handle things that rabbit hutch dwellers don't have a clue about.

Rottydaddy; Old life? I can't remember it. That person isn't me now. Expense? Worst case scenario (campgrounds) is about 1/2 the price of living in the same general area. Boondocking (non campgrounds, BLM land, truck stops or whatever) cuts the cost to fuel, propane and food.

It's The Good Life.

DOH your right I got the name wrong.

Frank, if your ever in the Northeast, shoot me an email. I think we can offer dinner at the least!
In the interium, enjoy the ride!

The airplanes just don't work for this. Airports don't have good hookups and picnic tables, campsites aren't wide enough for the wings.
To answer a few posts:

It's not a hotel on wheels. It's a house on wheels. (and, um, has the gas mileage to prove it) Ok, so it's actually the size of a dorm room with a small galley but how much room does a person really need anyway?

Forget the G-V nonsense. I'm thinking more along the lines of a DC-3. You know, something that can get in and out of fun places and carry a motorcycle.

Anthony is absolutely right. The journey is the destination. The destination is just an excuse to turn right instead of left the next morning. Getting to the destination is completely irrelevant. Integrity and character is what most fulltimers are completely full of. If you've ever lived on a working farm, the mindset and integrity is the same.

JoeSelch, I wrote something up a while back for a motorcycle board I'm on because others were interested in what it was like to fulltime. It's a bit lengthy and sort of in response to others questions however it's kind of a reality check for anyone considering fulltiming. I'll PM it to you shortly. There's a bit of the romance of the nomadic lifestyle however you have to do and handle things that rabbit hutch dwellers don't have a clue about.

Rottydaddy; Old life? I can't remember it. That person isn't me now. Expense? Worst case scenario (campgrounds) is about 1/2 the price of living in the same general area. Boondocking (non campgrounds, BLM land, truck stops or whatever) cuts the cost to fuel, propane and food.

It's The Good Life.

The airplanes just don't work for this. Airports don't have good hookups and picnic tables, campsites aren't wide enough for the wings.

Who said anything about airports or campgrounds being required?
Fully self contained. Big enough area to land the plane and no local gustappo is all that's needed.

Actually there are a few airports across the country that do have hookups. Not many but a few. They're mostly for seasonal workcampers from what I've heard.

There was a couple that flew their Grumman Albatross "aerohome" into Oshkosh. They put in a full kitchen and beds. They had flown as far as and landed in Hong Kong Bay.

You don't need an campsite if you can use any likely patch of water. I guess it'll be helpful to be able to dock at civilization once in a while.

Frank,

So you trailer your motorcycle and that is how you get around town? Just curious.

Sounds like its a great life. :smile:

since you are just traveling around the country. Why don't you come out our way. They use a RV couple each summer at the Johnson Creek Airport. It is in Idaho. You can look at it here: Johnson Creek Airport Webcam . You can go the four miles into Yellow Pine, ID. I'll see if I have a picture. I know I have a video of a landing there here: www.youtube.com/skybobb landing at Johnson Creek

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    715.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Not really. There are a couple of forwarding services operated specifically for folks like Frank. 'Course DHS and TSA hate those services....

Subject of "Start Up Junkies"
http://www.earthclassmail.com

They sent some employees to an RVer convention and they got thrown out.

Drift: I just had one more of those ID verification deals "Which of the following addresses have you used..." and they gave me the address of a box I rent. I wasn't even sure it was the right one. Then it occurred to me that you have fill out a USPS form supplying your real address, so guess what what Bill, the DHS knows, and the form must be public data. *sigh*

Last edited:
Drift: I just had one more of those ID verification deals "Which of the following addresses have you used..." and they gave me the address of a box I rent. I wasn't even sure it was the right one. Then it occurred to me that you have fill out a USPS form supplying your real address, so guess what what Bill, the DHS knows, and the form must be public data. *sigh*

They know everything. That doesn't mean they like you to have a forwarding/collecting address. The form may not be "public" data - but that never stopped DHS.

I have a flatbed trailer to carry the motorcyle on. The motorhome seldom goes anywhere without the trailer/motorcycle. I'm still having to mess with the jeep which is a pain however it has it's uses, like when there's 4 feet of snow and it's -15F in the winter. I can also triple tow in some states if I need to take the jeep with me. So far I've been able to leave the jeep behind at a friends house since I'm sort of local to Colorado for right now.

Mail? Who needs mail most of the time? As Bill said, there are RV fulltimer mail services available...IMNSHO the dhs/tsa types can go do themselves and leave us alone because we're more likely to beat the snot out of a terrorist than they are. We're not the enemy. Just like GA, fulltiming is a small community and weirdo's stand out like a fake wannabe on an airport ramp.

Elizabeth, I'm currently working in live theatre doing tech work and am the official paid photographer for any shows or events that are put on at our theatre. The actual photography business is in the startup phase right now. I'll be working at art festivals around the country. Next year I'm going to be doing my first real show. The plan is to be in at least 6-8 shows next year and try to average about 25-30 shows a year once things get going. Right now I'm building an inventory of good quality art that's sellable that meets my standards. A really good friend of mine (she's a fulltimer also) has been doing art festivals for the last 8 years now and is is giving me guidance and advice on what works and what doesn't and how to survive doing this. We both think I can do this without a problem.
I don't feel comfortable posting any of my really good stuff online since what I have will be on my tent walls for sale starting next year. Samples of work will be on my website once I get that setup. That said, here are a few samples of the kind of thing I do. Keep in mind this is just from my just having fun with a camera and unacceptable rejects lists, not the good stuff:

Attachments

• IMG_5152.jpg
    IMG_5152.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5189.jpg
    IMG_5189.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5246.JPG
    IMG_5246.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5267.jpg
    IMG_5267.jpg