going to alb with my mom

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
  • The cessna is too slow and we'll never get there.
  • Well, i am flight planning for 2:45.
  • I'd have to stop to pee!
  • Fine, we can have lunch, then!
  • Then we'll never get there.
  • Then, we can take the trinidad, and that will take only two hours.
  • You'll forget to put down the gear.
  • Thanks, mom.
  • And it is so huge!
  • We've flown the saratoga so many times, and that's much bigger! And the trinnie has more weather avoidance equipment.
  • We're only going if it is crystal clear weather both ways, and we will take the Cessna so you don't forget the gear.
  • OK, mom.

Ben, unless they've replaced the battery in the Trinnie, I wouldn't take it for any X/Cs unless I was sure I'd be able to get ground power at the other end. I'm reasonably sure it's the battery since it cranks fine on ground power and after a successful start, the charging current to the ships battery is really low, like less than 10 amps, where I expect to see 40+ amps right away with it tapering down quickly.

Albany's a nice flight, even in a 172! I went there in the super-fast-looking-but-not-fast-flying Tampico back in the day when 100 KTAS was about all I could keep up with.

Ben, unless they've replaced the battery in the Trinnie, I wouldn't take it for any X/Cs unless I was sure I'd be able to get ground power at the other end. I'm reasonably sure it's the battery since it cranks fine on ground power and after a successful start, the charging current to the ships battery is really low, like less than 10 amps, where I expect to see 40+ amps right away with it tapering down quickly.

Albany's a nice flight, even in a 172! I went there in the super-fast-looking-but-not-fast-flying Tampico back in the day when 100 KTAS was about all I could keep up with.

Thanks for the heads-up, Tim! Any word on whether or not they're getting a Saratoga?

I haven't heard a word, but I'm only up there every two months or so to maintain my 60 day currency. I take the Trinnie up for a few touch and goes and then go home.

I was at ALB this past weekend. Million Air was great, no fees (tie down for two nights was free) and the fuel was about $1 less than my home field. If you file IFR expect a DP.

I was at ALB this past weekend. Million Air was great, no fees (tie down for two nights was free) and the fuel was about $1 less than my home field. If you file IFR expect a DP.

I was there as well on Friday. Our alternator took a poop and I got stuck. Bleedin rentals! I don't know what time you were there or anything but if you saw the security car rushing down the taxiway that was for us. If you go to Million Air have them give you the courtesy car!! Believe me. You won't be dissapointed! B)

Last edited:

Thanks! The DPs there aren't too bad . . .

Tim, what's the best X-C machine at FFC these days, then? I am willing to get checked out in something else (except the G1000 stuff--no time for that).

LOL you're stuck, then, as all the other singles except maybe one 172 are G1000.

Really, drink the coolaid, you'll like it. The new 182T there is great. Now, if they put a new battery in (and when I squawked the Trinnie last time I specifically said I thought the battery needed to be replaced), then the Trinnie would be a fine X/C machine.

LOL you're stuck, then, as all the other singles except maybe one 172 are G1000.

Really, drink the coolaid, you'll like it. The new 182T there is great. Now, if they put a new battery in (and when I squawked the Trinnie last time I specifically said I thought the battery needed to be replaced), then the Trinnie would be a fine X/C machine.

thanks! Actually, there are a few old school C172s there, but I was wondering if you knew anything about the Pipers?

I'm checked out in the Archers, and they're ok... They're just SLOW... nicely equipped, good autopilots. I don't think you get as much bang for the buck with the archer as you do with the C172s.

I'm checked out in the Archers, and they're ok... They're just SLOW... nicely equipped, good autopilots. I don't think you get as much bang for the buck with the archer as you do with the C172s.

Are they that much slower than the skyhawks? Everything seems slow after the Saratoga, Trinnie, an F33 I fly.

Back