Going wireless

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I am getting ready to go wireless at home and I am looking for suggestions on a router. I have two Dell laptops, Inspiron E1505 and Inspiron 5100, I will need a wireless card for the 5100. :dunno:

I highly recommend Linksys. I have a five-year old router I now use as a switch. They helped me set it up through their 24/7 customer support.

I use linksys, got it set up myself, and it works great. The better half's parents use linksys as well with several computers on the wireless and it also works like a dream.

I like the Netgear ProSafe line, but that's mainly because they're the least expensive routers I know of that are ICSA-certified. That probably only makes a difference if you're doing it professionally and want to cover your butt. For everyone else, there's not a heck of a lot of difference between brands, in my experience.

Rich

Our ATT 2Wire has been hit by lightening a few times and that's not the box's fault but after the 90 warrantee expires, ATT will replace it for call fee plus box, which is way more than you could buy another one for...
Next time I may try to buy my own replacement and see if I can get it to be recognized by ATT.
Have surge suppressors on phone line and power supplies now, hoping that will reduce the rate of failure (on #4 now). Thunderstorms all summer this year, tired of pulling cords out of the wall every day.

First wireless router (pre-ATT) was a motorola with card from RadioShack, worked just fine too. They all come with installation instructions.

For Wireless I just use the 3-wire one that AT&T gave me. I have an ethernet router for the few things I still run cables to in the house. That is a 3Com unit that I found just laying around at work after we upgraded everything to 100bT. The 3Com router is 10bT but considering the pipe to my house does not get 10Gig through it the size of the router made no difference.

For other wireless access points I have used the Linksys and Lucent ones in the past and bot were very good. I did not like the Cisco ones too much, they were a bit more painful to manage. But these fore for some pretty big wireless deployments in meetings that I was running. So it was temporary quick set up stuff that we were trying to do. After things got too large we hired a full time person to do the work and he opted for Linksys units.

I have a D-link that's a few years old- no problems. I used it on both DSL and cable connections. It was easy to set up and easy to change over.

I suspect that the important item is really ease of use- once it is set, it should just sit there and run, since there is little to differentiate these hubs.

We have been using the same D-Link for about 4 years without incident. The laptop I'm typing on is using a card and my wife's laptop runs sans card. And believe me when I say...if I can install it, ANYONE can install it.

I'm pleased with d-link.

It really doesn't matter much though.

Have had a Lynksys for several years. No problems.
As others have said, they are all about the same I think for home use.

Mark B

Back