Going on CC tomorrow morning but...

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
I’ve got my real first trip planned since earning my private certificate. It is going to be a $250 breakfast run 111 miles away. I was all stoked until I looked at Google maps and saw that 80% of the trip will be over a hilly forest! Where I normally fly it is flat with lots of open areas so this is new. I will be in a 150 and it is kind of creepy thinking about it. I thought about just planning to another place but I really want to fly to the breakfast place. I’m sure I’m being a pansy but thought I would vent it out. Am I just being a pansy? hahaha

I don't have my ticket yet so take this with a grain of salt but if I were in your shoes I might fly higher than normal to increase my margin of safety, and I would also try to amend my route to allow for a 'plan B' (i.e.staying within reasonable distance of other airstrips, etc).

But ultimately if YOU aren't comfortable and confident flying there you probably shouldn't go.

I’ve got my real first trip planned since earning my private certificate. It is going to be a $250 breakfast run 111 miles away. I was all stoked until I looked at Google maps and saw that 80% of the trip will be over a hilly forest! Where I normally fly it is flat with lots of open areas so this is new. I will be in a 150 and it is kind of creepy thinking about it. I thought about just planning to another place but I really want to fly to the breakfast place. I’m sure I’m being a pansy but thought I would vent it out. Am I just being a pansy? hahaha

Question: Why wouldn't you know this ahead of time? Isn't that part of planning?

I'll trade you that for 150 miles over this.

Last edited:

Congrats on your PP cert........

But... To answer your question... Grow some testicles.... Trust your plane and have fun...:yes::yes:..

You want scary..:wink2::wink2:.

Try building an experimental plane,, and stuffing a NASCAR V-8 in it and test flying it over the tallest mountians in the rockies..:eek:;)

Attachments

• 2012 Xmas. 051.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 051.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 58
Part of ADM is recognizing and planning for your personal and your aircraft's limitations. I think if it makes you uncomfortable there is a reason. A feeling of invincibility would be wrong so I don't think you're being a "pansy". Do what you can to minimize risk and if you find you can't minimize to an acceptable level then reevaluate.

I think you can do it just like your training cross country. Break it up as two short tips and land or not at your point in between. You will always have some trepidation as you extend your range. But it will be a great confidence builder.

Question: Why wouldn't you know this ahead of time? Isn't that part of planning?

Well I knew it was hillier than I have ever flown over but I didn’t realize until today when I looked up Google maps to see my flight path and realized it was over a forest. I actually never looked at Google maps in my training, what did aviators do before Google maps?? It is a good tool that’s why since in unfamiliar territory I decided to look it up. But yeah I will fly higher for sure!

Last edited:
Congrats on your PP cert........

But... To answer your question... Grow some testicles.... Trust your plane and have fun...:yes::yes:..

You want scary..:wink2::wink2:.

Try building an experimental plane,, and stuffing a NASCAR V-8 in it and test flying it over the tallest mountians in the rockies..:eek:;)

Thanks, I will have fun for sure. A pilot buddy of mine is going with me and it is both our first time flying there.

Part of ADM is recognizing and planning for your personal and your aircraft's limitations. I think if it makes you uncomfortable there is a reason. A feeling of invincibility would be wrong so I don't think you're being a "pansy". Do what you can to minimize risk and if you find you can't minimize to an acceptable level then reevaluate.

I know the aircraft can do it, heck its only slightly over an hour flight, I’m just used to seeing ground. So I guess I’ll approach it with caution and expand my horizons, fly higher than normal, and keep a watch out.

You could fly IFR (I Follow Roads) to minimize the risk if you're not comfy with forest.

Where I live, forest and mountains are kinda unavoidable. You'll likely not find a perfect emergency landing site, but you may find an acceptable one (i.e., where the aircraft may be a total loss, but you'll walk away from it).

You can also fly much higher than normal. Altitude makes more options open to you. A 172 glides 9:1. From 10,000 feet AGL, that's nearly 18 miles at best glide. Make sure you're fully hydrated and watch out for hypoxia symptoms. When you're that high, you need to plan your descent or your passengers get ****ed off at you. No more than 700 FPM at high altitude and 500 FPM lower.

I wouldn't worry about being called a "pansy." You're comfy with what you're comfy with, and YOU are the PIC.

Most low terrain has plenty of roads and fields in the valleys. Fly a bit higher than usual (yes the 150 will do it) and watch for roads and whatnot as emergency landing areas. I fly over WV all the time and can always find somewhere to set down in a pinch.

You could fly IFR (I Follow Roads) to minimize the risk if you're not comfy with forest.

Where I live, forest and mountains are kinda unavoidable. You'll likely not find a perfect emergency landing site, but you may find an acceptable one (i.e., where the aircraft may be a total loss, but you'll walk away from it).

You can also fly much higher than normal. Altitude makes more options open to you. A 172 glides 9:1. From 10,000 feet AGL, that's nearly 18 miles at best glide. Make sure you're fully hydrated and watch out for hypoxia symptoms. When you're that high, you need to plan your descent or your passengers get ****ed off at you. No more than 700 FPM at high altitude and 500 FPM lower.

I wouldn't worry about being called a "pansy." You're comfy with what you're comfy with, and YOU are the PIC.

:yeahthat:

Well I knew it was hillier than I have ever flown over but I didn’t realize until today when I looked up Google maps to see my flight path and realized it was over a forest. I actually never looked at Google maps in my training, what did aviators do before Google maps?? It is a good tool that’s why since in unfamiliar territory I decided to look it up. But yeah I will fly higher for sure!

I guess topo maps. Of the paper variety.:)

Well I might be letting it on more than you think. My field elevation is 333ft and my destination AP is 969ft and the terrain is just rolling hills. I mean this is the south east. Actually looking closely it looks to be a few places that could be used. I’m flying from KSTF to 3A1. I’m sure you all would laugh at my definition of a hill! Hahaha It is back roads so the roads are small and not very flat. Ill be fine, it will be a good experience for sure. It is a drop zone But I don’t see them sky diving this time of year.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 45

I've flown a trip that had the final leg in similar terrain. I also learned to fly in a relatively speaking flat area with many, many locations an emergency landing could be conducted.

A couple suggestions:

1. Maintain a good amount of altitude so you can reach an emergency landing area with relative ease.

2. IFR (I follow roads) -- keep a road very close by that you can land on. If a road isn't nearby, keep a sharp eye out for any suitable place you can set 'er down.

3. If something does happen, one recommendation I was given by a CFI who learned to fly in that environment was to fly into the treetops at minimal speeds to minimize the forces that could cause injury.

4. Take a CFI with you if you remain uncomfortable, or at the absolute minimum schedule some ground time to review your plan. If you have that exposure with a more experienced pilot, it hopefully will be pretty easy on your own, next time.

Edited to add: MAKG said most of it already. Shoulda read the thread first. :D

Last edited:
I've flown a trip that had the final leg in similar terrain. I also learned to fly in a relatively speaking flat area with many, many locations an emergency landing could be conducted.

A couple suggestions:

1. Maintain a good amount of altitude so you can reach an emergency landing area with relative ease.

2. IFR (I follow roads) -- keep a road very close by that you can land on. If a road isn't nearby, keep a sharp eye out for any suitable place you can set 'er down.

3. If something does happen, one recommendation I was given by a CFI who learned to fly in that environment was to fly into the treetops at minimal speeds to minimize the forces that could cause injury.

4. Take a CFI with you if you remain uncomfortable, or at the absolute minimum schedule some ground time to review your plan. If you have that exposure with a more experienced pilot, it hopefully will be pretty easy on your own, next time.

Edited to add: MAKG said most of it already. Shoulda read the thread first. :D

Who would seriously do that?

Well I might be letting it on more than you think. My field elevation is 333ft and my destination AP is 969ft and the terrain is just rolling hills. I mean this is the south east. Actually looking closely it looks to be a few places that could be used. I’m flying from KSTF to 3A1. I’m sure you all would laugh at my definition of a hill! Hahaha It is back roads so the roads are small and not very flat. Ill be fine, it will be a good experience for sure. It is a drop zone But I don’t see them sky diving this time of year.

Cullman skydives year round. They did last weekend, although it was warmer last weekend. If you don't cross over midfield during jumping ops all will be okay. They are really good about making a lot of radio calls advising what they are doing.

Who would seriously do that?

Well I am going with another pilot friend. He has more experience than me but not in that terrain, again it is mostly just trees than it is hilly and the hills are actually small. It is going to be about 45 minute flight over the national forest, which is most of the trip.

But who would do this?? I have taken my CFI with me a on a few occasions, post ppl, to pull engine power on me and evaluate my emergency procedures. I actually wanted to take him on this trip but he could not go so I grabbed another pilot who wanted to go.

Unless the 150 has a service ceiling of 3500 ft, I think you'll be fine.

Unless the 150 has a service ceiling of 3500 ft, I think you'll be fine.

Definitely not! I plan to fly at 5500 on the way over there and depending on how I felt doing that(flying over nothing but trees) either 6500 or 4500 on the way back.

Definitely not! I plan to fly at 5500 on the way over there and depending on how I felt doing that(flying over nothing but trees) either 6500 or 4500 on the way back.

My first post-PPL cross country happened the day after I got my PPL. Took off from a field with an elevation of 5800ft, flew through a pass with hills up to 9500ft, and landed at an airport with an elevation of about 5000ft.

I'm not a badass. I just flew a plane. You'll be fine.

First, you'll want to check off the "Wx Go No-Go" box. Unless you are planning on flying in MVFR or IFR conditions Sat AM.

At 5,500' and 6500' cruise altitudes, you will be within glide distance of an airport 75% of the time. You need a 496 with the nearest function selected on all xc's and also XM weather.

The hills are nothing to be afraid of with some preparations. My first long xc with the family was from PMH-SEF. Lots of hills, trees and weather. If you have to go down in the trees, pick a dense forest near civilization if possible. Pack a strong 100' rope for descending from treetop height. Take 1 gallon of water. Take leather gloves. Take portable com radio. Do an extra good preflight. Stay high on descent and circle over airport if it makes you feel better. Always know wind direction so that touchdown speed is as low as possible. Have fun.

If you have to go down in the trees, pick a dense forest near civilization if possible. Pack a strong 100' rope for descending from treetop height. Take 1 gallon of water. Take leather gloves. Take portable com radio. Do an extra good preflight.

Wayne, you bring up very good suggestions that I have never thought of. I do not have a rope nor can I get one by my flight time. If, I know big if I were to go down into trees I would have no way of getting down. Everything else I have already. I have a back trip if I bailed on this one. Maybe I’ll pass on this one for now and hit up my other place until I get more confidence with venturing over a national forest. I know there will come a time I’ll just have to do it so we will see. My passenger doesn’t care where we go, he just wants up in the plane. So it might be better to take my plan B at this point.

Wayne, you bring up very good suggestions that I have never thought of. I do not have a rope nor can I get one by my flight time. If, I know big if I were to go down into trees I would have no way of getting down. Everything else I have already. I have a back trip if I bailed on this one. Maybe I’ll pass on this one for now and hit up my other place until I get more confidence with venturing over a national forest. I know there will come a time I’ll just have to do it so we will see. My passenger doesn’t care where we go, he just wants up in the plane. So it might be better to take my plan B at this point.

Rope, gloves, etc. Strange, I haven't seen this before on POA. On the other hand, those of us living out here in or near the hills often have this stuff. Like denverpilot, I've been thru too many safety seminars about flying out here in Colorado.

I've got heavy leather gloves, used them for fueling the airplane. Hanging on the emergency bag are two Petzl carabiners and I have no interest in climbing! Never know when you'll need them. And inside the bag is 100 ft of never-used parachute cord.

Caveat: Let's not turn this into the "what I carry in the airplane" thread. There's already a few of them on POA.

Go fly it. Do you planning them enjoy it. You'll get more comfortable with time and experience. Go enjoy your ppl :)

Geez.... if the weather is good... Go fly the plane... :dunno::rolleyes:

Ummmm. look at a sectional?

I only worry about "hilly forests" if I will flying over them at night. And my 210 doesn't fly as slowly as your 150. You can plan the "IFR" option that others mentioned, and fly as high as you can to preserve options. I am pretty sure that the person who suggested taking a rope and gloves was joking--that was a first for me!

Wells

It's the basic conundrum of flying. We invented it expressly for the purpose of conquering, and even laughing at these obstacles but we have to trust our machine to do it. There are those who will tell you that you have to fly gliders to learn not to be afraid of engine failure but your standard glider pilot isn't going to go where you are going. Your chances of catastrophic engine failure may be nil but they are not zero.

Nor are your chances of contracting brain cancer or dying in an automobile accident tomorrow.

Enjoy the flight - that's why you became a pilot to begin with. If you can't scare the crap out of yourself every once in awhile and get away with it what's the point of living?

Last edited:
How'd the flight go, sim?

Well I got over it and pressed on with our plans. Saturday morning what was supposed to be a pretty day turned into 500ft scattered and mist. It slowly started to lift but the taf was showing 2000ft for our return. But even still I pre flighted the plane and we waited for the weather to improve enough to leave. It never happened as my time slot for the plane ran out and someone had it after me. So.....I will do it another weekend and make it a lunch run instead of breakfast to let the morning clouds and mist burn off.

I was upset as I really wanted to go!! Oh we'll, on a good note I'm going to the airport tomorrow to sign up for my instrument rating!

No you're not a pansy. Just cautious. It's a new experience for you. Here in FL we fly over water....Saturday night I flew 10 miles across Tampa Bay. I try not to think about sharks or alligators...with experience you'll get to trust the plane more. Others have given great suggestions. Have fun.

Back