Golden Eagle Not Updating

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
About a month ago, with the pending expiration of my Norton Virus Protection on my home computer, I decided to cancel it and download the free MacAfee Virus protection provided by Comcast as part of my high speed internet package (i.e. meaning its not quite free :D). On the weekend I went to boot up my Golden Eagle Flight Planner and it told me the data had expired. No problem. Just hit the "update from internet" button as per normal. Except now it won't work!

It goes to the screen but all the files needing update are red, and the update button in the lower left corner is "greyed" out.

Just in case it was something with the GE program, I uninstalled it and then downloaded and installed again. Same thing.

I'm guessing here but I think MacAfee has blocked a port or something but I don't know how to check and/or fix.

Help

It started doing this to me too about a month ago. I have removed Norton with their tool and installed AVG but it is still happening.

I am using Vista.

On my computer with XP Golden Eagle is working fine. I think it is some sort of Vista/GE issue.

It started doing this to me too about a month ago. I have removed Norton with their tool and installed AVG but it is still happening.

I am using Vista.

On my computer with XP Golden Eagle is working fine. I think it is some sort of Vista/GE issue.

But I'm still running XP.

About the same time we got an upgrade at work. Not sure what the base Windows system is but Word, Excel, etc are all 2003. The auto update on GE isn't working but I can go to the update page and manually select the update button at least.

Seems GE has an issue the way its currently configured.

Send GE an email. I had a big problem when I upgraded to Vista, and in two email exchanges, they had solved my problem.

I was going to do that but it appeared that I had to open an account first. Is that right?

I'm not sure. I think maybe you only need a DUATS account.
I'm using the free GE, FWIW.

Mcafee and Norton both default to blocking everything. If you change to 'expert' mode in either program, or dig a bit, you should be able to get to the logs. You'll probably find one or more files being blocked. You can toggle the files one by one to see which on allows the download to work. Occasionally the names of the file that shows up have no real comparison to the actual program that you're using, but the time stamps in the logs will usually help. (like if you try the update now, 2 mins later you get to the logs and you see a file blocked.) The newer versions of Mcafee shows the blocked exe files in red so it is kinda' hard to miss.

Well the reply from Golden Eagle was to turn off the McAfee Firewall. I turned it off, the pop up blocker off, etc,. I turned off everything I could find. Still doesn't work. I'll dig to see if I can find anything.

Well the reply from Golden Eagle was to turn off the McAfee Firewall. I turned it off, the pop up blocker off, etc,. I turned off everything I could find. Still doesn't work. I'll dig to see if I can find anything.

Does your version of Mcafee include the resident shield? If it is active, try turning it off. Same for windows One Care if you have it.

if you're running vista, there's a problem with GE.

Barry is on XP I am on Vista and have a problem. I get the downloads to work automatically. I just cannot get them to install.
That was the problem I had too, but I can't for the life of me remember what I changed in the preferences to fix that.
My GE is working just fine

That was the problem I had too, but I can't for the life of me remember what I changed in the preferences to fix that.
My GE is working just fine

Thanks for the hint.

I think I figured it out thanks to Googling up a solution finally from Duats
Golden Eagle and Windows Vista
Compatibility
Please follow the steps below to properly set up Golden
Eagle FlightPrep® 2007 to run under Windows Vista.
1. Download and install the latest version of Golden Eagle
2007 (Approx 42 MB).
2. Clicking on the download “Install Shield” will install
Golden Eagle. Once the software has been installed,
right-click on the “Golden Eagle by FlightPrep®” desktop
shortcut, and select “Properties.”
3. In the “Properties” dialog (see graphic on back), select
“Compatibility,” then set the following settings:
a. Under the “Compatibility” mode section, select “Run
this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP
(Service Pack 2).”
b. Under the “Privilege Level” section, select “Run this
program as administrator.”
c. Select “OK” to confirm your selections and close the
“Properties” dialog.
Double-click on the Golden Eagle 2007 by FlightPrep®
shortcut to launch the application. When the application
launches, you will be asked to confirm access to your
computer. Select “Allow” to run the application.

I had been hunting all over their homepage with no luck. But you led me to their newsletter.

THANKS!!!

Thanks for the hint.

I think I figured it out thanks to Googling up a solution finally from Duats

I had been hunting all over their homepage with no luck. But you led me to their newsletter.

THANKS!!!

I'm glad I could be of some help for once.

If you want to go for a twofer... got any hints on a good way to mike a banjo?
yes. live or recording?
for live, an sm57 works pretty well, although I use a beyer 422, which is a mic specifically designed for snare drums.
for studio, I generally use either a tube mic (like a neumann m149 or u47) or a ribbon mic (like a Coles or Royer), and sometimes I will use both. The tube mic is a very clean and sparkly sound, whereas the ribbon mic sounds a bit more old timey. Mixing the two together gets a very full and pleasing sound.

However, I have noticed that with banjo (and dobro), it almost doesn't matter what you use for mics. The instruments are so distinctive sounding that even a bad recording of them still sounds pretty good.

yes. live or recording?
for live, an sm57 works pretty well, although I use a beyer 422, which is a mic specifically designed for snare drums.
for studio, I generally use either a tube mic (like a neumann m149 or u47) or a ribbon mic (like a Coles or Royer), and sometimes I will use both. The tube mic is a very clean and sparkly sound, whereas the ribbon mic sounds a bit more old timey. Mixing the two together gets a very full and pleasing sound.

However, I have noticed that with banjo (and dobro), it almost doesn't matter what you use for mics. The instruments are so distinctive sounding that even a bad recording of them still sounds pretty good.

Live recording.

I have a SM58 that I use for vocals. I also have a Audio-Technica Pro-45 that I have cause it is fun to play with when I need to just record a jam session in a room. Then I have two MXi mikes. A MXL 990 and a 991.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

I have used thsee two to get recordings of guitar and banjo. I use the 991 up close to the banjo pointed pretty much at the drum on the banjo. The 990 is then in the front of the guitar by a couple of feet and catches a little banjo. I can work out how much as I mix into the reorder.

But I have not done any live sound set ups for guitar and banjo. With this gear is there anything you can suggest or should I just go get the SM57 and use that?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It sounds to me like you're getting some results with your recording rig.
I would suggest getting an sm57 just so you have one. It's the second most useful tool in a sound guy's tool box, right after duct tape.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It sounds to me like you're getting some results with your recording rig.
I would suggest getting an sm57 just so you have one. It's the second most useful tool in a sound guy's tool box, right after duct tape.
Excellent. I will get one. After all a professional told me I need one. ;)

Still no joy on the update. I turned off the McAfee Firewall, made sure the windows firewall was off, added flightprep and navinfo to the most trusted sites - still comes up red. I don't know how to check ports but I wonder if one is blocked?

Back