Going to Minneapolis

foka4

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Scudwalker
I'm in the Minneapolis area pretty frequently, and I'd like to figure out the most painless way to fly into the area, tie down (or hangar) the plane, and get a car for a day or two.

I know a lot of reliever airports have car rentals available, but the price usually seems to be at a premium. Since I'd like to keep the costs "under the radar", I'm looking for some POAers' experience in what options are best.

Any suggestions on friendly airports in the area, easy access to rental cars, etc., would be appreciated.

Matthew

Depends on where you need to go in the Cities. I have used both Crystal and Downtown St. Paul. Crystal seemed more friendly where as KSTP seemed more of a Biz Jet kind of place. As for rentals I have no idea since I was visiting friends every time I have been up there.

As an added benefit, the Minneapolis controller will actually clear you into the class Bravo, so you can give that fancy xponder in the 140 a workout.

Pete

If you know well enough in advance when you're flying in, try Priceline for a car rental. Also, sometimes if you shoot for a pick up, they won't have one so they'll give you a comparable car for the same good price.

I'm in the Minneapolis area pretty frequently, and I'd like to figure out the most painless way to fly into the area, tie down (or hangar) the plane, and get a car for a day or two.

I know a lot of reliever airports have car rentals available, but the price usually seems to be at a premium. Since I'd like to keep the costs "under the radar", I'm looking for some POAers' experience in what options are best.

Any suggestions on friendly airports in the area, easy access to rental cars, etc., would be appreciated.

Matthew

Do you have a transponder yet? If not--none of these are options (as I'm pretty sure you were certified with an electrical system). As far as which airport--it really depends on where you're exactly going. The main GA airplanes are KFCM, KSTP, KSGS, KMIC, KANE, and KLVN. KSTP is probably the most expensive. Which part of the metro area do you visit?

Last edited:
Do you have a transponder yet? If not--none of these are options (as I'm pretty sure you were certified with an electrical system). As far as which airport--it really depends on where you're exactly going. The main GA airplanes are KFCM, KSTP, KSGS, KMIC, KANE, and KLVN. Which part of the metro area do you visit?

yea matt got a garmin SL40 and GTX something or other fancy transponder put in the 140 a couple months ago. hes flying in style now.

Yep, the advanced avionics suite in the 140 is capable of taking me anywhere I need to go.

Generally, when I make the trip I visit Maple Grove, downtown St. Paul, NE Minneapolis (in the evenings), and numerous other places. If I have a car, it's no problem getting anywhere I need to go from just about any airport in the area. The alternative is driving up from Des Moines, so driving across town is no problem.

M

As far as the cars go, the only way to possibly get the cost down would be to call around and see who can bring a rental car out besides the company that the FBO generally deals with...usually Enterprise is your only option there, and I don't know that they're much cheaper.

Depending on your length of stay, you might be able to justify a cab to the "Rent-a-Cheap" offices, though.

Good luck!

David

Yep, the advanced avionics suite in the 140 is capable of taking me anywhere I need to go.

Generally, when I make the trip I visit Maple Grove, downtown St. Paul, NE Minneapolis (in the evenings), and numerous other places. If I have a car, it's no problem getting anywhere I need to go from just about any airport in the area. The alternative is driving up from Des Moines, so driving across town is no problem.

M

For those places, I'd use Crystal. But if you want a free tiedown, there's a place behind my hangar at FCM.

Thanks, Lance. I flew into FCM, but I parked at Elliott Aviation. For the 10 bucks it'll cost me to tie down, it'll work this time. Plus, they had warm coffee in a warm lobby when I arrived. The 140 heater works great, but I'm going to need to install the pilot's side door seal one of these days. Besides, sealing the gap may net me a few knots. ;)

any issues with ATC going in?

at my flight school we ahd checklists printed on laminated 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper. they were great for sticking between your leg and the door to keep the cold out. the 150's and 140's do a much better job of heating when there are two people inside! I flew with a student last night, it was about 25 degrees. brrrr

Tony, I love my new radios. ATC heard me loud and clear on the way in. I was hoping for a chance to take the 140 into the actual bravo airspace, but they politely asked me to stay under it. I wasn't expecting it, but I got a great view of Valley Fair in Shakopee on the way in.

I missed a great photo op, too. I'd arranged for a rental car at the FBO, so when I came back out to my plane after visiting the lobby, they had the car parked next to the plane with the trunk open. Coupled with my garment bag hanging from the wing strut, it was a perfect snapshot of my own twisted form of high-class corporate travel. It caught more than a few glances from the Navajo drivers who happened to be on the ramp.

m

Tony, I love my new radios. ATC heard me loud and clear on the way in. I was hoping for a chance to take the 140 into the actual bravo airspace, but they politely asked me to stay under it. I wasn't expecting it, but I got a great view of Valley Fair in Shakopee on the way in.

I missed a great photo op, too. I'd arranged for a rental car at the FBO, so when I came back out to my plane after visiting the lobby, they had the car parked next to the plane with the trunk open. Coupled with my garment bag hanging from the wing strut, it was a perfect snapshot of my own twisted form of high-class corporate travel. It caught more than a few glances from the Navajo drivers who happened to be on the ramp.

m

nice!

yes you do get a nice overflight of valleyfair when 18/36 is in use.

i think the 140 could outclass most Navajos any day!

Did you request clearance into the bravo? Generally--they aren't going to give it to you unless you ask. If you ask you will almost always get it. That said, I've found it's way easier to just go under the Bravo.

Back