Golf cart questions

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Twin Oaks Airport now has a used golf cart to make things easier. We know nothing at all about golf carts (obviously we aren't golfers. :D) and would like some input on what not to do, what mods to add on etc. It had a golf bag cart on the back which we removed and we were thinking of adding the rear flip seat.

It's a 2003 Club Car DS IQ electric.

Suggestions? What to do, what not to do? Can it tow an airplane? Can it really tow anything? How much weight can it carry without hurting it?

Add a manditory bumper sticker

FBO I rent from uses a golf cart for towing their C172's and C182's. They have a 8-10 foot 2x4 with the cessna tow bar style fitting on end, and a trailer ball clamp on the other.

I've observed the line guys use it and can tell it makes that part of their job a very simple task.

I know a guy who uses a 36v model to tow his Comanche to the fuel dump when he wants to fill up and not start the engine for a short taxi. Probably 3/4 mile round trip. No problem. Paved surface. Has a solar trickle charger for it.

Just be careful not to turn the nosewheel to sharp. Ball hitch on the end of the towbar.

We just bought another for the farm. Think it's a 2003 also, Club
car electric. You can get a hitch for it. We paid ~ $40 for the hitch. It would probably pull a single engine plane pretty well. I can pull a steel wheeled old hay wagon around the farm with it (lightly loaded). When the guys were putting line posts in the vineyard, five of them would come in for lunch on one cart, two sitting and three standing and holding on.......Didn't hurt the cart :-0
The other cart, an EZ-GO, we had a chip installed in the controller to let it run faster. Boy, does it take off! The border collie can just barely keep up at full speed, heh, heh . We use the golf bag loops on the back for carrying hoes, weedeaters, digging irons, etc. I'm sure you already have looked on line at the array of stuff you can get for them. h

We've pulled heavier stuff than an airplane with a club car. We used to use them to lug the marching band "pit" equipment (stationary drums, xylophones, marimbas, yada yada) on to the field at halftime. It was four trailer loads.

I've got an EZ-GO (one of the few special benefits of working at Textron, got a 40% discount). The amusing thing when you talk to the guys at EZGO is that they refer to them as "Golf Cars" (not carts).

they refer to them as "Golf Cars" (not carts).

After seeing some of the customized ones lately, I can see why many are thinking that way...

old%20chev%20trk.gif

124135d1279921761-lets-see-your-golf-carts-luxury_golf_carts.jpg

hotrod_600x521.jpg

Found one to tuck into your man cave

Toilet-Go-Cart-2.jpg

Twin Oaks Airport now has a used golf cart to make things easier. We know nothing at all about golf carts (obviously we aren't golfers. :D) and would like some input on what not to do, what mods to add on etc. It had a golf bag cart on the back which we removed and we were thinking of adding the rear flip seat.

It's a 2003 Club Car DS IQ electric.

Suggestions? What to do, what not to do? Can it tow an airplane? Can it really tow anything? How much weight can it carry without hurting it?

They can certainly push/pull an airplane. I like a pintal hitch on the front for the towbar.

One thing about a used electric cart.... Batteries. Be sure they are fresh. Some are $1200 to replace, depending.

I'm not sure what you mean. :redface:

It is electric so it has a lot of battery capacity. Create connection points to connect jumper cables to. Just be sure you pick the right voltage for what you are going to be jump starting. A mechanic here had his set up that way.

It is electric so it has a lot of battery capacity. Create connection points to connect jumper cables to. Just be sure you pick the right voltage for what you are going to be jump starting. A mechanic here had his set up that way.

Depends, you can get 24 out of most golf carts, you're not going to easily get 12V out of a Club Car. It uses 8V batteries. Of course running 16V into a 14V system probably wouldn't hurt TOO much.

Back