Going into St Louis next week, relievers?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
for the NCAA 3rd/4th rounds.

Any opinions on the St Louis relievers, was thinking KCPS or KSUS. CPS is closer to final destination, both have rental cars available.

Any recommendations?

Only flew into KSUS once. It was probably around 8:30 or 9 PM on a Sunday. They have a bunch of FBOs, none of which are cheap. I went to Aero Charter, which was friendly and the cheapest fuel. Good experience, but it's on the west side of the bravo, which may or may not be convenient for you.

It's been a few years since I've been to SUS, but it is a nice airport with a nice FBO. I flew into CPS last fall, and it worked out perfectly... they had my rental car waiting.

If you are headed from Eastern Tennessee, I'd presume that CPS is closer... so I'd just go there. As well, you are likely to get less vectoring due to the Bravo airspace.

One caveat. CPS is on the East side of the Mississippi (it's actually in Illinois). Just make sure the I-55 bridge isn't under repair, or you may have a detour to get across.

You'll be happy at either, but as you noted CPS is closer.
If you have the time and interest, Creve Coeur (1H0) has 3 hangars of old aircraft in pristine condition (lots of Wacos). Costs $10 for a tour.

My old CFI is a King Air Captain for Aero Charter, they are a new FBO and have the best prices at SUS. He said they have a crew car available for short periods and have rentals for longer. He said to give them a call and they will take car of you.

I've flown the Glasair into SUS and CPS. Both were nice fields, but the service at SUS was superior by far. CPS seemed like they didn't care if I was there or not. They weren't rude, they just didn't seem to notice me. SUS was full of bigger aircraft, but I went there (because the wx was OVC004 and I needed an ILS) and they treated me very well.

ALN might be a consideration.

I've flown into both ALN and CPS, as I have grandsons in Edwardsville, IL. CPS is excellent-very easy to get to St. Louis. I used MidCoast Aviation; they gave me a good price on both gas and hangar, (it was an Angel Flight) and the facilities were lovely; I've heard they're very pricey otherwise-- you might want to check both FBOs to see who's got the better deal. ALN is an OK airport, but not as convenient to St. Louis, I think. The FBO I used when I went there was a flight school that subsequently and unsurprisingly has gone broke, and I haven't tried the other one.

I've been to SUS twice and CPS once. As already mentioned, CPS is actually across the river from downtown St. Louis, so traffic might be an issue as you are limited by the bridge.

SUS seemed to have better customer service.

Either of them are a non-issue as far as navigating the Bravo - STL is very small-bird friendly.

I was based at KSUS years ago and while it's a nice airport with good facilities I wouldn't call it "close" to downtown. KCPS is closer, in fact just across the river from downtown, but not in the greatest neighborhood. We went to Ideal which is the smaller of the two FBOs and they very friendly and helpful. KALN would be my last choice. It isn't close to downtown and the airport seemed pretty deserted. We went to West Star which was OK but I guess I was expecting something more like the West Star in Grand Junction.

Bill, I don't know what you're flying and how much runway you need but...KFES is a hoot. The city planned ot close it and a bunch of local pilots took it over. It's much easier for me to justify supporting an airport like FES than it is a KSUS with another Millionair and other chain FBOs. FBOs that would much rather pump kerosene.

It's probably just as close to downtown as KSUS and one helluva lot cheaper.

When are you flying in? I am flying in some folks in for friday night's games. I will be at Ideal at CPS around 3:00 to 11:00 Friday

Back