Golf Carts?

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
I was watching the webcam at Shell Square and suddenly realized that for the 15 or so minutes I was watching that there wasn't a SINGLE GOLF CART on the field. At least none that I could see.

After 35 years or so of dodging those damned things, is it really true that they don't have any golf carts roaming the grounds this year?

Jim

They're still all over the place... mostly on the roads, but I noticed this year that there were a lot more paved road sections that had cones set up and warning tape with a "cart restriction" sign across them to give the pedestrians a bit of a break from dodging the carts. I think I saw more people riding the rental electric scooters this year however, but after walking constantly for three days in a row, I was almost wanting one of those scooters myself.

They're still all over the place... mostly on the roads, but I noticed this year that there were a lot more paved road sections that had cones set up and warning tape with a "cart restriction" sign across them to give the pedestrians a bit of a break from dodging the carts. I think I saw more people riding the rental electric scooters this year however, but after walking constantly for three days in a row, I was almost wanting one of those scooters myself.

Leslie used be of those scooters a couple of years ago, after she came to AirVenture within a month of abdominal surgery.

We rented a cart to move our camera gear around the grounds but at $125 per day, it was a quite costly!

I had a confrontation with the WI national guard over a golf cart. Their superior even came back with rifle in hand to discuss it with me. As far as I was concerned the governor had not declared martial law in effect.

I don't take kindly to clowning around with motorized vehicles near airplanes, particularly vintage warbirds.

I was watching the webcam at Shell Square and suddenly realized that for the 15 or so minutes I was watching that there wasn't a SINGLE GOLF CART on the field. At least none that I could see.

After 35 years or so of dodging those damned things, is it really true that they don't have any golf carts roaming the grounds this year?

Jim,

For the last 2 years, since the site redesign that added the diagonal roads from the main gate, there has been a "restricted vehicle area" in the center of the show, with cart paths around it. Thus, rather than having everyone going from north to south going through the square, they're going well around. There are still carts and other vehicles that are allowed to access the restricted vehicle area, but it's a LOT harder to get the pink sticker than the green sticker on the cart.

The RVA is in effect from 7 AM to 6 PM IIRC, and is inside the area surrounded by the cart paths. The north boundary is just south of the control tower, the south boundary is at the south edge of the exhibit hangars, and the western boundary is just west of the exhibit hangars.

One unfortunate side effect is that the new "cart paths" are being used by pedestrians as well despite being clearly marked as "cart path" and all exhibits being faced away from them, so there's as much cart-pedestrian tangle as ever, it just doesn't happen (much) in the square any more.

I had a confrontation with the WI national guard over a golf cart. Their superior even came back with rifle in hand to discuss it with me. As far as I was concerned the governor had not declared martial law in effect.

I don't take kindly to clowning around with motorized vehicles near airplanes, particularly vintage warbirds.

I don't take clowns clowning around with guns lightly, either. I'd have dropped my drawers in front of everyone and bent over while loudly saying, "What's with the rifle, RogerRamjet Mother$&@#%&? Whacha gonna do, shoot me in the @$$ to defend my freedom?"

But that's just me. I'm allergic to a-holes. :rolleyes2:

We rented a cart to move our camera gear around the grounds but at $125 per day, it was a quite costly!

I am willing to pay the price if it is available! Does anyone know where you can rent one. Thanks

Necrothread.jpg

(but welcome to PoA none the less :D :D )

Last edited:
My mom (previously mom and dad) own a golf car distributorship... One step up from a "Dealer". I spent seven wonderful years working with my parents at their business. One of the thing's dad taught me to do was to modify the golf cars.... BTW, Dad always did say it is a Golf Car and not a Cart because by definition a "CART" is something that is pushed or pulled... a Golf Car is neither pushed or pulled by a human or animal.

Here is the first "lifted" golf car I built, and this picture is just prior to when I finished the pinstriping... something else dad taught me to do :D

Carb119.jpg

and when I was all finished building it, here is how it looked :)
Carb132.jpg

I am willing to pay the price if it is available! Does anyone know where you can rent one. Thanks

You can't just "rent one," you need a reason - you're making a movie, you're working for EAA, you're Bob Hoover, etc.

You can't just "rent one," you need a reason - you're making a movie, you're working for EAA, you're Bob Hoover, etc.

Not completely true. They put the use of them (and your own driver) up for bid in charitable auctions. Ain't cheap, but the money over and above the value is tax deductible and goes to a charitable cause. ;)

Back