Going wire less

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
We are about to sell the house and go full time in the M/H until we build a new house.

If you were to stop using this desk top and get some thing new what would you get?

I do several pages like this one, plus aircraft research on the FAA Home page look up regs and stuff.

Send E-mail, And Google of course.

At the new house site we get very good cell phone coverage, but no cable (yet). And no WiFi hop spots

I need the "what to buy", and best prices.

Last edited:
I have a little Acer that I got Office Depot for about 225$ and I tether it to my cell phone when traveling.

At home I tether the phone to my desktop. Pete uses a Verizon aircard as we don't have sat or cable to hook up to, and the alternative is 28K dialup.

I would get a Macbook Pro or Air. What you should get could be that or an entirely different choice.

I'd say any laptop you like. Net books are cute, but serious horsepower laptops have dropped in price so dramatically that it's silly to spend $200 on a netbook when $400 will get you a quite capable laptop. Probably as fast or faster than your desktop unless it's very new.

And here you thought I'd say something Appleish. So I will. I agree with the sentiment that MY next laptop will be the current generation MacBook Pro. They're screaming fast machines, can run MacOS, Windows, and Linux either natively or in at least three forms of virtual machines, and will probably last me six to eight years before I would require an upgrade again. I need the multi-OS support for my job.

Just waiting to see what hardware I get at the new job first to know whether or not I will need one. Also letting Apple have some time to work out kinks in the new hardware's OS support. Been there done that... I won't buy version 1 of Apple hardware until I've seen a major OS update come out for it that smacks down all the weird hardware integration woes. Someone else can beta-test for them. ;)

Another really-nice-to-have right now would be an SSD. Prices are still too high, but once you've seen any OS boot on a good-quality Solid State Drive, you won't want to go back. It'll add anywhere from $200-$400 to the price of the machine if you DIY it, and likely a little more as a factory option right now. Can easily double the price of a cheap machine. Especially if you get a big one.

Another really-nice-to-have right now would be an SSD. Prices are still too high, but once you've seen any OS boot on a good-quality Solid State Drive, you won't want to go back. It'll add anywhere from $200-$400 to the price of the machine if you DIY it, and likely a little more as a factory option right now. Can easily double the price of a cheap machine. Especially if you get a big one.

btw - the 128GB SSD is a $200 option on the mbp

And yes, the new mbp's are fast.

We are about to sell the house and go full time in the M/H until we build a new house.

At the new house site we get very good cell phone coverage, but no cable (yet). And no WiFi hop spots

Are you going to be parking the motorhome at the new house site or will you be moving it around a lot?

If it's going to be sitting, and you plan on bringing a telco landline on to the property, you could just have them run a line for DSL to where you park and plug your motorhome in.

Tom:

Whatever you do, be sure that you do not commit to any carrier's product until you have verified that the wireless data works well at your primary desired location! They all advertise they're the "best," but the fact is, different carriers have the best service at different locations.

I'd say any laptop you like. Net books are cute, but serious horsepower laptops have dropped in price so dramatically that it's silly to spend $200 on a netbook when $400 will get you a quite capable laptop. Probably as fast or faster than your desktop unless it's very new.

True. I picked up a really nice laptop for our dispatchers guild for about 600$. 18" screen, all the goodies, Win 7. Beautiful machine. Would work well in the MH, I just didn't think of that one. I like my little Acer for traveling as it fits nicely on my bike. That big 18" screen? not a chance. :wink2:

In our area the wired phone and internet is crap. They keep sending me offers to get in on the super high speed DSL but the wiring to my location is old and won't handle 10% of the DSL speed so thats no good. The phone service sucks too so we are all wireless. I've got one of the Verizon broadband wireless modems that works pretty well. I can run 5 computers online at once with each doing their own thing....not networked. The price is reasonable...I guess, at $60/mo and I do all sorts of registry (N numbers), AD searches and other such stuff. Email is there too and I can take the modem on the road with me too. I've used it in some pretty out of the way places where even my verizon phone didn't work. It slows down but still has contact. In our area AT&T is useless and sprint just sucks. Things are different in other areas so check with friends and some of the local shops to see which really works best where you are.

Frank

I have a new 11" MacBook Air with the solid state hard drive and what you say about the speed at booting is absolutely true. I am also running the Mac OS plus Windows 7 on it thru Parallels since there are some programs I use that don't come in a Mac version. The Windows programs run slightly slower than on my desktop but this computer has less RAM and a slower processor. I think it would be fine for anything except gaming with lots of graphics, which I don't do. I'll confess that this was somewhat of an impulse purchase and there has been some learning curve since this is my first Mac but I'm happy with it. It's much better than the HP netbook we have for the airplane but I'll bet is also cost 3 times as much.

For traveling I have a Verizon USB aircard. One of these days I'll probably go to tethering on my phone but I still have about 6 months left on the Verizon contract so I decided to wait.

If you were to stop using this desk top and get some thing new what would you get?

I do several pages like this one, plus aircraft research on the FAA Home page look up regs and stuff.

Send E-mail, And Google of course.

I need the "what to buy", and best prices.
Are you asking what kind of computer to replace the desktop with or how to get internet service in your motorhome?

For the former, I'd go with a $400-500 laptop unless web browsing and email are your only tasks. A netbook might work but they're only a little cheaper and won't do anywhere near as much. Their primary advantage is the smaller size and weight, something which won't do you much good if you're hauling it around in a M/H.

For internet service in the boonies there are several options, most if not all are expensive. There are USB cellular modems which provide better speed than dial up (anybody use dial up these days?) but are still considerably slower than cable or high speed DSL. Some areas are served by decent terrestrial radio delivered internet service at a reasonable cost and if that's available and you aren't going to be moving the M/H very far this is likely to be the lowest cost solution. Next up are the satellite based services which are pricey, unreliable, and often fairly slow.

Finally if I were you I'd see if I could find someone in the area who has decent internet service via cable or DSL that you could talk into sharing (an attractive offer would be for you to pay their entire internet service which is likely to be far less than you'd pay for similar performance since you can't get cable but a 50/50 split might be acceptable as well). Their location needs to be somewhere you can achieve direct line of sight visibility without significant intervening vegetation but you can easily go up 10 feet above your M/H roof to accomplish that. The distance could be as much as a few miles (more if you're talking mountaintop to mountaintop). Then you need to get a pair of these:

http://tinyurl.com/Engenius5611

Are you asking what kind of computer to replace the desktop with or how to get internet service in your motorhome?

Both if I need to

For the former, I'd go with a $400-500 laptop unless web browsing and email are your only tasks. A netbook might work but they're only a little cheaper and won't do anywhere near as much. Their primary advantage is the smaller size and weight, something which won't do you much good if you're hauling it around in a M/H.

For internet service in the boonies there are several options, most if not all are expensive. There are USB cellular modems which provide better speed than dial up (anybody use dial up these days?) but are still considerably slower than cable or high speed DSL. Some areas are served by decent terrestrial radio delivered internet service at a reasonable cost and if that's available and you aren't going to be moving the M/H very far this is likely to be the lowest cost solution. Next up are the satellite based services which are pricey, unreliable, and often fairly slow.

Finally if I were you I'd see if I could find someone in the area who has decent internet service via cable or DSL that you could talk into sharing (an attractive offer would be for you to pay their entire internet service which is likely to be far less than you'd pay for similar performance since you can't get cable but a 50/50 split might be acceptable as well). Their location needs to be somewhere you can achieve direct line of sight visibility without significant intervening vegetation but you can easily go up 10 feet above your M/H roof to accomplish that. The distance could be as much as a few miles (more if you're talking mountaintop to mountaintop). Then you need to get a pair of these:

http://tinyurl.com/Engenius5611

If I go with the Dish net work for TV, I can also use their internet services.

Is there a better way?

There is no cable services at the new house site.

Everyone is on a dish of some variety or an other.

Last edited:
In a word, consumer satellite internet sucks. Read the reviews carefully before committing to sat based service for anything but TV. I had Hughes for a year when I lived in the hills. Never again if there is any other option.

First, I built the mobile command post at work (a converted motor home), and specd and built the network in the unit.

For internet, I would get a wireless router that will take a usb connection to an aircard:
http://3gstore.com/product/765_cradlepoint_mbr1000.html
It will take either a USB aircard, or plug in a small 3g/4g hotspot like the MiFi or Sprint Overdrive (the router will power and charge it, and take the data via USB).
The advantage is, you can put it wherever the aircard can get the best service, then send it over the network via WiFi.
Plus, you can plug a networkable USB printer to the router and everyone can print to it. You also don't have the five device limit.
I would also recommend 3gstore.com as the source, they have given me outstanding support over the three products of theirs that I bought.

For the 3g router, I would get whatever 3g/4g device has a service provider that will work for you, but I would get a mobile hotspot device rather than a simple USB dongle.
If you're away from the motorhome, you can take it with you and connect via the hotspot OR usb. The hotspots are just more flexible.
http://3gstore.com/product/2975_verizon_mifi_4150l_3g_4g_hotspot.html
See if there's 4g service from anyone at your place. You might be surprised, and you'd have DSL-level speed or higher.

PCs are PCs. Get what you want.
I have a Mac, and spent $1200 for it. You can buy Win PCs all day for $400 and be fine. Yes, a Mac will have a lifespan twice that of a PC, but will cost 3x as much.

Last edited:
Tom:

Satellite works. That's about the best you can say about it. If you have another option, go that way.

I have used AT&T, Verizon and Sprint wireless data devices, and each worked just fine in some places, and not at all in others, so again I emphasize: be certain you try the data service you intend to use, in the places you'll use it, to make sure it works there and works well. Do not rely upon the coverage maps the carriers publish; they lie like a dog with fleas.

Illustration: my AT&T card will connect and contend to have a strong signal at my log shack in south Texas, but it only kinda works at all; slower than dial-up and has to be restarted a lot. I tried a Sprint card, which contended (by maps) to work there, but it was useless. Verizon card ain't lightning-fast, but it works and works pretty reliably, ao that is what I have settled on.

Edit: In good signal areas, my Verizon card is as fast decent DSL.

As for what computer to get, based upon your described use, get the cheapest laptop that will do what you want and has a keyboard you like; you should be able to get a rock-solid one for under $500.00. You can get a Mac, as well, but the extra $600.00 will buy you a bunch of mystical magic you'll never need or use. The Apple's a well-built... but s are a lot of other machines, for 40% less.

Illustration: my AT&T card will connect and contend to have a strong signal at my log shack in south Texas, but it only kinda works at all; slower than dial-up and has to be restarted a lot.
Excellent point.
It's critical to realize that data speeds are made up of two components:
1 - Data speed to the tower (controlled by signal strength and load on the cell site), and
2 - Speed of the data connection from the tower back to the network (called backhaul).

In rural areas, some towers use microwave backhaul, some use phone lines, etc. I have encountered cell sites in rural Colorado and New Mexico where my phone had 5 bars and said 3g, but I could barely get Google to come up.
The site I was on was less than 500 feet away, but the site itself had a very slow data connection to the internet.

Tom, if you don't need anything but web surfing and email there's one other option you might consider and I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested already. You could get an iPad with 3G service from Verizon or AT&T, whichever works best at your location. You can add a keyboard and a stand/dock giving you as much as you'd get with a netbook plus 3G dongle and you can take it in the airplane for charts etc.

Tom, if you don't need anything but web surfing and email there's one other option you might consider and I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested already. You could get an iPad with 3G service from Verizon or AT&T, whichever works best at your location. You can add a keyboard and a stand/dock giving you as much as you'd get with a netbook plus 3G dongle and you can take it in the airplane for charts etc.

Great point - And the easiest to set up by far. (and, I'm ashamed to admit, I didn't even think about this option! :eek:) The difficult part will be determining in advance whether AT&T or Verizon works better at the desired site.

Tom, there's also no reason you can't just keep your desktop machine, presuming you'll have a generator in the motor home and don't mind running it. A UPS (uninterruptible power supply) might be a good addition, but there's nothing special about laptops except the battery unless you really need portability.

Most cell carriers have a 72-hour return policy where you can get out of the contract if you don't get good service at your desired location. I would go to both Verizon and AT&T and get a device from each and see which one gets you better throughput. Return the one that sucks more - Or both, if you want to simply use a 3G iPad.

I went with the dirt cheap netbook from Wally world because I needed something that was dang near disposable. I can do 99% of what I do via my iPhone. Mail. Surf. Weather. Banking. Facebook. Even this site has an app and I'm using it now.

What I can't do is program ham radios for charity events with my phone. I need a winblows platform with USB. And it needs to be small and I carry it in my Harley trunk. M/c's are rough on hard drives, even when it's off.

So. Dirt cheap. If I drop it or break it it's not as bad as dropping a more costly machine and it links up to my iPhone for tethered use if I want to use it for the net.

Great point - And the easiest to set up by far. (and, I'm ashamed to admit, I didn't even think about this option! :eek:) The difficult part will be determining in advance whether AT&T or Verizon works better at the desired site.

We have AT&T now and get 4 bars at the site

Tom, there's also no reason you can't just keep your desktop machine, presuming you'll have a generator in the motor home and don't mind running it. A UPS (uninterruptible power supply) might be a good addition, but there's nothing special about laptops except the battery unless you really need portability.

That's how we did it last year while on Vacation. but we had wifi hot spots to get on the net. we don't have that now

Most cell carriers have a 72-hour return policy where you can get out of the contract if you don't get good service at your desired location. I would go to both Verizon and AT&T and get a device from each and see which one gets you better throughput. Return the one that sucks more - Or both, if you want to simply use a 3G iPad.

We know Verizon does work all that great in northern Puget Sound. WE dumped them and went to AT&T two years ago.

Last edited:
We know Verizon does work all that great in northern Puget Sound. WE dumped them and went to AT&T two years ago.

I'd suggest then that an iPad - One of the AT&T 3G models - Would be a good way to get online, like Lance said. Probably the easiest way. I do recommend either a bluetooth keyboard, or the iPad keyboard dock.

The other option would be to get a MyFi and keep using your current computer. MyFi is a combination 3G cellular data receiver and WiFi hotspot, so you'd have your own WiFi hotspot in your motor home wherever you have AT&T signal. The MyFi will work for your desktop, a laptop, or whatever else you have that can connect to a WiFi network.

Last edited:
I'd suggest then that an iPad - One of the AT&T 3G models - Would be a good way to get online, like Lance said. Probably the easiest way. I do recommend either a bluetooth keyboard, or the iPad keyboard dock.

I can't recommend an "iPad by itself" solution to anyone until syncing with iTunes isn't required for OS updates and media synchronization.

Most media is too large to download on 3G per AT&T's rules (not Apple's), and pops the box saying you need to be on WiFi, and OS updates are impossible without a "real" computer.

Apple needs to deal with this and get the iPad truly "stand-alone capable" in my not-so-humble opinion.

Love my iPad but right now, it's not a good "my only device that can get online" option.

Not going to pull punches on that one. Apple needs to fix it.

I can't recommend an "iPad by itself" solution to anyone until syncing with iTunes isn't required for OS updates and media synchronization.

Most media is too large to download on 3G per AT&T's rules (not Apple's), and pops the box saying you need to be on WiFi, and OS updates are impossible without a "real" computer.

Apple needs to deal with this and get the iPad truly "stand-alone capable" in my not-so-humble opinion.

Love my iPad but right now, it's not a good "my only device that can get online" option.

Not going to pull punches on that one. Apple needs to fix it.

Okay, from a practical perspective - That's NEVER going to happen. Over-the-air OS updates? Yeah. Between the iPads and iPhones that have been sold, that's somewhere north of 50 million devices, trying to download a several hundred megabyte file all at the same time? AT&T and Verizon would be brought to their knees for WEEKS.

You can own an iPad without owning a computer, and plenty of people do - And you can take it to the Apple Store for OS updates, if you feel the need. (I'm still running iOS 3.0.1 on my iPhone, and it works just fine, thankyouverymuch.) In Tom's situation, he's got a computer that he can use to sync and back up, and his lack of internet is temporary... So I just don't see it as a big problem. :dunno:

Now, if Tom decides that web and e-mail isn't what he wants to do and that he wants to watch movies on the iPad (I bet he's got a TV in the motor home for that, though) then yeah, he's going to need to find himself a WiFi hotspot to download feature-length movies. That wasn't part of his stated "Mission requirements" though.

Okay, from a practical perspective - That's NEVER going to happen. Over-the-air OS updates? Yeah. Between the iPads and iPhones that have been sold, that's somewhere north of 50 million devices, trying to download a several hundred megabyte file all at the same time? AT&T and Verizon would be brought to their knees for WEEKS.
I got a Droid OS update over-the-air last week. It wanted to update in the middle of the week, but I told it "no". I let it update when I got home and I didn't need the phone in case the update got messed up. It took about 5 minutes, the phone rebooted, and it just worked. The carrier was Verizon. So from a practical perspective, it can happen. I don't know how may droid phones are out there but it's not a trivial number. Of the 50 million iThings, how many are still in use? It seems Apple users buy the next one when it comes out.

I believe we have solved the problem for now, dusted the old Sony laptop and will replace the battery and use it as we did last summer while we were on the road.

I was hoping some one would tell me II needed one of these to start. :)

http://www.apple.com/imac/features.html

I believe we have solved the problem for now, dusted the old Sony laptop and will replace the battery and use it as we did last summer while we were on the road.

Probably a good solution - But do you already have an "air card" for it? If not, I'll go back to my recommendation of the MyFi.

I was hoping some one would tell me II needed one of these to start. :)

http://www.apple.com/imac/features.html

You need one of those to start.

(Glad to help. ;))

I got a Droid OS update over-the-air last week. It wanted to update in the middle of the week, but I told it "no". I let it update when I got home and I didn't need the phone in case the update got messed up.

So, were you actually downloading it via 3G or WiFi?

I don't know how may droid phones are out there but it's not a trivial number.

See, the thing is that there are a multitude of different Android devices, and they get OS updates when the phone's manufacturer makes them available, all on different schedules, NOT when Google first makes them available. So far as I can tell, there are currently 108 Android device families from 28 manufacturers, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem allowing updates from them. It also sounds like you're speaking of a "patch" update (if it downloaded that fast) and not a complete OS update which is, in the case of iOS, well into the hundreds of megabytes.

Of the 50 million iThings, how many are still in use? It seems Apple users buy the next one when it comes out.

And sell the old one on eBay... They're still out there. I'm still on an iPhone 3Gs and an "iPad 1" and I bought those both new. But, Apple's updates are available to all iOS devices on day 1, and that's not true of Android.

Huh? 50 million is the worldwide number. AT&T/VZ != The world's carriers. (Yet? Ha.)

I think the U.S. numbers were closer to 20 million last I checked?

Distributed file servers and updating 20 million devices is child's play for a real sysadmin/engineering team. AT&T & VZ don't want to pay for Apple's infrastructure however, so it'd be up to Apple to plunk down some of those billions in cash they're sitting on.

I'm not going to give them a pass on something they could deploy with a thousand or two Linux boxes and rsync. Seriously.

They just don't have effective political ways to deploy *inside* the carrier's networks. If they did, the carrier backbones are more than adequate to do mass distribution internally.

Mass distribution is child's play for production level sysadmins, really. If Apple can stream on-demand TV to my house over wireline, they can obviously build the servers to handle iOS distribution.

They just have to move it much much closer to the end-user, and that means getting the carriers to play ball. That's the hard part, not the bandwidth. Proper QoS style service design in the OS could be set up to only do such downloading when a particular cell site is not at max-capacity serving customer content, too. That'd require the carriers to integrate the servers properly. "Live" data first, update data goes to the back of the school bus, priority-wise. Simple.

It's easily "do-able" if the right folks sat down at a drawing board. It's not even slightly difficult other than scale, and with virtualization they could thump the scalability problems in the head. I was doing this type of stuff in the 90s with nothing but SSH, a custom CD-ROM to boot messed up systems (no PXE back then), and a pair of hands at the site to push the power button. (Company wouldn't spring for Wake-On-LAN cards, which are also commonplace now as well as "lights-out" management tools on even the cheapest pizza box servers.)

You can own an iPad without owning a computer, and plenty of people do - And you can take it to the Apple Store for OS updates, if you feel the need. (I'm still running iOS 3.0.1 on my iPhone, and it works just fine, thankyouverymuch.) In Tom's situation, he's got a computer that he can use to sync and back up, and his lack of internet is temporary... So I just don't see it as a big problem. :dunno:

Now, if Tom decides that web and e-mail isn't what he wants to do and that he wants to watch movies on the iPad (I bet he's got a TV in the motor home for that, though) then yeah, he's going to need to find himself a WiFi hotspot to download feature-length movies. That wasn't part of his stated "Mission requirements" though.

Agreed that Tom has better options. That was my point. I felt your post made it seem like iPad was a good option. I disagreed. The iPad alone would make an awful "one device" customer experience without Apple leaning on the wireline carriers for bandwidth.

I've been in one long meeting with the head AT&T Linux exec team. The guy is bright, and as much as the world loves to bash AT&T, me included, their Linux team could take this on, but they'd need $ from both Apple and AT&T to pull it off. And the VZ Unix folks are really strong too.

They'd all just need leadership to say "Get it done" and I bet it could be ramped up in less than a year. Six months with the right executive buy-in.

The economic reality is, Apple likes the mobile devices to leverage people to stop by the stores to consider buying a Mac. Paying big ca$h to install servers at any carrier, isn't even on their radar, I bet.

Technology-wise though, the problem is a very simple one to tackle. Put the servers out as close as possible to the "last-mile" and build them to be remotely bare-metal recoverable so a CO tech can simply swap parts.

This is already tried-and-true server tech. Heck nowadays companies like Expedia and others (since I've seen Expedia's rack farms), they just let multiple boxes die in-place and load-balance until the traffic is about to overwhelm that farm, turn up an entire new rack of pizza boxes, and take the first rack out of service for top-to-bottom rebuilds of OS and hardware swaps/maintenance. A few days later with no drama, they're ready to add the original rack back to the load-balanced server farm, which now has double the bandwidth. Then they alternate racks until load/demand is high enough for new hardware and/or another rack.

This scaled up to more sites is pretty easy to do, and actually easier from a power/cooling standpoint. Three to five pizza boxes per Central Office is nothing. Managing the logistics for parts replacement is harder than designing the distributed file servers.

I know! They're probably just waiting for the 19" rack mount kits and -48 VDC power supplies for the Mac Mini's. ;)

If you have an iPhone or other device that supports mobile hot spots I don't see a reason to get a 3G or 4G iPad. Use wifi, link to the hotspot. Don't buy a second data plan.

If you have an iPhone or other device that supports mobile hot spots I don't see a reason to get a 3G or 4G iPad. Use wifi, link to the hotspot. Don't buy a second data plan.

When traveling in the M/H WiFi hot spots are plentiful, camp grounds and rest areas have them, not so the new house site where we will park the M/H while we build. Even after we build there is no cable, we will be on satellite dish.

On this trip to the Kids WiFi is available, they have a wireless router, on cable connection, so no problems. I can use what we normally use.

At this time the M/H does not have a Satellite dish installed, we normally don't watch that much TV while traveling. and while at home we connect it to the house cable. So, we will be buying a dish for the M/H and try the internet connection thru that dish.

When traveling in the M/H WiFi hot spots are plentiful, camp grounds and rest areas have them, not so the new house site where we will park the M/H while we build. Even after we build there is no cable, we will be on satellite dish.

On this trip to the Kids WiFi is available, they have a wireless router, on cable connection, so no problems. I can use what we normally use.

At this time the M/H does not have a Satellite dish installed, we normally don't watch that much TV while traveling. and while at home we connect it to the house cable. So, we will be buying a dish for the M/H and try the internet connection thru that dish.
I believe (but don't know for certain) that you need more than the TV dish to get satellite internet from Dish Network. I also expect that aiming is more critical for the uplink so you may need to mount the antenna(s) on something more solid than the motorhome.

I believe (but don't know for certain) that you need more than the TV dish to get satellite internet from Dish Network. I also expect that aiming is more critical for the uplink so you may need to mount the antenna(s) on something more solid than the motorhome.

The TV dish will not get you the Internet; the Internet dish (be it WildBlue or HughesNet) will not get you the TV. Edit: Lance is right, they will require that a solid mount be available for Satellite TV install; usually, either the side of a solid-built structure, or a steel pole set in concrete in the ground. Installers must be licensed, as they are installing a transmitting dish.

Again, Satellite Internet is a last option, to be used only if you have exhausted all others. Have you tried AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint, regarding a wireless Internet solution for your home site?

Also, in many areas where there is not a traditional high-speed Internet solution like DSL or cable available, you may find that there is a local "WISP" (Wireless ISP), who will install an antenna to connect to their tower for Internet service. If there is, that would be a better option than any of the others.

Again, mobile Internet through one of the major carriers may still be your best bet, and it will be usable when you travel.

Have you tried running the address or georeference on the new home site through the various carriers' data service availability tools? If not, give it a shot. If you like, I'll do it for you - just post or PM the address.

Last edited:
The TV dish will not get you the Internet; the Internet dish (be it WildBlue or HughesNet) will not get you the TV. Edit: Lance is right, they will require that a solid mount be available for Satellite TV install; usually, either the side of a solid-built structure, or a steel pole set in concrete in the ground. Installers must be licensed, as they are installing a transmitting dish.

Again, Satellite Internet is a last option, to be used only if you have exhausted all others. Have you tried AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint, regarding a wireless Internet solution for your home site?

Also, in many areas where there is not a traditional high-speed Internet solution like DSL or cable available, you may find that there is a local "WISP" (Wireless ISP), who will install an antenna to connect to their tower for Internet service. If there is, that would be a better option than any of the others.

Again, mobile Internet through one of the major carriers may still be your best bet, and it will be usable when you travel.

Have you tried running the address or georeference on the new home site through the various carriers' data service availability tools? If not, give it a shot. If you like, I'll do it for you - just post or PM the address.

We spent the day up at the new house site, and every one in the area is either on hughs net or clear wire, they all say hughs net sux.

The folks on the Good Sam RV page say they get good service thru their mobile sat dish, on the top of ther M/H. but I don't know which ISP they have.

Last edited:
We spent the day up at the new house site, and every one in the area is either on hughs net or clear wire, they all say hughs net sux.

FWIW, the only person I know on clearwire can't stand it either... But, that's why everyone's advising you to stay away from satellite internet unless there's no other option. In your case, it sounds like AT&T's cell network is probably the best option for now...

I got sick of dial-up a few years ago but out where I live there was only the choice of satellite or wireless (their tower to your antenna). I already have Dish Network for TV but I had heard so many bad things about satellite that I tried wireless. It never worked well at all. First they installed a dish on the highest part of my roof. Then they installed it on a 3-foot tripod, then on a 6-foot tripod. Finally they gave up and suggested I try another provider. They were probably losing money on me due to coming out to my house numerous times. About that time DSL became available so I am using that. The thing with wireless is that it needs a clear line of sight. Standing on my roof I could just barely see the wireless tower over the hill. The signal was probably being blocked by blades of grass. Being that you live in the PNW with lots of trees I can see wireless being a problem unless the tower is pretty close.

Also, if you're looking at using a cell device as sole-source internet, you may want to look at AT&T or Verizon's 4g service (the new 4g MiFi devices)

The advantage is that the 4g plans do not have data caps like the 3g plans do. If it's going to be your only net access, it's really easy to go over the data cap.

Back