Gold Seal Instructor

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
I have been assigned to GOLD SEAL instructor. Does anyone know anything about this designation?
Thanks.

Two different ways to earn a Gold Seal depending on if you’re a Sport rated CFI, or not.

Documented in AC 61-65.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-65G.pdf

Generally it means the instructor holds specific certificates and did a high enough level of training activity to qualify for it. It imparts no special privileges and could have been thirty years ago, or yesterday. Once a Gold Seal, always a Gold Seal.

There’s also other organizations that will impart other “certificates” to instructors, usually titles like “Master” etc.

And there’s a business operating under the name “Gold Seal” for flight instruction as well. Two of their instructors post here from time to time so they could answer whether or not all of their instructors hold the FAA version or not, but they’re all good instructors and they’re working hard on their program.

From the AC:

“GOLD SEAL FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATES OTHER THAN FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS WITH A SPORT PILOT RATING. Order 8900.1, Volume 5, Chapter 2, Section 13, Issue a Gold Seal Flight Instructor Certificate, contains the specific requirements for the Gold Seal Flight Instructor Certificate other than flight instructors with a sport pilot rating. Flight instructor certificates bearing distinctive
gold seals are issued to flight instructors who have maintained a high level of flight training activity and who meet special criteria. Once issued, a Gold Seal Flight Instructor Certificate will be reissued each time the instructor’s certificate is renewed. Applicants for Gold Seal Flight Instructor Certificates must meet the following requirements:
1. The flight instructor must hold a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating (glider flight instructors need not hold an instrument rating) or an ATP certificate;
2. The flight instructor must hold a ground instructor certificate with an advanced or instrument ground instructor rating; and
3. The flight instructor must have accomplished the following within the previous 24 calendar-months:
• Trained and recommended at least 10 applicants for a practical test, and at least 80 percent of the applicants passed their tests on the first attempt;
• Conducted at least 20 practical tests as a DPE, or graduation tests as chief instructor of a part 141 approved pilot school course; or
• A combination of the above requirements. Two practical tests conducted equal the credit given for one applicant trained and recommended for a practical test.

GOLD SEAL FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATES WITH A SPORT PILOT RATING. Order 8900.1, Volume 5, Chapter 2, Section 12, Administer a Practical Test for a Title 14 CFR Part 61 Initial, Renewal, or Reinstatement for a Flight Instructor with a Sport Pilot Rating, contains specific requirements for the Gold Seal Flight Instructor Certificate with a sport pilot rating. Flight instructor certificates bearing distinctive
gold seals are issued to flight instructors who have maintained a high level of flight training activity and who meet special criteria. Once issued, a Gold Seal Flight Instructor Certificate will be reissued each time the instructor’s certificate is renewed. Applicants for Gold Seal Flight Instructor Certificates with a sport pilot rating must meet the following requirements:

1. The flight instructor must hold at least a sport pilot certificate;
2. The flight instructor must hold a ground instructor certificate with a basic ground instructor rating; and
3. The flight instructor must have accomplished one of the following within the previous 24 months:
• Trained and recommended at least 10 applicants for an original certificate with at least 80 percent of those applicants recommended passing the practical test on the first attempt;
• Conducted at least 20 certification practical tests as an examiner or conducted 20 certification graduation tests as a chief flight instructor for an approved pilot school course; or
• A combination of the above requirements. Two certification practical tests/certification graduation tests equate to one trained and recommended applicant.”

P.S. Notice how the online link about it only mentions the requirements for non-Sport CFIs?

That’s a common problem with many of the online sites. They don’t mean to be incomplete, but go to a non-Sport centric site, get a partial answer. Often true of glider centric sites, too.

Always go to the source material (FAA) whenever possible for this sort of thing. :)

One of my minor pet peeves is those sites NOT linking to or mentioning where to find it in FAA source material. The good ones do. Not referencing the FAA material shows a touch of laziness on the website operator.

Thank you for the link. Looks like I’m in good hands.

Yeah, it’s not a bad thing. It also might not mean anything at all if the person earned it three decades ago and then didn’t teach any students for three decades. Ha.

That wouldn’t be common, but it’s an automatic renewal once you have it.

I'm a Gold Seal instructor...it doesn't mean anything. ;)

You don’t use it for marketing wank? ;) ;) ;) That’s where I usually see it.

No offense to the guys who named their business after it.

If I ever get that busy teaching, I’ll apply for it. I doubt I will any time soon. Just one of those “Why not?” things.

Poking fun at Russell,

I guess that if someone works for @write-stuff's school, they need to be super clear that, until they actual earn the tile, they are an instructor at Gold Seal, and not a "Gold Seal" instructor....

You don’t use it for marketing wank? ;) ;) ;) That’s where I usually see it.

No offense to the guys who named their business after it.

If I ever get that busy teaching, I’ll apply for it. I doubt I will any time soon. Just one of those “Why not?” things.
Our company had a push a couple of years ago to recognize those with Gold Seal certificates...including those who were qualified and renewed with Gold Seal at that time. They got a really cool backpack with a Gold Seal logo.:rolleyes:

I didn't get the really cool backpack, because I didn't want to change my renewal month, so I got it at my next renewal.

AFAIK, the company doesn't advertise it in any way.

Poking fun at Russell,

I guess that if someone works for @write-stuff's school, they need to be super clear that, until they actual earn the tile, they are an instructor at Gold Seal, and not a "Gold Seal" instructor....
Not to worry. We've never misled anyone. (And I am a Gold Seal instructor, but it's not the kind of thing that I think warrants much in the way of bragging rights.)

Not to worry. We've never misled anyone. (And I am a Gold Seal instructor, but it's not the kind of thing that I think warrants much in the way of bragging rights.)

From everything I’ve seen, y’all deserve the Gold Seal name for reasons other than the FAA ones. :)

Definitely no intent to insinuate you guys mislead anyone in any way. Just a clarification for someone asking a vague question they didn’t know was vague. :)

It's good for marketing, also at least shows that at least at one point you could juggle more than a couple students and get at least 80% to pass first time, plus you got yourself a ground instructor cert, and went into a FAA FSDO to have your records verified to get the gold seal.

It's a good thing, no so much because it gives the CFI any additional powers, but because there is a certain personality type that jumps the hoops to get it, in my experience the diligaf Hobbs watching CFIs tend not to bother with these things, also by the time a CFIs renewal comes up and they have flown enough to get a gold seal, chances are they probably have ATP mins, thus someone with a gold seal might be somewhat less likely to ditch you midway through your training to chase the carrot on the stick seeking a regional pilot job.

Last edited:
It's good for marketing, also at least shows that at least at one point you could juggle more than a couple students and get at least 80% to pass first time, plus you got yourself a ground instructor cert, and went into a FAA FSDO to have your records verified to get the gold seal.

Not to be too mean but I have both ground instructor certs. It was just taking the same two writtens over again and putting up with a three hour visit to the FSDO to get through the razor wire and armed guards to a friendly ASI who couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the computer either for badge authentication so he could log in, and a balky network printer.

Also I know at least one Gold Seal who did it the “graduation” way as a chief pilot at a school. That’s a total “gimme” at any busy school. He’s a damn good instructor but even he laughs at how he got the thing. He hasn’t been a chief instructor at a busy flight school in 30 years.

I think if you’re paying attention it’s just one of those things you go do if you notice you hit the requirements once.

And yeah, lots of CFIs out there that don’t know what it is and don’t pay any attention. :)

There’s one school here that has someone’s Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award on their web page. It’s a neat certificate but it truly just means you started flying young, and getting pretty old now... and you never crashed. :) :) :)

Back