Going to Sun N Fun this year....any tips?

midcap

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
midcap
I will only be there for one day.

Some things I would like to see, but I am not sure if those things will be there to see.

1. GA aircraft that I can actually buy....doesn't have to be for sale but to look and poke around.
2. Avionic upgrades for older GA planes.
3. Possible some war birds of all eras.

That's about it...

2 and 3 are very do able get there early and start walking.

Minimum of all three. There's a lot more to Sun-n-Fun, such as seminars, airshows, and loose women. Ha! Just checking. But there are a lot of loose men there for you ladies. ;)

Was there last year - going again this year. One note -- bring lots of money -- food is ridiculous! If you're not into watching the airshow that's a good time to visit the booths. Usually not as crowded. Some good deals are there to be had but watch out because you may find it cheaper just a few feet away. If you're looking for something specific to purchase, walk the whole place and get prices. All booths are not created equal:eek:

Was there last year - going again this year. One note -- bring lots of money -- food is ridiculous! If you're not into watching the airshow that's a good time to visit the booths. Usually not as crowded. Some good deals are there to be had but watch out because you may find it cheaper just a few feet away. If you're looking for something specific to purchase, walk the whole place and get prices. All booths are not created equal:eek:

The food inside the gates at all of these events is overpriced and mediocre at best. If you have a car available, decent food is available a few miles away. Otherwise, you can pack in what you need.

The airshow is a great time to visit the booths.

The airshow is a great time to visit the booths.

Tough decision. The airshow is also a great time to watch the airshow.

Don't forget sunscreen. Even though the temperature will likely be pleasant, the sun is still intense and can turn you the color of a boiled lobster quite quickly.

Last year I spent a lot of time in the LSA area. There were quite a few new planes there; some very cool stuff.

Warbirds shouldn't be a problem to see, from WWI to modern day. Got to see an F35 last year and talk with the pilots, which was very cool since I had a small hand in developing part of the sensor suite.

WARNING - Last year there were several hot-looking college-aged babes in skimpy shorts and bikini tops wandering around. They'll start flirting with you, then lure you into a secluded corner. While one of them is rubbing against you and driving you wild, another one lifts your wallet. Last year I was robbed twice on my first visit and three times on my second day. (FYI - cheap nylon wallets are on sale at WalMart.)

Have fun!

WARNING - Last year there were several hot-looking college-aged babes in skimpy shorts and bikini tops wandering around. They'll start flirting with you, then lure you into a secluded corner. While one of them is rubbing against you and driving you wild, another one lifts your wallet. Last year I was robbed twice on my first visit and three times on my second day. (FYI - cheap nylon wallets are on sale at WalMart.)

Have fun!

Yeah heard about that. It'd probably take me a few incidents like that too before I became wise, those wicked and clever young thangs!

Oh, if you camp, don't drop the soap in the shower. Unless you want to. And like that kinda thing. In the shower I mean. The soap. Don't drop it.

Last edited:
Tough decision. The airshow is also a great time to watch the airshow.

The problem is that I've been to SNF and OSH about 35 times in total. Meaning I've seen most of the acts time and time again. I'll step away from the display buildings to watch something new (or old) and interesting, but watching an endless series of loud violent acro acts got old 15 years ago... And the warbirds shows all follow the exact same format with the same aircraft, so...

So Halfie brings three empty wallets per day so he can enjoy "the show"? Well played 1/2!
(and probably an abuse post on my part :( )

The problem is that I've been to SNF and OSH about 35 times in total. Meaning I've seen most of the acts time and time again. I'll step away from the display buildings to watch something new (or old) and interesting, but watching an endless series of loud violent acro acts got old 15 years ago... And the warbirds shows all follow the exact same format with the same aircraft, so...

I am not big into the aerobatic GA stuff. I really like regular boring GA aircraft and the military stuff. Mostly I want to go to see the Avionics.

Been years since I've been to SnF, but I'm kinda the same way having been to so many airshows. But, the last I went this Waco (I think) takes off and you hear that gorgeous radial as the pilot goes by, then begins a vertical climb, and JET NOISE! Holy crap Batman, he's got a jet engine strapped to that thing. Jimmy Franklin, RIP, what a performance. I don't know if that was the first time he did that or not but very impressive with a mix of radial and jet engines throughout his performance.

Back